October 1, 2014

Rock Star: Supernova: Last Performance Night

by Deidre Woollard, posted Sep 13th 2006 7:06AM
rockstar4This is the last chance for the rockers to do their thing to impress the voting fans and they really do give it their all. But first a blast from the past. Ryan Star got the nod to do the encore based on fan votes and sings his original Back Of Your Car. His album will be called Dark Horse (after his name on the show) and he wins a car. Sometimes it seems like the ones who already left the show are getting the better deal.

The finalists sing their original and a new cover. For his cover Toby starts in on Karma Police while wearing Wayfarers, fingerless gloves and a denim jacket. Did I just slip and fall into 1985? He falters early on but does a bit better once he gets warmed up. He invites Magni up to play with him on Throw It Away. I thought this song catchy the first few times, now I'm just bored by it. And enough with the EVS, writing it on Magni's head is just a step too far. He's gimmicky and cheesy and still my pick as the Supernova front runner.

Lukas begins slow singing the Coldplay song Fix You and showcasing that voice that can just be so sweet when he lets it. Then he turns it into a rock anthem which is a risk but works for him although his rooster strut doesn't quite mesh with the song. He doesn't play to an audience the way Toby Rand does but he's damn fun to watch. He sings his song Headspin while playing acoustic guitar. Not a great move in my opinion. And oh look, Paula Abdul is in the audience.

Dilana sings Roxanne with the entire group as backup (looks like Lukas is trying to upstage her a bit). She seems to have recovered from her calf injury. Before she sings Super Soul she tells us it is "a freedom song" not an angry song. Oh really? Has she listened to her own words? The boys are wowed as usual but I suspect they are just humoring the little lady.

Magni sings Hush form Deep Purple which is an odd choice in my opinion. He follows it up with his song When The Time Comes. His song is actually becoming more appealing to me as time goes on. He's still pretty much generic rock and the band gives him the same sort of pat on the head they dish out to Dilana.

In my opinion, it's down to Toby or Lukas and the power of the Rand Wagon versus the Rossi Posse. The blue-eyed Aussie popster or the Canadian glam rocker. On his blog Dave Navarro says in his opinion it should be between Lukas and Dilana. Certainly they were the early front runners but I think that no one anticipated the popularity of Toby.

The results so far are Dilana, Toby, Lukas and Magni. Dilana in the top spot? That's got to change.

Lou Lou

Well... good on Lukas but I have to say that the other three were ALL WAY MORE WORTHY. And I think that was obvious to anyone who has an ear for music or an eye for Cool. Lukas is a sweet kid who had a hard life and has a folowing of little goth rock gals and boys who are following the cool groove of the moment (like my li'l sister). It's not people who are going to buy CDs or be reliable to the band in terms of expenditure apart from gigs. Obviously that's all Supernova's about which is sad after the CRED of all the bands they've been in - as sucessful as they've been. People want something cooler, less try-hard. Next year it will be somebody else. With the slightly older crowd (who've been into anyone other that Lukas), we are the ones who have $ to spend on our music. But now? Hmmm. Dilana Toby Magni RYAN C'MON.

September 14 2006 at 9:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
phish73

I was just watching the Guns 'n Roses 1991 concert (where they started a riot) and i realised what a TRUE rockstar is.
None, and i mean NONE of these chumps can compare to the ORIGINAL (except for drummer) GNR lineup.

can any of these poseurs and wannabes be in the same league as Axl? have u seen him live?
and gilby compared to slash / duff ? puhlease.
Jason cant match the genius that is Izzy, and tommy is SHIT compared to matt sorum, his solo drumset his legendary.

having said that, its true that vocals are secondary when it comes to rock, personality, songwriting, arrangement are FAR more important.

Thus, my prediciton for final 2 will be Toby and Lukas, with Lukas being picked as the frontman.
He is the best of the lot, but come on, i dont see this "band" lasting more than 1 world tour, 1 Album.

Though i hope lukas branches out and goes solo and writes some amazing stuff.

September 14 2006 at 12:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
navalou

watching live, can't wait for a new post on this site... Lukas sucks and I am shocked... these guys deserve what they get which I suspect once the dusts settles will be medium success only... pity... Lukas is so damn annoyimg . He is singing the Supernova song at the end Toby did... but no where near as good!

September 13 2006 at 9:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Duane

Malren, there's 10 comments on this post. 3 for Dilana, 3 for Toby, one "Lukas Sux", and 2 pointless comments about how the show sucks. You'd think Lukas' large fanbase would show up at least 1 in 10 opportunities. Or are you it?

September 13 2006 at 9:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zak

Bottom line - you are all foolish - SuperNova or whatever they will be after tonight (they lost in court) will be a side project for a couple of months and then you will never hear from them again - you really think Tommy is gonna leave the Crue? Or Jason leave Voivod? No way. This was a quick way for a couple people to make a quick buck - we did get some cool music out of it and the house band is fantastic - when there CD comes out - I want it. Lukas "I need Fonix", Dilana "Wahh, Wahhh, Wahh", Magni "Of course I am in Live", and Toby "Am I Fred Durst or Joel Madden" are all ok singers, but none of them have one origianl Bone in there bodies... none - do you REALLY, truthfully see ANY of them front and center of these 3 guys... No way... Think of the front men that have been with these guys before... James Hetfield.... Vince Neil.... Axel Rose...... what do they have in common?? They are all self Centered SOB's.... People love them, People Hate them.....they may not be the best singers, but they are truly a force to be wreck'n with, even without there bands... These Singers are not just Singers, they are Front men... they take the Audience with them and Say "YOU ARE GONNA LIKE THIS BECAUSE I SAID SO!!!" .... they are born leaders.... they take the bull by the horns and have Rocky Mt Oysters for Breakfast.... none of the last 4 Singers on Rockstar can be that person... honestly... I am not trying to be a downer, or anything like that - its just the truth - they may all have great futures in the music business, and then some, but they are not a good fit for this band... none of them - sorry guys - my vote is for Tommy, Jason, Gilby and Dave to team Brooke and kick back with a frosty one.... but that will never happen either.... Oh well....

Later freaks...

September 13 2006 at 4:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shana

Lukas SUX!!!!

September 13 2006 at 2:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bluephoenik

Can't stand Lukas - can't stand his voice, can't stand his performances - can't stand that WHINY song - "you make my head spin - WHY WHY "

Yes Lukas- why are you doing this to us?

Dilana should win - she's the best performer all around- but let's face it - the band doesn't want a woman to front them.

September 13 2006 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
malren

Duane, you aren't loking very hard. Lukas has an enormous fanbase.

September 13 2006 at 11:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Duane

I have yet to see anybody on the Net saying they think Lukas should win - except the band. I've seen love for Dilana, Storm, Ryan, and now even Toby, but the majority of my traffic is people searching for Rockstar and other reality shows, and I bash Lukas weekly, and still nobody comes to defend him. I just can't understand why the band has chosen him as the winner.

September 13 2006 at 9:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dtt

yes -- again the house band and the (2 be losers) have upstaged and outstaged the "big band". (Especially if Supernova picks Lukas.) Props to the show for letting these guys sing their originals, and again I want to point out that in my humble opinion (to add insult to injury for "Supernova" the band) each of these originals are much better than any one of the 4 originals that Supernova has "shared" with us. Imagine that.

September 13 2006 at 9:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply