October 24, 2014

Lost is NOT the best TV drama of all-time

by Bob Sassone, posted Sep 15th 2006 8:49AM

KlostermanYou know, I really want to like Chuck Klosterman. He's probably the only person in the world who takes pop culture more seriously than I do, and he often has some interesting things to say. But more often than not he's simply maddening. And you know what else? The guy is just incredibly wrong, time and time again.

Case in point: in the new Esquire, he calls Lost "the best network drama in the history of television." Sorry Chuck, but you are sadly mistaken.

Look, I love Lost. It's a fantastic show. But when you go around calling it the best drama that's ever been on TV, that's a lot to live up to. What about The Twilight Zone, The West Wing, Hill Street Blues, St. Elsewhere, The Sopranos, ER, Gunsmoke, one of the Star Treks, The Fugitive, Buffy, Homicide, Law and Order, The X-Files? And that's just off the top of my head.

It's obvious Klosterman doesn't really watch that much television, unless it's reality television. He tries to come off as someone who has watched all of television and is able to proclaim Lost as the best drama of all-time. But it's all surface knowledge. Lost is complex, Lost is popular, Lost is a very good show, and Klosterman doesn't really know much about TV drama, so all that makes Lost the best TV drama ever.

And you know how you can tell Klosterman is wrong? He proves it himself, by saying the only other (let me repeat, the only other) TV show that could compete with Lost as the best ever is Twin Peaks. I guess because Twin Peaks was hip and edgy and different than anything else on TV at the time means it was the greatest, or second greatest.

It's fine for people to have their opinion. Everyone is entitled to theirs, of course. But Klosterman always tries to position himself, pushing his opinion as fact. And that's just lame.

Mr. Orange

24 (period)

there is so much drama/suspense in that show, its crazy.

October 05 2006 at 10:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

NYPD Blue.

September 19 2006 at 11:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aimee in Little Rock

I think that Lost is the most intelligent dramas that I have ever seen, however I am only 26 years old, and have not seen every television show that's ever aired, so what do I know? There might be something I missed.

I understand the perspective that a show must "stand the test of time", but the creators of Lost do not intend to keep Lost around for more than 5 seasons maximum. Is that going to be enough to qualify for your standards?

September 18 2006 at 3:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phish

Bob, have u LOST your mind?
I am an avid TV watcher, a fanatic, i give every show a chance, and i know how to pick 'em.
All the shows i've been hooked on have gained commercial if not cult fame!
Hand's down, Lost is the BEST show on TV right now, and is the BEST show i have ever followed!
The writing is genius, the concept is ground breaking.

Just look at all the copy cat shows since Lost: Heroes, Six degrees, The Nine, etc.. etc.. all take something from lost.

Finally a TV show that treats us as curious, intelligent, imaginitive viewers and not mindless morons!

For this alone, it should already be given the "best show of all time" credit!

September 18 2006 at 2:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Big D

re: #9 hahahaha
Some of Mine:
Rescue Me (Current #1)
The Shield (Until this comes back...)
Nip/Tuck
NYPD Blue
Life On Mars
The Wire
Rome
Lost
Veronica Mars
and on...

September 16 2006 at 1:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Denise

I almost forgot a big one: what about 24? That's a pretty good drama, in my opinion.

September 16 2006 at 8:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Denise

How could anyone think Lost is the best drama of all time? Unless, of course, they only started watching television that past couple of years or so. Even then, I'm not sure they'd be right. There have been so many great dramas over the years, you can't proclaim one the greatest if it's only been on for two years, and only one of those years was good. C'mon people, look at your television history. What about the Outer Limits, NYPD Blue, L.A. Law, Alfred Hitchcock, and many more, including Dragnet and Bonanza? Television didn't just start two years ago.

September 16 2006 at 7:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Howard

Without thinking too much about it, I would agree with you that it's not the best of all time. However, reading the alternatives you suggested would only make me lean towards agreeing with Klosterman instead. The only show on your list that might be better than Lost is the West Wing.

September 15 2006 at 5:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
derek

Chuck Klosterman? I thought the photo was Sally Jesse Raphael.

September 15 2006 at 2:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe Winter

It's a little disingenous not to quote him fully. He said: "Lost is probably the best network drama in the history of television." That's different than saying that it is, even taking into account the qualifier he put that Twin Peaks might be better.

September 15 2006 at 1:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply