October 1, 2014

Survivor: Cook Islands: Premiere

by Deidre Woollard, posted Sep 15th 2006 6:55AM
survivor(S13E01) Here we are folks, at the everso controversial racially-divided Survivor. So far, it's all fairly tame, after all everyone is always polite in the beginning, but there are definitely some standout tribe members. With firewood, fish traps, a live chicken or two all up for grabs, we start with the scramble off the ship as the tribes make their way to their separate islands.

Over at Aitu, Billy thinks the Hispanics have an advantage because they are used to being in a tropical setting. Billy also thinks he knows how to do everything but he doesn't seem to know what he is talking about. Meanwhile adorable Ozzy helps out in a non-confrontational way. I pick Ozzy as an early favorite in this season. J.P. seems to be the one who is already playing the game and he is definitely aware of Ozzy as a threat.

Over at the Puka tribe, the rice jokes begin immediately. On the Asian tribe, Cao Boi is the one who feels like he doesn't belong, He's definitely the odd ball among the dedicated and determined team. He pulls the "bad wind" out of Brad who has a migraine and slowly seems to be winning over at least the other men. The women seem a bit more put off but there is something really likeable about this guy, I think that he and Yul are the most interesting ones on this tribe.

Over at the Hiki tribe, Stephannie says they feel the need to "represent" (this was the clip from the pre-season commericals that I found a bit cringeworthy). The tribe says they have a disadvantage because the are city people. On this tribe, Nate and Sekou seem to be the early standouts although Sekou seems to have a wicked case of ADD and his bombastic style alienates the . Rebecca and Saundra bond early leaving Stephannie as the odd girl out. It's too early to count her out, I have a feeling she's someone to watch this season. I'd like to see her and Nate form an alliance.

Over at Raro, the whites seem slightly embarrassed to be with only with other white people. Jonathan the writer gets philosophical about things. He's got a very Richard Hatch look going on (and he's a chicken stealer). Raro also has a couple of bedraggled chickens. Jessica has major tribal hair and it's only the first day. She looks to be this season's Courtney. Beefy Adam snuggles up with Candace for what may be the most boring romance in Survivor history. Of this crowd, Parvati seems the most interesting one (I had to pick someone).

The first challenge involves puzzles, paddles and of course, fire. The Puka team wins followed by Aitu and then Raro leaving Hiki to debate immunity. It seems that having three men and two women is more of an advantage than being of a certain race.

The last twist is that the losing tribe has to chose one member of one of the winning tribes to go to Exile Island for two nights. Jeff points out that the two men make the decision. They send chicken-stealing Jonathan off to Exile Island which makes him even more whiny and angry. Look for him to get in a screaming match sometime within the first few weeks.

At Hiki two guys try to make an alliance with Stephannie and vote with Sundra. It comes down to Sekou or Sundra with Sekou getting the final vote which means that the ladies decided to stick together. Did they vote out their weakest link? I think not but they probably voted out their most annoying tribemate.

Jim Gleeson

I can't help but agree concerning the whole social experiment being on the audience. I just don't see what all the fuss is about. The segregation of the races puts all the races on equal footing: something that previous segregation did not do. Sure they paid lip service then to "Separate but equal" but this time around it is "separate but equally miserable."

Secondly, unlike segregation of the past: you can leave the game at any time. And when was the last time that segregation led to the possibility of winning a million dollars?

Karma is a Bizzle fo Shizzle. As far as chickens go: all is fair in Survivor. If only they had put "Flicka" which reminds me of the name of a movie about a horse, under a box for the duration.

September 18 2006 at 9:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Denise

Thanks for "bizzle". My sister's playing that Gold Rush game and she asked me what was said since she doesn't watch Survivor, but I couldn't remember. As far as the controvery over race goes, I think the real "social experiment" was the way the general populace reacted to the division of tribes this year. Sure seemed like someone was afraid of something, doesn't it?

September 16 2006 at 8:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

I hate to retype it but we watched it several times to try and figure out what the one guy said about Karma. I believe it was 'Karma's a Bizzle'

I think.
Chris

September 15 2006 at 3:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave Caolo

Why did that dumb girl let those chickens out? That was unbelievable, I couldn't stop laughing. She's also the artsy "alternative" chick, and they don't often last very long on this show. Look for her to make an early exit.

September 15 2006 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Craig

Karma is a Bizzle, what ever you need this little nugget of information for? ;)

September 15 2006 at 1:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

I recognized Jonathan as an actor too, but couldn't quite place him. Maybe he is hiding the fact from his fellow tribe mates, the way the ex Quarterback and Astronaut did in previous seasons.

It was kind of dumb to nominate him to go to exile island when they could have sent one of the stronger players in hopes to weaken them when they rejoin their tribe and possibly get an edge.

I don't see Jonathan as being a problem. He was shocked he was picked, but didn't appear to be angry. He was cold, but I didn't see him as whining about it.

September 15 2006 at 10:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kel

I was happy to see probably the first non-baseball related appearance of a Dominican on Network TV (the rocker guy), then it turned out that this guy is kind of a joke. Also, was it just me or did Jonathan sound alot like Alan Alda?

The racial thing? No big deal. Races exist. Enjoy the diversity and get over it.

September 15 2006 at 10:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

I'm mainly surprised that Jonathan is described as a writer considering his significant acting career. My girlfriend recognized him off the bat from "The Naked Truth" (Tea Leone's show), and I remember him from the movie "Down Periscope".

September 15 2006 at 10:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Denise

Can anyone tell me real quick what was said about karma during the episode?

September 15 2006 at 9:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Frost

Don't forget Jessica's, what was that nickname again, encounter with the chicken box. She basically let their protein for the next week escape to be devoured by whatever animals live on the island. Forget tribal council, I'd banish her immediately until she caught those chickens.

September 15 2006 at 9:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply