September 2, 2014

Is Norm MacDonald thinking of doing a fake news show?

by Joel Keller, posted Sep 14th 2006 2:58PM
Norm MacDonaldOn the Howard Stern show today, Artie Lange was talking about his buddy Norm MacDonald, who was supposed to be on the show this morning, but bailed (he was on Letterman last night, though). Lange mentioned a few items that were interesting: Firstly, he thought a specific "Weekend Update" joke about O.J. Simpson -- after O.J. was found not guilty, Norm said something along the lines of "Murder is now legal in Southern California." -- is what got him fired from SNL. Then-NBC exec Don Ohlmeyer was friends with Simpson, and rumors had always floated around that he was always pissed at Norm's O.J. jokes (even though Leno was doing plenty at the time, too). This is the first time, though, that I've heard that a specific joke got him fired.

The second item Artie let slip was that Norm loved doing "WU" so much, that he'd love to just do fake news until he retires. Because of this, Norm may be looking to do a show like that. Not a bad idea; I always liked him on "WU", even if his weridness didn't go over well with the audience, I always admired his "I don't give a shit what people think" attitude. Would you watch Norm do a fake news show? Let me know in the comments.

CML

Oh come on, he just wasn't funny.

Even the examples of jokes given above weren't funny.

I did love his show "Norm," though.

I think Weekend Update was the wrong venue for him.

September 15 2006 at 10:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric

I would watch this religiously. Norm Macdonald was far and away the best WU host. I even liked Dirty Work and the Norm Show. Norm Macdonald could be my favorite comedian of the past decade.

September 14 2006 at 5:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gigohead

Folks, Norm was not fired for the f-word. The big honcho had it in for Norm's head writer and Norm put up resistance and he was gone from WU, but not the show. Artie is not the voice of the beaver, it's another guy.

Joel, love for you to share your tidbit on the forum on www.norm-macdonald.com/forum.html. We have pictures of Norm and Artie on www.normnews.com, Joel, feel free to copy the one with Artie and Norm and post it on this page.

September 14 2006 at 5:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

I second Harry's idea that Norm become part of The Daily Show. They could use some people over there and Norm would fit better than OJ's glove. If he brought along a weiner dog, it'd be doubly good.

September 14 2006 at 5:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kate

I like the Bell commercials he's doing with Artie currently. They play a couple of beavers. Yes, they do.

I don't think we need another fake news show. We've got The Mercer Report and This Hour has 22 Minutes here in Canada plus the Daily Show and the Colbert Report down South. Maybe he could do some specials.

I always loved his weiner dog shtick.

September 14 2006 at 4:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vito

There's actually a great deal of discussion about why Norm was fired in Tom Shales & James Andrew Miller's book Live From New York. Don Ohlmeyer never thought Norm was funny, evidently, and mistook the audience's nervous giggling for a sign that they didn't think he was funny. I've heard it was a tobacco company joke and I've heard it was OJ, but I think the bottom line was that Ohlmeyer just plain didn't get Norm's comedic style. Personally, I always thought that the audience's reaction was the beauty of Norm MacDonald. He kept you smiling and entertained even when the jokes weren't on target, and that takes skill. Not to mention that there were almost always 2-3 hysterical jokes in every show.

But overall, they just didn't treat Norm as they should have. He was every bit as instrumental as Will Ferrell or Darrell Hammond in making people think SNL was back on top again.

September 14 2006 at 4:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Harry

Why doesn't he become a correspondant on The Daily Show? He'd be great!

September 14 2006 at 3:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
const

Agree with you all regarding Norm and Miller being the best WU anchors. Will be glad not to see Tina Fey doing the news (if I even watch SNL).

Any idea on who are the new anchors? Is Amy Prohler still around? It really got weak.

September 14 2006 at 3:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lacey

Norm was on Letterman last night, and he's a funny guy but he said "ya know?" about 15 times in the like 5 minutes he was talking to letterman, it was driving me INSANE. lol

September 14 2006 at 3:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DanGarion

I would so watch it. Norm and Dennis Miller were the best guys that ever did WU on SNL.

September 14 2006 at 3:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply