October 22, 2014

Project Runway's top four collections revealed

by Annie Wu, posted Sep 15th 2006 2:52PM
Tim Gunn and Heidi KlumToday at NY Fashion Week, the top four designers of Project Runway (the real top three and a decoy to throw off the press) presented their collections. Quite a few interesting things to mention... Of course, if you want to wait until next month to see the collections, do not read any further! However, if you want to be really naughty and take a sneak peek, come along.

You have been warned!

Michael KnightMichael Knight: Honestly, I'm a bit disappointed. I've spent almost all season happily yapping about this man's great personality and his consistently strong work, so, clearly, I expect his collection to blow me out of the water. Sigh. I'm underwhelmed... and a little bit sad. Going by this presentation and this presentation alone, I don't think Michael came out on top. However, although this collection isn't exactly top-notch, he's been doing wonderfully all season and that might be enough to pull him through. I'm only saying this because, despite having a shitty draperies and upholstery collection, Chloe Dao won last season.

Uli HerznerUli Herzner: Seriously excellent stuff right here. It looks like a cohesive collection but Uli clearly didn't fall into the one-piece rut that the judges recently warned her about. I love how everything is distinctly Uli's (which means she incorporated a lot of fun prints). The lines are long, lean, and sexy... Hell, I even liked the crazy little bikini. Actually, I can't find anything I don't like about this collection. Wow. In no way are these clothes my kind of style, but I'm seriously impressed! The design, the construction, everything looks great. I think Uli has a fantastic chance of pulling in first place. Bravo!

Jeffrey SebeliaJeffrey Sebelia: Wow. At first glance, I never would have guessed that this is Jeffrey's collection. From the way he was going on and on about his rock lifestyle and how he loved to dress rock stars and his favorite way to rock and his favorite kinds of rocks, I expected a lot more rock. Instead, I see baby doll dresses and lots of flowy, light fabric. The only thing even remotely close to Jeffrey's style is the green, striped blazer. Plus, as the judges often say on the show, it looks unfinished. I can't help but feel as though this is the decoy collection... and if it's not the decoy, then Jeffrey procrastinated and threw everything together in two weeks.

Laura BennettLaura Bennett: Now, these, I like, but that may be because it's more of my personal style. They all look wonderfully tailored, youthful yet sophisticated, and, most importantly, varied (because Laura had the tendency to make the same sort of dress over and over and over again). Out of all the collections, I'd probably be most likely to wear something from Laura's collection... However, it lacks the pizazz that Uli's collection clearly has.

Alright, my final predictions: Uli will win. Laura pulling in a close second. Michael will place third. Jeffrey has the decoy collection, meaning that he will be Auf'd next week. Vincent will create a time machine and travel back to the 80s, where his creations will actually be considered innovative.

Jennifer

Although I loved Michael Knight throughout the show, when it camed down to Fashion Week I think Uli should have won. I wanted Michael to win but I think that everyone including myself developed such a high expectation from him and when his line came out for fashion week, our adrenaline was just so high up in anticipation that I don't really think that any of the designers could have delivered the kind of line or show that we expected or wanted to see from Michael.

October 30 2006 at 12:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
laurie

I am sorry that Jeff won. I still think he did get someone to do some of his sewing for him. I loved Laura's dress. But what happen to the red dress she was working on when Tim went to see her.

October 20 2006 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Secils Kloset

I think Michaels collection was HOTTTTT!!!! He showed style, innovation and excellent use of textile choice to represent his line. I think this young man has a great and bright future in fashion.....Go Michael you have all my support and wishes.

October 08 2006 at 4:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

Ok, since the Finale is almost here, I think we should move on and forget about Jeff's picnic table couture design...I haven't seen it personally so It probably is "couturely designed " that's why it won, ALSO get over Chloe's design already, it is her design aesthetics and she won already! so get over it! It's not like she showed some Glued unfinished garments on the runway, those clothes are very well tailored & designed just not everyone's cup of tea ...Moving on.

Loved Laura & Uli from the very begining of this season, Michael crept up into my fav's. list, I would've like Jeff ( business wise - those Rock Star garments sells big time here in L.A. and BIG$$$) but his attitude is just phenomenally Obnoxious ( he yaps too much for a guy )

I can't wait for the Reunion show, I wanna hear what that Demented Vincent has to say about the comments he blurted out on Entertainment Weekly...That guy really needs some serious mental meds, so glad he got the boot.......twice

JMO

September 24 2006 at 9:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Chichian

Suze - you did not miss it the show was a repeat of season 2's finale. I think the drop to the final 3 is next week, followed by the reunion show, and then the finale.

September 21 2006 at 9:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Suze

I thought that Uli had the most incredible collection! Yes I know what the judges kept saying about her "one" look, but her use of fabrics and those styles would look flattering on just about anybody! I thought Jeffrey's clothes were consistently whacko, Laura's were pretty, but too safe and Michael's were just average and a bit too "shiny".

So, now that the final episode is over, does anybody know who won? I didnt realize it was on early tonight, and am so upset I missed it!

September 20 2006 at 10:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Chichian

I re-watched the couture ep this weekend and for pity's sake all I couild think during the runway show was that Jeffrey was trapped in elementary school and was giving as the visual version of "I see London, I see France...". The only other possibility was that he wanted the judges to read the model's lips (both sets).

September 19 2006 at 11:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Meade

For me, Michael's the most together talent of the group. Safer, but younger also. Laura's a delight to watch, elegance always wins with me. Uli, in third IMHO, has a style that shines through, if a bit repetative. Jeffry's is simply such an anti-social mess, his works gets lost in his 'tude.

I think Kane got shafted (I miss him already)! His style (except the bottle cap dress lol) has been impressive. He's not afraid to FEEL his creations. I can't figure out how the yellow plaid beat his ombrey vision. The yellow was poorly made, didn't even cover the panties, small things the judges would have flayed others for.

September 18 2006 at 7:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

The judges don't seem to like Uli through, I love her. It's sad to see the best one "mess up". Micheal was great this season and Danial V was great last season and it seems both failed in the end.

September 17 2006 at 10:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Margo

This season has been very different from the other two.
That's why I am addicted to this show. I have rooted for Michael because I'm from the Atlanta area, Laura because of her wonderful construction skills, Jeffrey for his rock and roll influence, and Uli for her free- flowing designs. I hope Kayne goes into the elegant costume arena, because I think he would be great.
He was always so fun. Just loved the Final Five.

September 16 2006 at 8:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply