October 21, 2014

Law and Order: Criminal Intent season six premiere -- an early look

by Richard Keller, posted Sep 17th 2006 6:14PM

The sixth season cast of Law and Order: Criminal IntentBack in March we reported that Law & Order: Criminal Intent was rumored to be on the cancellation block due to its rotating cast and drooping ratings. Apparently, that wasn't true. In fact, executives over at NBC were impressed with the 11 million viewers per week it was able to retain up against such Sunday night powerhouses as The Sopranos and Desperate Housewives. So, when the new fall schedule came out in May CI was right there, ready for a sixth season.

This is good. Despite it being the youngest of the Law & Order trio still on the air (the original is entering its 17th season while SVU will be starting its eighth season this upcoming Tuesday) I personally feel it's one of the best. Yes, even better than SVU, which has gotten a bit stale as of late. This was confirmed while watching a preview copy of the CI season premiere. I'll tell you all about it after the jump. (By the way, slight SPOILERS ahead).

First, a bit on what has changed on Criminal Intent. The show has been pushed out of its former Sunday night slot (due to Sunday Night Football) and now resides on Tuesday nights at 9:00 pm, right in front of its older sibling SVU. Gone is Jamey Sheridan as Captain James Deakins, Annabella Sciorra as Detective Carolyn Barek (who was Detective Mike Logan's partner) and Courtney B. Vance as ADA Ron Carver. Sciorra is replaced by Julianne Nicholson as Detective Megan Wheeler, and Vance is replaced by Theresa Randle as ADA Patricia Kent. Neither of these actors appeared on the preview DVD.

Sheridan has been replaced by Captain Danny Ross, played by Eric Bogosian. As you would probably assume, Captain Ross isn't immediately enamored to the tactics of his major forces detectives, particularly Robert Goren (Vincent D'onofrio). In fact, he asks Groen's partner, Alexandra Eames (Kathryn Erbe) to watch over him, just to make sure that he doesn't get too creative with his investigation. However, Eames has been paired with Goren long enough to know and greatly appreciate the tactics he uses to catch the right person.

Where the former Captain spent most of his time in the office and let his detectives run the show, Ross is more of a hands-on type of boss. This is evident in the season premiere, as he takes a more active role in the investigation of a serial killer who seems to have returned after several years of hiding. As the investigation proceeds, however, he allows Goren more and more freedom to work the case. Especially since his partner is kidnapped and tortured by the killer.

If you've watched any episodes of the Law & Order franchise you'll probably guess who the serial killer is after the first 20 minutes. Then, after another 10 minutes, you'll really know who the killer is. However, it's the way that Goren comes to the conclusion of who it is that's the entertaining part of Criminal Intent. And the way he gets the killer to confess is just so suave; like two old friends having a conversation about the weather.

The season premiere of Law & Order: Criminal Intent is this Tuesday. Next week the second detective team of Mike Logan and new partner Megan Wheeler step up to the plate. Hopefully, we'll have another episode this season where the two teams get together on an investigation.

Carol Day

I like
Chris Noth but I love D'Onofrio You can monkey around all you want with supporting cast but we need more Goren and Eames. They work so well off each other. Thanks too for the little bit of back story on Goren last week

November 23 2006 at 12:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
muldare

Does anyone know why Annabella Sciorra is no longer on the show? And whether they offered any storyline explanation.

November 19 2006 at 8:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joni

They're alternating detective teams every other week because the intense work schedule was too taxing on D'Onofrio's health. He'd experienced some fainting spells.

November 09 2006 at 6:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pan O'Connell

I want the original cast back. I don't care for the new characters at all.
I watch the show faithfully, but just can't get used to all the changes. Why can't they just leave well enough alone?

November 02 2006 at 2:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Margaret Kennedy

My favorite show and I hope NBC will restore the cast we have always liked. Goren and Eames are the big drawing cards and it isn't necessary to try to beef up the supporting cast with an annoying new captain. With the lack of good movies on cable, I am now relying on broadcast networks for decent programming and the reality shows don't appeal to me. I prefer intellectually stimulating shows like CI.

October 25 2006 at 7:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Walter Huston

Law and Order:CI is the most interesting show on television. Goren is the show!!! The new Captain is a little too much because it seems that his character is stealing the scene from Goren and Eames. The legal angle should be emphasized more. We need to see more of Goren and Eames. Stop tinkering!!

October 19 2006 at 1:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Debra Duerksen

Someone asked about Erbe's husband and baby. She had the baby as a surrogate for her sister and now considers the baby to be her nephew. The show belongs to Goren, Eames, Sheridan and Carver and should have stayed that way. Chris Noth and his parter are just annoying and their new boss is a joke. I'll give it a few more weeks but without D'Onofio and Erbe, I'm gone.

October 11 2006 at 7:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marty Holmesq

Why is Erbe seeing a psychiatrist? what did I miss? Was it the kidnapping? please advise. will we ever see her husband or her baby?

October 03 2006 at 9:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Naomi

I LOVE Criminal Intent! It's the best show on tv right now, except for the every other week of Chris Noth, who is OK, but is NOT of the calibre of Vincent D'Onofrio. OK, I'm out of the loop, but could someone PLEASE explain to me why Goren/Eames are only on every other episode? I've read odd bits here and there, but nothing makes any sense. NBC are you are listening: Keep Vincent D'Onofrio on CI or you will have NO audience at all! And, who was the Fool who decided to take Jamey Sheridan and Courtney B. Vance off the show? BIG MISTAKE!! Please bring them BACK!

September 29 2006 at 4:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pan O'Connell

I hate it that they have changed the cast. CI is my fave and I really liked it the way it was.

September 28 2006 at 5:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply