September 20, 2014

NBC to stream all its new shows online

by Anna Johns, posted Sep 14th 2006 10:49AM
studio 60 castNBC is jumping on this whole internet video thing by offering free episodes of six new shows online after they air on the network. They will be available on the network's new video player, NBC 24/7 starting on October 1st. To accompany the free episodes, there will also be behind-the-scenes blogs by actors, writers or producers of the six shows.

The plan is to offer the first four episodes of its new comedies, Twenty Good Years and 30 Rock; and the first eight episodes of new dramas, Kidnapped, Friday Night Lights, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, and Heroes. The idea here is to get the new shows in front of as many eyes as possible and then lure people back to the television set to watch the rest of the season.

Chris Haines

I am in Canada and I cannot watch NBC shows online. I guess I will just keep downloading them with Limeware and bit torrent. Good good NBC! Way to learn from past mistakes. I would probably be willing to pay a couple bucks to watch episodes online, but thanks to your inability to realize that the Internet transcends borders, I will keep getting your shows for free.

October 23 2006 at 11:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scififan9009

Fansite & forum. They've got every video there is for this show.

October 20 2006 at 12:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

I do think NBC is doing a better job than CBS or ABC wrt to generating early buzz for their shows and utilizing the web. I was poking around on CBS and ABC's websites and the content and sites for the new TV shows are terrible. Really embarassing. I mean, if you are releasing a new show, how hard is it to provide some wallpapers and some other nice downloadable media? It's free advertising guys!!!

NBC is also to be commended for its Office webisodes and the NBC Universal Battlestar Galactica episodes for the Sci Fi channel.

Sure they can do a lot more. The blackout for folks outside of the US/Canada is senseless as others have stated.

September 14 2006 at 5:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nicole Simon

Well great, love it - oh wait a second, let me guess: It is again just for viewers in the US, right? :)

*sigh* when will they ever learn.

September 14 2006 at 4:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sonya

I'm all for this because I'll be able to give a show a chance online that I wouldn't have made time for on TV. Add the necessary commercials, work with the Guilds to make sure everyone gets fairly paid and you've got a winner.

September 14 2006 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
HeroesFan

This is a great move by NBC. Catering to a larger audience while still pushing out the advertisements as well. I just wonder how they will acurately tally ratings.

On a side note Heroes is going to be the break out hit of the season! The pilot episode is streaming at http://www.heroes-tv.com

September 14 2006 at 12:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply