December 19, 2014

Eureka: Primal

by Will O'Brien, posted Sep 13th 2006 12:41PM
Carter and Allison get it on in front of Stark
(S01E09) Eureka has become one of my favorite shows. The show's been a nice balance of science fiction plot and character development. But I really respect the fact that the previews don't give away the store. Eureka has taken the approach of combining classic premises in interesting ways.

Being true to character, Lojack's been hit by a car. If we pay attention, we hear Jo call Taggart one of "the best in the world." Fargo's Bluetooth for the brain is intriguing. The brain interface has been a staple of sci-fi for years. Combining them with nanites for the plot is a great concept. Adding in the colorful Eurekites makes another interesting episode.

Stark's response to the divorce papers showed just how much of a social reject he is. Who calls their divorce papers 'little things'?

I loved the nap conversation between Allison and Carter. I didn't expect it, but it made me smile. Allison vs. Taggart was even funnier. They actually gave Taggart some lines this time and Matt Frewer got a chance to bring him to life. Matt's an entertaining actor, and I can't wait to see what he does next.

On a side note, Eureka needs to be turned way up to get all the jokes. There are quite a few mumbled/quiet lines that you'll miss if you don't kick it up a notch. When I do my reviews, I watch the show so I'll have an honest response. Then I step back through each scene. I've found a number of lines that slipped past me on the first round. (I've roped my wife into re-watching a number of episodes, it's not just me)

In another fit of consistency, I found it interesting that Carter and Allison both use work as a way to plow past their emotions. Last time Carter used it when he was pissed at Zoe. This time Allison used it to drop the subject of the divorce (although she claimed that she was fine).

Maybe it was just me, but Taggart looked a bit guilty when Carter asked him if he has a nuclear bomb. I think that Mark took a jab at Ed Quinn's abs in this one.
Carter: "But he's not perfect"
Taggart: "Have you seen his abs? It's damn close."
I've been listening to the Eureka podcast episode commentary and Colin has made a few references to just how built Ed Quinn is.

I just loved the conversation about Stark's dreams.
Carter: "You dream about world domination?"
Stark: "Not all the time.."

Carter's solution to the problem of subconscious nanobot control was a form of inspired cheesy never previously known to modern man. Making out with Allison was fantastic. So many episodes just torture you with a kiss between leads, but we get it early. Editing might have incorporated a bit more of Zoe's expression, but it was a great scene.

The look on Allison's face and the two of them trying to lead was perfect. The line about 'God and country' was just perfect. I could only wish for the opportunity to deliver that one.

One more time we get to see Jo in a dress – looking hot as ever. And she's asking Taggart 'I only wear shorts' to dance? Somehow it fits.

I felt bad for Carter at the end. I really, really, really wanted Allison to come get him for a dance at the very least. Cater taking off his ring and ending up with Lojack for a date was a poignant. In true Eureka tradition, we get a little laugh out of Carter's last words..

The preview for next weeks episode is interesting at the very least. Jo wants to "tear it up" and that was definitely Allison getting naked.

Whatever

Anyone know that song that plays during the party at the ending

January 01 2013 at 9:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

When I saw the pilot, I thought this show wasn't going to make it onto my must-see list, but I agree that it gets better each week. The one thing about it that really bugs me is one that seems to bother almost everyone. That would be Taggart's so-bad-it's-gotta-be-fake accent. I think the only way out of that would be to have it revealed that Taggart's not really a native Aussie and that he actually has been faking an accent for whatever reason the writers can come up with.

There positively needs to be more reasons to get Jo in a dress and all dolled up. It almost looked like a different person playing the part when she walked into the party.

September 13 2006 at 11:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bud_AV

Nomination for the best one-liners of the week;

Stark: "I look pissed."

September 13 2006 at 10:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ginny

I've really liked this show from the first scenes in the pilot, and this week's episode has solidified my love, love, LOVE for it. Yes, cheesy excuse for an extremely hot slow dance and kiss, while Stark does an extremely hot slow burn. I had to rewatch immediately just for that scene, but picked up on a lot of misheard lines the second time through. You're right, the sound level is really low.

I'm all set to listen to all the podcasts now. This show better be around for a good few seasons, it makes me laugh. Also, Carter? Hawt.

September 13 2006 at 8:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

"I have a weee little nitpick for this one. When the nano-stark is approaching Allison Carter and Taggart get on the scene pretty stinkin' fast for people who are locked in the tunnels. Maybe that was just a bad edit..."

Carter and Taggart heard the scuffle from the tunnel they were in, so it stands to reason that they were pretty close and just opened the closest vent to help her. I would have preferred if it showed Carter in the opening of a vent after taking out Nano Stark.

September 13 2006 at 4:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Chichian

Is anyone else getting the vibe (both from the show and the webisodes) that Jo and Taggart are dating?

I was begining to think that Lojack and been dropped from the series. Isn't this the first time we have seen him since the pilot? I like the symetry that Carter fed him just like Cobb used to. Where did Cobb go to when he retired?

September 13 2006 at 3:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MrC

Taggart has a nuke, no doubt, from his reaction. I enjoy Matt Frewer (Max Headroom (the show, not the coke ads) still stands as one of the best tv sci-fi, and one of the most precient shows I've seen), but his faux aussie accent just bugs the hell out of me.

Maybe Taggart will have an accident at some point and wake up without the accent.

I also liked the Buffy reference.

September 13 2006 at 2:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mack Swift

You're right about turning up the volume to catch all the mumbled jokes, but overall another solid episode of Eureka.

Though the previews don't give the actual plot completely away, I find myself putting together the main story and the one or 2 subplots together a little too easily.

Matt Frewer's a great character actor, but that Aussie accent he's flubbing though sucks. He's gonna have to fix it.

I really felt bad for Carter at the end. But I think the show would've been ruined if they went any further then the cheesy kiss to save Eureka.

Jo's frakking HAWT. Nuff' said.

Allison's frakking HAWT as well (next week's preview caused drooling).

Oh, and all the Battlestar Galactica previews they keep showing all over Eureka is causing spasms!!

September 13 2006 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply