September 2, 2014

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip -- an early look

by Bob Sassone, posted Sep 15th 2006 3:59PM

Studio 60

I'll have a full review of the Studio 60 pilot after the show premieres this Monday (NBC, 10pm), but here's a sneak peek at what you can expect, and my first impressions.

I haven't seen all of the pilots yet. I've seen many of them, and Studio 60 stands so far above them it's almost like they have to say, "this isn't television, it's Studio 60," but HBO already snagged that tag line. Besides, there's nothing else on TV that's more TV than Studio 60, since it's set in the world of television.

First off, you have Aaron Sorkin as the creator/writer. Nothing else really needs to be said, except maybe list his resume: The West Wing, Sports Night, A Few Good Men, The American President, as well as an uncredited script doctor on several movies, including Schindler's List.

Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford star as Matt Albie and Danny Tripp, the genius head writer/producer (respectively) of Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, an SNL-like show. They were ousted from the show four years ago, and now after an on-air meltdown from the creator/producer of the show (Judd Hirsch), the new head of the NBS network, Jordan McDeere (Amanda Peet) wants to rehire them, not only to calm any fallout from the controversy, but to also bring Studio 60 back to its former glory). McDeere's hardass boss, Jack Rudolph (Steven Weber) isn't too keen on the idea, but he also wants Studio 60 back to where it once was and wants to please his bosses too.

I'll save all of the nitty-gritty details on how the duo comes back to the show, what secrets they have in their past, who has slept with whom, who likes whom, who dislikes whom, etc for my review on Monday night. I've seen the first two episodes of the show and it truly lives up to expectations, but that's to be expected with Sorkin and Thomas Schlamme behind the scenes and the actors listed above in front of it (oh, and I haven't even mentioned the supporing cast yet: D.L. Hughley, Sarah Paulson, Timothy Busfield, Nathan Cordrry, and others). And this won't be just a fluffy behind the scenes look at an entertainment show. Judging from the second ep, Sorkin will be confronting some heavy issues (religion, censorship, the media). It just so happens it also happens to be deliriously entertaining too.

I really hope NBC (and viewers) give this a chance to catch on.

David

You can legally watch the pilot on AOL. I really enjoyed it. My only complaint is that there are too many charaters and not enough time. There were several I didn't have a clue what they were doing there and it just got crowded. But it's classic and because of that will probably be canceled in a day.

My favorite line is between Matthew Perry and some male boss that fired him 4 years ago.

"Not do anything that embarrasses NBS." - Guy Boss
"If you stuck a camra in front of two people masterbating it would be along the least embarrassing thing on the network." -Matthrew Perry
*Male Boss turns to newly hired woman*
"I already have several masterbating shows in developement." - Woman boss

Like I said I don't know what some of the people do and what their point is.

September 18 2006 at 1:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Igor

Studio 60 aired last night in Canada (CTV). I really enjoyed the show and will probably replay it a few times to make sure I understand the relationships between the characters. There is real chemistry between Matthew Perry and Bradly Whitford. This is only going to get better....

September 18 2006 at 12:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chris w

I watched the pilot the other day. It was smart and funny. This is going to be one I'll start watching when it begins its regular rotation on NBC.

September 17 2006 at 11:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beth

I hope that Peet gets to stay. I liked her character, and I liked Peet playing her character.
Plus, it's not like anyone in his/her right mind is going to stop watching one of the best shows to hit TV in recent years because the not-even-main character is mildly grating.

September 15 2006 at 7:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anya

I watched the pilot ... it's amazing television! I honestly can't believe this is actually going to be on broadcast television. Tell as many people as you can ... WATCH THIS SHOW!

September 15 2006 at 5:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gwangi

In response to Jon, you remember Mandy from the West Wing. Yeah, he will do it.

September 15 2006 at 4:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Morgan at Spot Cost

Sounds like a lot of work went into this, but I can't think of much less interesting than a dramatized behind-the-scenes look at the drama of the television industry. But I suppose Entourage does well.

September 15 2006 at 4:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon Lachonis

Found this on digg... says peet is gonzo...

September 15 2006 at 4:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply