April 24, 2014

Celebrity Duets: 6 Perform

by Richard Keller, posted Sep 15th 2006 7:29AM

The remaining six of Celebrity Duets(S01E03) It's about 1:00 a.m. as I write this, so let's get down to the business at hand. To recap from last week, Lea Thompson was let go. I'm surprised, since I thought she did a fairly decent job. I'm guessing that a number of wives and girlfriends called to vote her off because they were tired of their husbands and boyfriends ogling Thompson in her mini-skirts. And now, this week's performances:

1. Lucy Lawless and Dionne Warwick: This was one of Lucy's better performances (this coming from the man who thought she should have been let go after her first week). She was a nice fit to Dionne's husky singing. Judge Marie Osmond liked her performance as well, but thought she was being a bit timid. Judge Little Richard also liked her performance (although it was hard to tell). Finally, Judge David Foster agreed with his colleagues, but requested that she sing her next duet in a higher harmony.

2. Alfanso Ribeiro and Denise Williams: It was Alfonso who had throat problems this time around (Jai Rodriguez had them last week). Still, his performance was very strong. Marie critiqued his moves rather than his singing, saying that his movements should match the song styles. Little Richard enjoyed Alfanso's performance, I think. David told him not to whine about being sick.

3. Carly Patterson and Jesse McCartney: Carly was in the bottom three last week and survived to return for another performance. This was her best so far, but her voice was drowned out everytime her and Jesse sang together. Marie requested that Carly loosen up a bit while singing, Little Richard said something about pushing and pulling, and David asked that she sing from her diaphragm rather than her throat. As those of you former high school choir participants know, you project stronger and further when you sing from your diaphragm.

4. Hal Sparks and Dennis DeYoung: A nice job by Hal; his singing style and energy were finally fitted to a proper song and duet partner. Marie said he did a great job, Little Richard said he needed to get more blues, and David thought Hal wasn't a rock star. Whatever that means. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if he made it to the final four.

5. Cheech Marin and Aaron Neville: I may be wrong again, but I think Cheech will be the one leaving the show this week. Aaron Neville was the wrong duet partner for Cheech, especially with his falsetto singing style. Marie sensed that he was having a hard time finding a beat, Little RIchard was losing his voice, and David said Cheech didn't belong on the show anymore. I actually agree with David.

6. Jai Rodriguqez and Taylor Dayne: Jai was okay, but not as good as he was the first two weeks. Personally, I think Taylor Dayne was the wrong choice of duet partner. Marie thought he related well to the camera, but that he needed to work on his dance moves, which were particularly awkward this week. Little Richard said . . . oh, forget it! I have no idea what he said. Finally, David said that Jai's performance was a big miss this time around. I agree with David.

My pet peeve for the week is the way the celebrities bring on their duet partners. They sing two or three verses and then make introductions, which break up the logical flow of the song. There were some songs performed last week that had logical places where a singer could be introduced, but they seemed to miss the mark this week.

Terrie

I thought Alfanso Ribeiro brought down the house again. He gave an outstading performance once again. How can he not make it to the finals? Out of everyone's singing his voice is truly a gifted one. I hope I get to see his white boy's dance! Way to go Alfanso Ribeiro !! BTW Happy Birthday!

September 22 2006 at 8:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Preston

I can't believe that David Foster called Marie Osmond that name! It's rude and disrepectful! Where were the censors? Because it would have looked pretty bad on live TV! Is there backstage sqabbling from those two that we don't know about? I think that the celebrities shouldn't introduce their duet partners--we know who the familiar singer is from the song the band is playing. Just leave it as a secret surprise--don't blurt it out. Keep singing the song as the singer comes out. I loved seeing my girl Deniece Williams (Niecy) back on the stage! As well as Dennis DeYoung of Styx--he still has energy a good 25 to 30 years later in his performance with Hal Sparks! And Taylor Dayne looks great! I was so happy to see Deniece and Alfonso sing Too Much, Too Little, Too Late--I loved that song back in 1978! The perfect duet song back then that Deniece did with Johnny Mathis! Very nice update of that song too! Even though some of those stars aren't on major record labels now after Columbia, A&M, Arista of others dropped them, they still sound great in 2006! I would love it if Wayne asks them if they have new albums or projects out or even have concert tours at this moment.

September 16 2006 at 3:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CastingGod

Not sure what to make of this show. As far as Alfonso goes. This guy learned how to TAP DANCE,on Broadway and had no experience Tap dancing. I remember clearly watching him at 8 years old and he just had so much charm that we were blown away. We signed thsi kid and got his 1st BROADWAY SHOW at eight. As for Marie Osmond, stop with the MARS bars Marie, and girl you have the money, get someone to do your hair. I didn't think Marie had any constructive ideas at all. I just think she had to say something. She nit picks and it's tacky. As for the rest of the people not a Hal Sparks fan never have been. It's a SAD filler for the Summer rerun season. Hell, reruns of GIRLFRIENDS would have been better than this.

September 15 2006 at 12:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ducdebrabant

I agree about the cast making the celebrity introductions. Not only does it break up the logical flow of the song, but it makes the contestant into our host, which is presumptuous. It is not the PRIVILEGE of a contestant to introduce a music star, it seems to me. Who the hell is Jai Rodriguez (my favorite so far) to introduce Gladys Knight. The should just let the celeb walk on and put their name on screen in a caption, or have the host announce it over the music.

September 15 2006 at 10:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim Goral

Why oh why do they even bother with Little Richard? He spouts nonsense ("I hope you got the buggy, 'cuz I got the horse.") and it's not clear that he's even listening to the performances. And just to belabor a point that came up during American Idol, the viewers don't vote anyone off, they vote for the one they want to stay. If Leah got the fewest votes, it only means she wasn't the favorite that night. If viewers actually did get to "vote off" the celebs, I think the standings might look a lot different.

September 15 2006 at 10:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stephanie

ummmm.... u totally skipped the part were David Foster called Marie Osmond a B*TCH!!! I could not even believe it when I heard it! In my opinion she wasnt being mean just telling them things to work on!!!

September 15 2006 at 8:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Terrie

I thought Alfanso Ribeiro is always giving a top notch performance. He is a professional and sure has the stage presence that the other's lack. His smile lights up the stage. I just hope they bring in Tom Jones during the final show and let him blast "It's not unusual to be loved by anyone". He will bring down the house.
Hal screams out his songs. Lucy uses sex to get her vote. Jai is good but he showed his lack in the singing skills this week. I want to know why David didn't ream him for having a sore throat the week before.
Carly and Cheech are the next to go.
I have never watched a singing show before but Alfanso Ribeiro caught my eye. He was so good on Fresh Prince.

September 15 2006 at 8:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply