November 1, 2014

Extra Hollywood Access: No more, no more

by Bob Sassone, posted Sep 20th 2006 8:11PM

Mary HartThis is going to be the last post I make about the gossip shows.

I can't take it anymore. I've said before that these shows (The Insider, Entertainment Tonight, Access Hollywood, etc) are awful. But now I think they've crossed the line into despicable, hurtful, and disgusting. I truly can't watch them any longer.

The obsession the past week has been the Anna Nicole Smith story. The death of her son Daniel and the birth of her new daughter. The last couple of nights, The Insider and ET have been talking about how they have the EXCLUSIVE last pics of Daniel holding his new sister. First of all, how can they be "exclusive" when In Touch magazine and a dozen web sites have run them too? Second, I notice The Insider and ET aren't telling us how much they paid for the photos...or where they came from.

And they have this guy who says he's the father of Anna Nicole's baby. Maybe he is, but what is the point of coming on television and giving these interviews to ET and The Insider? They keep pushing these stories, teasing "Do the photos hold a secret clue to what happened?" Um, NO, THEY DON'T.

And what is it with The Insider and ET anyway? Why bother watching both shows when they cover the same exact stories day after day, with only different announcers narrating the stories? And I like how every single show has "breaking" or "last minute" celeb news. Yeah, it's breaking or last minute if you don't have the internet or get cable television.

These shows, they aren't just stupid and vile, I think that they actually destroy your brain cells as you watch them.

These shows, that constantly have stories about the dangers of plastic surgery, the dangers of anorexia in Hollywood, and then the next episode will be a feature about the joy a Hollywood star found via plastic surgery (and how you can do it too!) and a story about how the stars diet and get thin and beautiful (and how you can too!)

These shows, that constantly drill the most inane stories at you over and over and over again. Sure, we cover stupid stuff here at TV Squad too, but we don't pretend that the latest Dancing With The Stars results are going to change anyone's life.

"In today's celebrity birthday, which screen siren is it behind these changing styles?!" Who gives a fuck?

Just now on ET, "special correspondent" Lisa Rinna is talking about The Dancing With The Stars diet! Then immediately after that was a preview of tomorrow's show...where they'll talk about diet dangers and plastic surgery nightmare stories. Oh, and a secret insider "breaks his silence" about the mysterious death of Daniel Smith.

Ugh.

EVE

I USED TO LIKE MARY HART..BUT SHE HAS GOTTEN SO SICKENING I CAN'T STAND TO WATCH ANYMORE. AND THEY SHOW CELEBRITIES AT SUCH A FAST PACE WHO CAN SEE THEM.
GOODBYE ALL SHOWS OF HER TYPE.

November 28 2006 at 7:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Virginia

Boy , do I agree with this one. i have never been so sick of these stupid, intrusivetabloid TV shows. Who gives a rats behind who paris Hilton is dating, whether Brad and Jennifer are ready to kill one another over adultery involving Jolie, or what jackass antic someone like Jack Nicholson has pulled. No wonder some of these celebrities get so hacked at this stuff. I am sick of hearing about who is dating whom, whom is divorcing whom, whatever. i dont give a damn, and that is those peoples private business. no celebrity is better than any person who isnt a celebrity. , Anniston, Jolie, and the rest of the over exposed celebs can take a spaceship somewhere as far as Im concerned. And most of these spoiled, idiotic people would have no problem doing so. the hosts and personell of these stupid TV shows are so impressed with all of them. I got so tired of not being able to turn on any channel without Anna Nicole Smiths poor sons death being exploited all over the TV. i never cared for Anna Nicole Smith. However, I found it revolting when tabloid magazine and TV reporter Jill Dobson said it was really suspicious that Smith was having memory problems over her sons death. For the shallow Dobsons information, people do this sometimes when someone close to them dies. They disassociate themselves from death, cant remember. they cant deal with it. Though I think Anna Nicole is a spoiled, drug induced person who has been undeserving of a lot of her success, i feel sorry for her when it comes to the death of her son. Cold hearted taloid people should leave this and other sensitive subjets like this alone. along with everything else.

October 18 2006 at 2:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
plastic surgeon

I stopped watching ET as soon as it became apparent that they'd rather cover themselves than anything else. I've never bothered with the rest.

September 28 2006 at 7:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rain24

I'm glad that I am not the only one feeeling this way. These shows get more and more ridicuolous. And I agree the hosts are soo full of themselves. I can't stand Bill Bush!!! He is soo full of himself.. and Mary Hart.. shouldn't she have retired like yesterday???? These people could never do anything other than what they are doing right now. Insider and ET are the saaaaame thing with different show titles and different people hosting, i agree

September 21 2006 at 2:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
paul

My wife loves to watch these shows. Last night one of them talked about the "war" between Justin Timberlake and the paparazzi. Isn't that a little demeaning to the men and women who are actually at war and risking their lives - not running away from having their picture taken?

September 21 2006 at 11:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dominic a

Thank Your Lord. I hate all these shows and way would anybody on this site need to cover gossip. Those shows are television they are garbage!!

September 21 2006 at 9:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hunter Rose

September 21 2006 at 1:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jake

The insider and ET are the worst at teasing us -- they let us know that something is coming and make it seem like it's something else when really it's nothing -- like
"jennifer aniston is pregnant" -- only to find out that she is playing a character who's pregnant. I don't think it's fair to group Access Hollywood with this -- AH is a much better produced show.

September 20 2006 at 11:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
G-Man

Well said-these shows are complete vaporware. You forgot to rag on the hosts. They all look alike and they're all obviously very much in love with themselves. The guys (except for Pat O'Brien) look like soap opera actor wannabes desperately trying to cling on to their fraternity days. The women are all blonde airheads who are so botoxed up (actually, the guys are guilty of this too), it's pathetic. And would it kill these people to do some ORIGINAL reporting once in a while instead of regurgitating everyone else's (e.g. US Weekly, In Style, People) work?

September 20 2006 at 10:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joseph Bua

I read they paid $650,000 for the pics.

September 20 2006 at 9:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply