September 23, 2014

HBO cancels Lucky Louie

by Joel Keller, posted Sep 18th 2006 6:17PM
Lucky LouieIt looks like HBO's traditional sitcom experiment was short-lived. Lucky Louie, a multi-camera sitcom created and starring comedian Louis C.K., has been cancelled after its first 13-episode season. This TV Week article ("cleverly" titled "'Louie's' Luck Runs Out") mentions that the show was seen by about 1.3 million viewers on average; the season finale was seen by about that many people, which was 1.2 million less than the network's other summer Sunday offering, Entourage.

It was an interesting try; imagine a sitcom with a live audience, living room and kitchen sets, etc., but with the freedom of language and subject matter that HBO provides. Guess not enough people bought into the experiment for HBO's liking. The president of HBO Entertainment claims she wants to work with Louis C.K. again, but there are no current plans for a new series. At least this might give Louis more material for his stand-up act.

stolaroff1977

its bull **** that they cancelled that sitcom Lucky Louie.. I felt like it was raw and funny as hell. It was in my opinion one of the BEST shows on tv

June 23 2011 at 2:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MARY HAWKES

Here I am on the site today, looking forward to when the new season of Lucky Louie begins. While it was a little difficult to figure out at first if it was a show I wasa going to like or not, I ended up enjoying the honesty of the program and did end up liking the main characters. I'm disappointed it is not returning. While it was most times shocking, I found myself saying "I can't believe they're saying this or doing this" and found myself laughing anyway. If there was a problem, it may have been with the young actress who played their daughter. She became very annoying...but I believe could have been a likeable little girl if written better.

November 10 2006 at 8:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric

I'm usually a man of tact.... but WTF. If you didn't find humor in this show then you were born too wealthy or have no sense of real life (with justifiable stress) for the majority of the population. The show was truthful (our kid is an asshole .... lmao) to the point it almost made me uncomfortable.

I'm disappointed that a show like Entourage continues and Louie ends. Enough "I'm in the bling bling and everything works out perfect."

Apparently HBO is geared for the 17 year old. How silly of me to think they would cater to the "Paying" audience just for once.

Nothing was wrong with the choice of camera. It made it feel real.

You're turning the mindless goats into monsters. Good luck figuring that out you fools.

*Disgusted*

November 01 2006 at 9:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amy Jean

Lucky Louie is one of THE BEST AND FUNNIEST SHOWS on TV. How is it possible that HBO cancelled it. There hasn't been a show with such original humor and clever writing as Lucky Louie in ages. It is a shame that there won't be a second season. And to think they would rather show Entourage?? Now there is a show that should be cancelled.

October 29 2006 at 10:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan Parker

You have got to be kidding me! no second season? This show is one of the best things to come since married with children! give your head a shake, this show is hilarious. especially the character Rich... that guy is great. it would be a sin not to keep this show goin.

October 27 2006 at 3:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lois

I'm sad to see it go, and so are all the girls at the diner. We laughed so hard at some of the situations and could not believe this was on tv. It was about time we adults had a show to watch. I do think that more girlfriends of mine liked it than menfriends. As the weeks went by it got funnier, maybe because we got used to the characters. I would have liked to tape the episode where the brother in law's penis is hanging out of his towel. I thought my daughter and I were going to pee in our pants. It's true that the show had a grundge feel to it, but so did Rosanne's show. I know a lot of people who's lives are not much better.

October 26 2006 at 12:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Heleniak

How can I buy the DVD Searies of Lucky Louie???Please let me know where I can purchse them Thank You
Thought it was Great and want to see more.

October 22 2006 at 7:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tina

I am very upset to see Louie gone. The show was edgy and honest. It was funny and raw. It was different from all other HBO shows. I always called it "The Honeymooners" meet "Married with Children" rated R. I liked the setting and the reality. Yes, reality.

October 17 2006 at 1:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carol S.

I really liked Lucky Louie. I agree with Scott, it was not the best show ever but it deserved at least one more season to build a strong following. I never saw any advertisement for this sit com. My sister happened to see Louis C.K. on a latenight show and was very impressed with his humor and his perspective. I will miss seeing Louie, his friends & family.

September 25 2006 at 10:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

This show was raw. I was an unpredictably funny. Not all the shows were GREAT but what the heck, it was good entertainment. Give it a chance. They dumped "mind of a married man" which was so damn funny now this. If you dont advertise a show, word of mouth takes time to get around.

Goodbye HBO - at least until the final few Soprano shows I cancelled my HBO/Cinemax package today!

September 24 2006 at 11:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply