November 22, 2014

Gilmore Girls season seven premiere - an early look

by Joel Keller, posted Sep 18th 2006 10:03AM
Gilmore Girls on the CWIt looks like Gilmore Girls. It certainly sounds like Gilmore Girls. And it's just as funny, fast-paced, and quirky as Gilmore Girls. This is a good start.

Every fan on the planet was worried about their favorite mother-daughter team when show creator Amy-Sheman Palladino and her husband Daniel Palladino left the show last spring in a contract dispute with Warner Brothers. Even though the new show-runner, David Rosenthal, had experience on the show, fans were worried he wouldn't be able to capture the classic Gilmore Girls "voice." Most of all, fans were also worried that season seven wouldn't strike the show's signature lightness, which even the Palladinos had trouble capturing last year.

Well, I saw the Season Seven premiere over the weekend, and I've got to tell you, GG fans, you don't have anything to worry about... at least not yet.

I'm not going to say much about the particulars of the episode; I'll review it in full after it airs on September 26. But let's get issue 1A out of the way first before I address issue 1: We open where we left off last year, where Lorelai wakes up in bed next to perpetual sexual security blanket Christopher after giving Luke an April-related ultimatum he couldn't meet (actually, the episode opens up with Rory alone in Logan's apartment after he left for England, but that's not important right now).

I think longtime viewers are going to be satisfied with Lorelai's reaction to what happened the previous night, at least I think most fans will be satisfied. Depends on how you feel about the Lor-Chris pairing. Anyway, during the rest of the episode, Lorelai is basically depressed over the state of her engagement, only lighting up around Rory. Now, Lauren Graham looks radiant in this episode -- she seems to be one of those genetic freaks that gets sexier as she gets older -- and she plays a lot of emotions well, but depressed isn't one of them. She just looks mopey when she's not around Rory, and especially when she's around Luke. But this episode sets up quite an interesting storyline which takes off with the last scene, which the CW's PR people begged us not to reveal.

The Rory-Logan storyline has some nice twists, but overall, it just kind of stays in a holding pattern for now. Which makes sense, since Lorelai's story is more important right now.

OK, now for issue number 1: Even though AS-P isn't writing the show anymore, is it the Gilmore Girls we've come to love over the last six years? Most definitely. The fast talking is established early on, with Sookie taking the lead. And the scenes with Lor and Rory have their old crackling chemistry, even though both characters are heartbroken. The episode isn't jam-packed with pop-culture references, but a big one plays a significant part in the plot. There's a Star's Hollow story involving Taylor, Kirk, and some major changes to Luke's diner. And even Paris gets siginificant dialogue here, and she's at her callous best. My favorite scene invovles a racquetball court and a totally seventies-tastic striped headband, and there's a line in the episode that is a direct callback to an episode from last season. So, take my word for it; nothing has been lost in the transition from AS-P to Rosenthal.

Hopefully, I managed to get through this preview without revealing anything to spoilery (I leave that job to Keith). If there's any more information you want to know, let me know in the comments. But I'd just sit tight and wait for next Tuesday. Your patience will be rewarded.

DC

Well, it does seem a bit strange that there are so many people who know so much about the show, who watch it every week and yet hate it so much. That being said, I'm hoping that someone out there can tell me what happened in the last 13 minutes of the show as my DVR took a crap. I got to the part where Lorelei & Chris were at dinner with Emily & Richard and Rory had just had a disturbing dinner with Logan n co. Anyone able to fill me in?

October 26 2006 at 10:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Holly

I disagree with almost everyone on here. Lor and Luke didn't work. Lor could never be herself...she couldn't speak up, and thats not Lor. Luke needed to be taken care of in a motherly way, where instead of showing him pictures of luggage and telling him he should really get something new...you just pick it for him, buy it, and he takes it. Lor was looking for a two way street, but what Luke needs is a given path. Lor needs a strong independent type, who will listen to her, and take what she says into consideration.

Chris gets Lor, and her family life. He fits into her whole existance seamlessly. I have wanted them together from the moment he entered the show, it just took him this long to really grow up and be on Lor's level.

As for Logan and Rory. LOVE Logan. He is like Chris, he gets Rory and her humor, and her life. He connects with her and has the Rory lingo down. He knows what she likes to eat, and gets it for her without asking. He knows where her jokes are going and meets her there. She only seems weaker in some of the viewer's eyes because she is not longer just Rory...she is a "we" now. People DO change in relationships, they DO make sacrifices. I think she is being super fantastic. The ONLY thing I would change is for her to be a little more upfront. Which I think she is starting to do, by expressing her jealousy and her missing him. Logan is a typical guy who says it all in just 5 words. Have you ever met a guy who poored everything out the way you wanted him to say it? I havn't. But thats guys, they dont get all amped up and spill it all the way girls tend to.

I think Logan is a good match for Rory, he isnt possesive like Dean, he isnt bad boy self-absorbed like Jess...he is on her level and tries his absolute guy best to be everything Rory needs and wants...even when he is a 10 hour flight and a 5-6 hour time change away.

Think I am wrong all you want, but I think this has been the best season yet...it is the first season to make me tear up with sadness and with joy...or make me laugh so hard and squeal with delight. I think this is the start of a beautiful season.

October 26 2006 at 4:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kellie Lewis

yeah...i love the show its my favorite! everyday at 7:00p.m. i stop everything im doing to watch the show on fox family, and on tuesdays on the WB, and im 19 years old. If i miss the show in the evening i have to watch it in the morning a 11:00A.M. My best friend, her boyfriend, my boyfriend and I all watch it. i think it is a wonderful show and I love the relationship that Lorelei and Rory have they alwyas make me laugh! I love how its such a small town and eveyone knows each other, I wish my town was more like that! I do think that ever since Rory went to college her and lorelei arent as close and Rory doesnt pay much attention to her every since Rory started dating Logan. I liked it better when she dated Dean, but i still like Logan. I also think that Lorelei should definately marry Luke, they are made for ech other! I most definately, along with so many others think there should be more seasons. I would love to see whats happens next! Please make more episodes. I only have season 1, but i watch it all the time when its not on tv. I really want the rest of the seasons though. I hope that u can keep me updated on the rest! Thanks and good luck! P.S. dont let the people that dont like the show put u down cause your doing great!

October 26 2006 at 2:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lindsay

Hi! I'm a huge fan of Gilmore Girls but I missed the first 3 episodes of season 7 because my university does not get the channel anymore! I'm so bummed! And I tried to record the episodes on dvr at home but it didn't work! I feel so lost, does anyone know where I can get access to watch them?! Please help! Thanks!

October 13 2006 at 4:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Loraine

I do not want Lane to be pregnant so early in their careers. I think it is a wonderful relationship but she is too young, please do not make this a suffering thing. Her mother could get involved and care for grandchild if that helps, but please she should be able to work at realizing her dream as a rock musician.
Lorelei and her two men Luke and Christopher, have me divided. They both need to grow up and become responsible if not they do not deserve her. She should make them wake-up. Moreover, I do not mean by finding someone else to sleep with!

October 10 2006 at 8:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Julie

Just FYI to the writer of one of the above reviews. You might want to watch the sixth season again. Logan is not leaving for the summer , he's leaving for a year. Yes, he's rich and could send for Rory, but Rory is making up for lost time in an ivy league school while editing the Yale Daily News. How much free time do you think our golden girl has? This is London, England we're talking about not Hartford, Connecticut.

October 04 2006 at 12:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
D

I'm very upset with those of you who call yourselves fans of the show. There's a plot twist you don't enjoy so you say "I'm NEVER watching again". Wow...way to stick by your "team". Don't watch again. No one is going to miss you. You think the CW is going to sit at their desks and say, "OMG!!! That one person is not watching!!! That's it change the plot, get Luke and Loreali back together immediately!!" No, I'm afraid not. Think about it. If L and L were all happy and married, would the show really be that exciting? Now don't get me wrong. I want them back together as much as the next guy....but when they were all lovey dovey...it was kind of annoying and boring. It's about time something exciting happened that doesn't involve Rory.

October 03 2006 at 8:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Julie

Okay, so Luke's standing there, staring at the woman he has pined for for 8 years, the woman whose proposal he accepted without blinking, the woman who forgave him for keeping the existance of his daughter a secret for 2 months, the woman who patiently waited to become a part of his daughters life and quietly cancelled wedding plans for June 3rd even as Luke continued to exclude her from that end, as she tearfully pleads with him to marry her, and he says " I don't like ultimatums."? Lor should have smacked him. Of course I hate the fact that she ran to Chris immediately afterwards and slept with him, but then, I hate the fact that premarital sex is continually glorified throughout this series. Bottom line, I don't beleive this is a calamity from which the Luke/Lorelai relationship cannot recover, but it will probably take the entire seventh season to fix things, unless in an effort to draw support for an 8th season the producers leave the mess for the fans to clean up through fan fic. Taking into account the thumbs down reviews I've been reading for the sixth season I don't advise they try it. What are my views on the sixth season? I'm still loving Lauren Graham and Alexis Bledel. I agree that as Rory gets older it is appropriate for her character to change. That's life folks. I feel that the inegrity of Rory's character has been preserved. She's bounced back to being the smart, knowledge hungry Rory we all know and love, though regretfully without the innocence that was the essence of her charm. Lauren Graham continues to rock as Lorelai. I personally appreciate her style of expressing grief. She doesn't overdo the tears, yet still makes it plain that she's hurting. A good " She's strong, but still a woman" combo. I think the storline for the sixth season was one of the best. It's fresh, with new faces ( thumbs up to the lovely young actess who portrays Luke's daughter), new challanges for the girls, and new hopes for the future. In other words, take out the profanity and immorality and its a hands down, thumbs up winner!

October 03 2006 at 3:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kim

And I live in The Netherlands and can't watch the show (we are far behind, so bought the box of season 6 on ebay)! Could anyone tell me where I can download the 1st episode of season 7? I hope you can tell me this! Thank you! And I also hope that Lorelai gets back to Luke and Rory to Jess... but I also loved Dean, is he really out of the picture? And what else did I read... is season 7 the last season of the gilmore girls? An European Gilmore Girls fan, Kim

September 28 2006 at 6:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alex

I personally think that last season was one of the best. The addition of Logan, the due fight between Lorelai and Rory, which was long but not over extended and which gave the show a new interesting pace and added emotion, the focus on Luke and Lorelai (finally) instead of losing so much time with uninteresting characters added on here and there, I think were all valuable additions to the show. The pace of the show did seem faster and more enjoyable overall, better acted and more polished in general.

Some things I might have been hesitant about are the very different relationship between Rory and her grandparents, and the more adult relationship between Lorelai and Rory. However, these are things that are supposed to happen if you want to take the story seriously. Things change in real. Although this is a show, not reality, and they could have kept some things the same, the change is always interesting and I think it was well made in here.

My main objection, like everyone's, is overextending a conflict that NO ONE cared about or wanted. Sure, problems are expected, but the way they were managed was not only unpopular, but generally tedious. You don't want to watch the show to see the tedious parts of life. You can see them there as an expectator, but you dont want the show to have them as such a big issue in it. Still, I think that is the only real fault of last season, the show in general still remains great, and to my opinion better than the repetitive older ones. I like the actual focus on the main characters, I think the secondary ones have improved greatly (the Koreans, the band, Logan, and the now enjoyably annoying instead of annoyingly annoying Paris), and while I still miss some of the old things, I am enjoying many of the changes on their own right.

I think the main problem here is that people were less critical about them when they started, but now they expect the very best and idealize the more overlooked, but highly enjoyed, old ones..

September 27 2006 at 8:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply