July 24, 2014

Bones: The Boy in the Shroud

by Richard Keller, posted Sep 13th 2006 11:27PM

Bones -- The Boy in the Shroud(S02E03) Boy, there was a lot going on this episode, besides the crime that Booth and the specialists at the Jeffersonian Institution were trying to solve. There was tension, a touch of romance between two of the specialists, and a continuing theme of children and family that has permeated the second season. So, without preamble, we go forth.

One of the things about Bones is they don't mess around getting to the point of the story. This week was no different as the show opened with Agent Booth and members of the Jeffersonian at the scene of an accident where they find a decomposed body wrapped in a shroud. Back at the Institution, computer specialist Angela Montenegro is able to pull tissue imprints from the shroud to produce a facial image of the young man who died. This was a good thing, because Angela was very much in the background during the first two episodes of the season. This week she played a more pivotal role, which didn't include a visit to her magical holographic box.

It turns out that the victim was dating a street girl who was part of the foster system. She and her brother (save that information for later) were able to stay together in the same foster home for over a year now, but were about to be separated. The girl had disappeared after her boyfriend's death and hadn't been seen since. So, it was now up to Booth and Bones to find out how the victim died and where the girlfriend was.

In the meantime, tensions were heating up between Bones and her new boss Doctor Cam Saroyan. This became very apparent when Bones wanted her associate Jack Hodgins, to research a rose that was found in the dead boy's hands while Cam wanted him to analyze hundreds of rust samples on the hunch that the boy was killed with a rusty metal pipe. Bones won the skirmish, but not without Cam's ominous warnings about replacing her. Of course, if she left the Institution the show would probably be over and we'd be watching a dark screen for 60 minutes (which FOX would probably be able to sell ad time for).

While this was stewing, Agent Booth and Bones continued their search for the dead boy's girlfriend. They, well really Bones, thought some of the other street kids would be willing to give up information on her whereabouts. They weren't but a married couple passing out aspirin and sandwiches to the little urchins did know of her last whereabouts, which was in an abandoned warehouse. One thing was clear at this point in the investigation: the boy plunged out of one of the warehouse windows to his death. The only suspect so far: his girlfriend.

Then again, maybe not. It seems like the 'Sandwich and Aspirin' guy was trading his wares for sex with underage girls. He denied it, but that pretty much flew out the window when he was discovered dead with a bullet to his chest. At first, Bones thought the boy's death and this new one were connected. Nope. Actually, it was the man's wife who shot him. One crime solved, but still no answer to who killed the boy. This, even after the boy's girlfriend confessed to the murder.

Angela to the rescue once again. Through a bit of role-playing Booth and the other members of the investigation team re-enacted events as they thought happened at the warehouse. After some keen deduction they realized that the girlfriend wasn't trying to her boyfriend but to save him after someone else hit him with a rusty metal pipe. That second person . . . the girl's brother, who was pissed at both her and the boyfriend for splitting his family up. With that solved the only other item to clear up was the relationship between Cam and Bones. In the end a mutual agreement was made that allowed Doctor Brennan to defy Cam three times per week.

Okay, frankly I knew it was the brother as soon as I saw him; credit it to watching hours of Law & Order. Yet, it was the way they came to that conclusion that was entertaining. Where last week's episode was extremely heavy in the scientific portion of the investigation, this episode relied more heavily on characterization. There were some very nice touches, especially the interaction between Angela and Hodgins. Remember, I didn't watch this show last season, so I don't know if this little romantic thing Hodgins has is a carryover. If it is, it's a cute one that's a nice inclusion to the show. Now, I'd like to see a bit more of grad student Zach Addy.

Oh, by the way, in the warehouse scene Bones and Booth chase down a boy who's wearing a hoodie the dead boy had worn prior to his demise. The boy they nab and question is, I believe, none other than a grown up Scotty Leavenworth, who played Ruthie Camden's boyfriend Peter on 7th Heaven. If I'm wrong please correct me.

Otherwise, see you next week.

subie

Ignore my posting #8! Amazon re-spelled "Enan" to "Egan" because she's the one they have, I guess! Sorry about that - but at this time, Amazon does NOT have a Susan Enan CD.

September 28 2006 at 4:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
subie

I couldn't find the song on Susan Enan's CDs. Further searching suggests the song "Bring on the Wonder" is by Susan Egan with a G, from her "debut" album, scheduled to appear soon.

September 28 2006 at 2:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tess

Thanks so much for the song info. I have been looking for it as well, it is so beautiful. Great episode

September 20 2006 at 1:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sarah

I commented this before with an e-mail address that got temporarily deactivated for lack of use, so no telling if that comment will ever show up, but just in case...

I LOVED the song at the end of this episode so much that I spent about ten minutes of my life trying to figure out what it was. Eventually, I found the song name and artist (via Myspace, go figure). It drove me nuts until I found it, and just for you guys out there like me that will go insane as well, here it is:

Song Name: Bring On The Wonder
Artist: Susan Enan

She can be found at: http://www.myspace.com/susanenan

Enjoy that. Beautiful song, wonderful episode.

September 19 2006 at 5:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda

Does anyone know the name of the song that was played towards the end... and the singer?

September 19 2006 at 12:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Laurie

I, too, thought that the kid in the hoody was Scotty Leavenworth. I didn't catch the credits, but I do think that's him!

September 15 2006 at 6:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gaz

I agree, I love Cam and she is a great addition. She brings conflict which was mostly lacking before and she puts Zack in difficult situations, which isn't necesserily a bad thing.
Yay for David's shirt. His humor is reflected in his choices.
And Bones almost looks like a flower child next to Cam and her power suits. It's nice.

September 14 2006 at 5:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

This was a good episode and I really enjoy the tension between Cam and Bones, mostly because I like the fact they're allowing Cam to assert her authority without being afraid of losing every person in the department. Granted, the Booth remark probably hurt Cam more than the Angela remark, but at least she compromised while still retaining her authority -- that's more realistic than letting Bones do whateveer the hell she wants simply because everyone likes her more. Tamara Taylor has been an excellent addition to the cast.

September 14 2006 at 12:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lacey

okay, first, In the first season it's pretty obvious that Hodgins has a crush on Angela...I don't remember if he ever comes out and says it to anyone (maybe Zach) but it's obvious...nothing has really happened on this front yet.
I hope they get together though.

Second, through most of the episode, David Boreanaz was wearing a shirt that said "Super Villian" lol, I thought it was awesome, and I want one. (he's actually wearing it in the scene that the picture above is from...but the picture's too small to tell.

Overall this was a pretty good episode. I really liked the part where Booth flat out told Cam that if she fires Bones, he goes too.

It's a great show, and one of my current favorites...but do they need to get so SUPER sappy at the end of EVERY episode?

September 14 2006 at 8:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply