April 18, 2014

Stargate SG-1: Company of Thieves

by Will O'Brien, posted Sep 16th 2006 9:03AM
Sam contemplates the ships transponder
(S10E06) The previews really gave away the plot on this one. In my half sane sleep deprived stupor, even I knew that the Odyssey was getting captured by the Lucian Alliance. I was surprised to see Rudolf Martin playing another evil villain (Anateo). I really started to loath his character on NCIS, so I was curious to see what he'd do with his roll.

Claudia just shines in this show. Her maintenance techniques would be well suited to an owner of a British sports car. Will they ever make up their minds about Daniels glasses? Just give the man some laser surgery and be done with it.

It's probably because I'm so tired, but I just didn't find the scenes at the Alliance that interesting. The risk of detection was there, but they just didn't engage me. To be fair, I've had a really, really, really long week.

There were a few really enjoyable scenes. Vala kicking the cloaking device was priceless. The lieutenant telling Jackson that he's always prepared was almost an homage to Spaceballs.

I ended up being a bit disappointed with Rudolf. Rather than taking evil to a new level, he virtually reprized his NCIS role. I did get some extra enjoyment out of his end. The writers seemed got a little stuck on the bait and switch tactics. After the first few times, it becomes expected.

I know I'm griping a bit on this one. It really was a pretty good episode. I'd like to see it tie into the season a bit more. The Ori have been massively glossed over as the season progresses. From the preview for next week, maybe they'll finally track down Merlin's weapon. I suspect we won't get any real resolution on the Ori until the season (and series) starts to wrap up. In the meantime, the SG-1 galaxy just seems to be falling further and further into pieces.

Chris Winiarski

I believe that Stargate SG1's fate lies in the stars. Many of Star Trek's "extras" have become famous.(e.g.Joan collins) I think SG can be a vehichle for many lost stars the same way that Pulp Fiction was for John Travolta. A once good guy/gal cast as a villan. I think that there are a host of actors out there that would love to show thier chops on shuch a show as this.

September 22 2006 at 10:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Natasha

He's a member of SG1 and I would expect his experience over the last 10 years has put him in a position where it would be rediculas for them not to call upon it if there were no ranking officers on the bridge.
I have enjoyed season 10 and am saddened that the show was cut short when it still had potential.

September 20 2006 at 6:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
max smith

I liked the episode. I know that there has been better, but the shows been going on for 10 years, if they slip alittle, oh well. I just hope they don't cancel.

September 19 2006 at 8:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

It needs to end. This episode was horrible and just lame. This is Stargate, use the damn Stargate! Why was Daniel the captain on a military ship? it would be like having Vala be captain. Hell why was Vala even on the ship?! She stole one before!

September 18 2006 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David A Moehrke

I must disagree. My wife and I really enjoyed this ep, and I for one would rate season 10 as one of the best since season 5. I know that I am in the minoity here, but I even liked season 6 without Danel. I am not saying that I son't like Michael Shanks because I did miss him, but I did not mind Jonahs. I think the worse season was the first half of season 8. The second half was much better. I will miss SG1 next season, and I hope, but doubt MGM will be able to continue SG1 on air.

September 17 2006 at 5:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

Guys, don't panic, that's just the summer season finale. SciFi breaks up the series into 2 "mini seasons" and the show will be back in March, 2007 to finish up its run. I do hope, obviously, that the status of the series' future changes by then, but if it doesn't I'm sure there'll be sufficient fanfare for a series like SG-1 which deserves a great send-off.

September 17 2006 at 1:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

re:"the season finale"

This is standard SciFi procedure. And it is dumb.
When the regular season hits it half way point, they like to pretend it is a full season and advertise it as the "season finale"

They have been doing this for years and it is ridiculous.

September 17 2006 at 11:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anthony

Yeah I noticed that it was the season finale. Still a little shocked.

September 17 2006 at 9:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

Did anyone notice that they said the episode next week is going to be the "season" finale!!?? I'm sure we would have seen a big announcement if they decided to keep the show around, but maybe they have decided on a network to move it too. I don't know, but I think this show still has a season or two left in it.

I definitely felt that the eppy was rather blah. The Atlantis episode was only slightly better.

September 17 2006 at 1:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

Maybe I'm just tired of the show, but I just thought this episode was rather boring. Granted, the always great Caludia Black once again stole show and Ben Browder finally got to act the leader of the team he's supposed to be, but overall the story was boring. I wasn't even all the saddened, let alone surprised, when Col. Emerson was shot and killed. We saw the coming a mile away -- it was like he was wearing a red shirt!

September 16 2006 at 12:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply