July 31, 2014

Coppola's The Conversation becoming TV series

by Adam Finley, posted Sep 18th 2006 2:33PM

gene hackmanFrancis Ford Coppola's small scale masterpiece The Conversation may soon be an ABC series with Coppola himself serving as executive producer. The series will take place in the present day and center on surveillance expert Harry Caul, played in the original film by Gene Hackman. The series will reflect on advances in surveillance technology, including digital spying. Christopher McQuarrie, screenwriter of The Usual Suspects and director of The Way of the Gun is writing the pilot along with Band of Brothers writer Erik Jendresen. Tony Krantz (24) is on board as a producer. The plan is to have a specific story for each episode, with an over-arching storyline centering on the various government agencies tracking Caul. The men behind the new series are currently attempting to close a deal with Touchstone Pictures and Krantz's Flame Ventures to serve as studios for the new show. Given the talent behind this, I could see it really taking off. It'll be interesting to see who they get to play Caul.

kerry

I'd probably watch this, though I agree that it might wear thin and/or have a hard time finding an audience on network TV.
(I, too, thoroughly enjoyed Enemy of the State and I think people who didn't are crazy.)

September 18 2006 at 6:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

imo yatesy, Alias is the show to look at on how to NOT do a spy show.

September 18 2006 at 5:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
yatesy

ooo i think this would be great! spy-type shows are very cool if done right (see Alias)

September 18 2006 at 3:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

My main worry is the concept will be stretched to thin to go in a TV show. Part of the greatness of the film was the travel into Caul's own personal paranoia. That kind of thing can't get stretched too far or it becomes unbelivable.

September 18 2006 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

This has some great potential. The Conversation is a great movie (don't worry Akbar, i enjoyed Enemy of the State also). Let us know when this one hits the airwaves!

September 18 2006 at 3:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

I like the idea, but not sure it would do well on network TV. Is it wrong to admit I enjoyed Enemy of the State? (especially with its nice nods to The Conversation)

September 18 2006 at 2:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply