April 24, 2014

Rachael Ray is exhausting

by Bob Sassone, posted Sep 20th 2006 2:34PM

Rachael RayI've watched a couple episodes of Rachael Ray's new show this week. And I'm surprised I have the energy to type these words.

The woman is exhausting. She's running around the stage like a nut showing a cool feature that the stage has, high fiving people in the audience, opening doors to grab more spices, etc, etc. You get exhaused and just a bit nervous watching her, even from the comfort of your living room. I have this overwhelming feeling that sometime next week, men in white coats are going to burst into the studio and grab her and take her away after injecting her with a sedative. They'll be dragging her out the door and she'll be screaming, "No, no!!! I've got to put more parmesan on my sandwiches!!! I've got to put my parmesan on my sandwiches!!"

Is she annoying? God, I can imagine her being annoying to many people, even her target audience. I mean, I've never had a problem with her, though maybe that was because I always saw her in small doses. But now she has several shows on Food Network, her own daily syndicated show, and her own magazine, and I think any energetic personality can get to you when you're exposed to so much of it. She's everywhere. She's actually on top of my monitor right now, waving to me, asking me what I'm having for dinner tonight.

I'm also not sure if I like her little closing line, where she says "everybody needs a little R and R." Doesn't R and R stand for Rest and Relaxation? What the hell does that have to do with Rachael Ray or her show? And I always get a little annoyed when someone refers to themselves in this way, sort of in the third person. If someone else said it about her, that would be one thing, but saying it about herself?

Of course, that's not going to stop me from doing the same thing. I'd like to announce that from now on, everyone one of my posts is going to be "Total B.S.!"

Moose

Just exactly who or what is a Rachel Ray?? I mean where did she even come from??? I think she is just a made-up person......sort of like a live version of the "Pet RocK"...if u can remember them.. Here today, gone tomorrow....and so will go rachel ray.

December 03 2006 at 5:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tre Gibbs

...and another thing. EVOO ? GB? "sammy"? "R and R" ??? Rachael AND Ray? Plus this isn't a contest about who loves there job the most. This is a crazy, hopped up woman who makes people nervous and anxious, Has the depth of a birdbath, is about as bright as a small aplliance bulb, uses hand gestures to the point where she looks like she's being attacked by a swarm of mosquitos, acting like a mental patient 30 seconds before her next sedative, insults a whole industry of food servers (w/ 5- 10% gratuities) and, the worst part, throws ground beef, macaroni and kale together in a pot for half an hour and has the NERVE to call
herself a cook...
Can you imagine what she's like.... IN BED ??????

November 18 2006 at 5:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tre Gibbs

I personally ALSO can't stand her "AA" Acronym Ass. As someone who worked 8 years as a bartender/waiter, I can safely say that I would not let her nto my restaurant for two reasons. 1) She's annoying as hell! Anyone who spends 15 minutes watching her should get a diabetes test. Her bubbly, sugary, syrupy sweet 'personality' could make Willy Wonka's skin crawl. 2) SHE DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO TIP !! "$40 bucks a day" should have a subtitle - "..and never being allowed back". I would take her ".40 cents for tax and tip" and throw it in her face or else flatten the tires on her pink Vespa...

November 18 2006 at 5:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Krystofer

She's got a TON of energy, thats for sure. And she doesn't seem afraid to eat. She's no supermodel, she full figured, and I really find that attractive. If her audience is late 20/early 30 males who like women who eat and aren't ashamed of it, she's doing just fine in my book. Too bad she got married, I was really hoping to talk my wife into moving to Utah...

November 16 2006 at 8:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

I hear a lot of people say that Rachel talks really loud and seems like she is yelling. I wonder if she has had her hearing checked lately or had hearing problems in the past? I always thought people from New York are louder but they even say she is loud. Why I say this is I have been accused of talking too loud also. It got to the point it really hurt my feelings because I did not think I sounded loud. I had an ear infection and had to go to a specialist and he happened to do a hearing test and found that I had a substantial loss of hearing and I needed hearing aids. He also said that is why I seem to talk louder is because I cannot hear myself and it makes it harder to control my tone of voice. Maybe not but its a thought.

October 26 2006 at 9:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
colleen kruger

I have been watching Rachel Ray for a few years now. I have a cople of her books. I think her concept of 30 Minute Meals is awsome. So, why the dilemma? Well, after her first show I was exhausted! I want to know why she is so loud? Please Rachel, tone it down a bit! I know you are over exuberant, but jeeze...why all the yelling?
She is a big mouth and has turned me off! I'm so disappointed because I loved her but I have had my fill as I have had with that conceited woman Martha S. I just can't watch her anymore. I need all my energy to take care of my home. And the shoe thing? Stop Rachel before it's too late! Just do what you do..cook. I think Oprah made a boo..boo. Time will tell.

October 26 2006 at 3:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Judles

I think she's wonderful. She's a teacher at heart. And a good one at that! She's taught me how to cook, clean up, and enjoy something I've never been able to do. Before RR, my daughter would tell you the best thing I ever made was reservations.

As for how she talks to kids...she talks like a cousin/aunt/neighbor..not like the condescending way most people talk to kids.

I think she's a pro at what she does. Yes, she has a voice problem, but I"ll send her a good suggestion for that....other than that RR...you keep telling me about the EVOO, slicing so I'll learn and keeping a cheery look in this predictable land of tv.

I like the way she dresses, I like that she has a personality ( a rare condiment:)and enjoys her life. I can't wait to try one of her burgers. In fact her recipe for turkey burgers is one of my favs.

If you want tried and true you can tape or watch Letterman and/or Leno...yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn....

Rachael....you go girl!!!!

October 26 2006 at 1:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
evelyn goodreau

I watched her cooking program all the time and have made many of the recipes she prepared. All came out just like hers. I watched her new program but soomehow lost interest in her so therefore can't watch her cooking shows anymore on the Food Network. Too bad .

October 26 2006 at 1:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kay Chinkan

I used to watch her every day on the 30 minute meal show - and then I watched her for a few minutes on ABC - OH MY GOSH!!!! I hope she watches herself on tape. She is the most annoying host I have ever seen - and I have seen alot. I stopped watching her food network show. She is indeed a loud, non-stop talker & flares her hand gestures crazily around.

October 26 2006 at 12:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barb

All these people that or criticizing Rachel Ray must be watching. I watch her because I enjoy her. I am a good cook and I still watch. If I did not like her I would not watch. You surly lazy critics should think about that.

October 26 2006 at 12:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply