August 21, 2014

LL Cool J coming back to TV

by Brett Love, posted Sep 18th 2006 5:41PM
LL Cool JLL Cool J is set to star in a new show by CSI creator Anthony Zuiker. It seems that Zuiker is something of an LL fan, so when offered the chance to work with the rapper/actor, he jumped at it. The result is The Man. LL will play an undercover cop who deals with busting perps and running stings at night, and then works to raise his three adopted children by day. The formula is to have the crime stories as the weekly feature while the home life is serialized and takes place in longer arcs throughout the season.

I like to think of it as CSI: In the House, as this does vaguely resemble the plot for LL's previous TV role on that fairly successful sitcom. LL appeared in an episode of House last season, as well as the movies Last Holiday and SWAT. There is nothing official on when this all might come to fruition, but given that it is CBS golden boy Zuiker, things should move quickly.

Pamela

So glad to hear that LL is coming back to the small screen. Not just because he is easy on the eyes but because he is not the steryotypical bad ass, street-trash-talking black man you see all the time. He is an intelligent, compasionate and respectful human being and it shows through his music and acting. Good for you LL.....I don't care what you call yourself, I will watch and enjoy your talent once again on the small screen. Best of luck!! Hopefully you can educate, once again, men on how to be a GOOD MAN and parent and still be sexy and strong!!!!!!!!

September 25 2006 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J. P.

What's in a name? Does it really matter what he wants to call himself. The dude is talented. LL is a living legend in the hip hop community - a true pioneer who paved the way for everyone from Ice T to Ludricus. He is an up-and-coming actor who can hold his own on the silver screen. He is a 20-year-veteran in the entertainment biz who doesn't seem to be slowing down any time soon.

September 25 2006 at 1:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Terri Wood

LL it's time to drop the LL for the small screen. If he wants to be taken seriously as an actor, he needs to use his given name. Save the LL Cool J for the radio. As for his other bodies of work, not even Meryl Streep could have saved SWAT or Deep Blue Sea. If Will Smith can go from rapper to respected actor without any training, so can James Smith. Any mainstream rapper who can flow without disrespecting women already has me as a fan.

September 25 2006 at 1:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CriticSceptical

Interesting ... thought the response thus far has been minimal, I see a trend. A few weeks a go, Mariah Carey was the topic of the blog, and by overwhelming numbers she was literally loathed by almost every single female contributor, while being showered with praise and compliments by the men contributors. Well, strut out some 'supposed eye candy' for the ladies and their tone changes. (Not to mention, so far, no one has really talked about his body of work, or actual acting 'chops', it's all about his looks.) No, I'm not hatin' on LL, I was one of his biggest fans in the mid 80's -- 20 years ago -- when he was rockin the charts with hits, but truthfully, there is a ton of difference between being an entertainer (rappers, singers, talk show hosts, celebrity personalities, etc ...) and a true thespian. I guess after failing to carry his weight in any of his 'big blockbusters', (such notables as S.W.A.T or another about 'genetically engineered killer sharks) he figured his career could be revived by the 'small screen'. Yeah, nothing like a step down to boost your career. Good writing (which there is very little of on TV) can't rescue horrible acting. LL, I will always rock your joint 'Radio' ... that was a mad track with tight home grown lyrics ... but, I'm sure your show won't make it through the first season ... CriticSceptical

September 25 2006 at 12:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patricia Cherubini

Love LL sexy as h--l. Go Baby. You'll make alot of people happy. I'm sure not only women. Bless you LL

September 25 2006 at 12:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jenromo

Yeah baby!! That has to be the perfect combo...LL showing his softer side by day w/ the kiddies (shirtless I hope)then catching the bad guys by night! Yum...count me in!!

September 25 2006 at 12:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Roger

This is also the time for the biggest turn around for hip hop and to show others of new changes and to show others that honest stars are thee best!

September 25 2006 at 12:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Roger

Wow I heard he dump his old girlfriend and is now ready to show his fans new music without the help of Amos Monte and also let everyone know that Scott Storch is a lieing loser just like the old ho.

September 25 2006 at 12:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katy

WOW! i can't wait, what a site to see! i love me some LL. Great choice of an actor. Many wishes for success of the show. I will be watching. Hope the show has good story line, LL is more than enough for me though.

September 25 2006 at 11:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ron detroit

More props to the man of hip-hop. This is something that is necessary for even other artist to have starring roles on television. LL is a icon and best of luck on the new show.

September 25 2006 at 10:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply