October 31, 2014

CSI: NY - People with Money (season premiere)

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Sep 21st 2006 11:38AM
CSI: NY(S03E01) I'm not planning on covering CSI: NY all season (once it starts up, I'll be writing reviews for 30 Rock on Wednesday nights), but I figured I should at least put something up on the season premiere. It was actually pretty decent, especially since I think this is the weakest show in the CSI franchise. Describing any of the intricacies of the cases seems pointless at this point though. In the off season, this show has gone through a lot of changes and that's what I'd like to discuss.

First off, there's been a major cast addition. Claire Forlani has joined the show as the new medical examiner Dr. Peyton Driscoll. To give her character a reason to be there period, the writer's decided to make her Gary Sinise's first love interest on the show. For the character of Mac Taylor, that's a pretty big deal if you recall that in the first season of CSI: NY we found out that he lost his wife on 9/11. Anyway, a few notes on Peyton. I was surprised that they let Forlani keep her British accent, especially since Sonya Walger recurs as Jane Parsons and she has a British accent too. Two Brits working for the same CSI team... a stretch? A little bit I think.

Dr. Sid HammerbackInitially, I was 100% against Forlani's new M.E. because I thought she was replacing Dr. Sid Hammerback (Robert Joy). We went through almost half the episode before we saw Sid. I thought he was gone! Not the case. He's still around and it looks like he'll be splitting the morgue duties with Peyton. Good thing too because he was one of the bright points of last season. The man is hilarious and the show's producers would have been foolish to get rid of such a great character.

As I mentioned before though, the show seems like it's going through a lot of changes. Most are small, stylistic ones but I think they're important to note. First off was Mac Taylor. They seem to be loosening up his character a little. Beyond his romance with a co-worker, he's giving up on the shirt and tie. When have we ever seen him not wear a shirt and tie under his suitcoat? Instead, he responded to the first case with a dark purple, silk(?), v-neck shirt. It was trendy and Mac Taylor is not trendy. I get the feeling we'll be seeing a much lighter side of him this season.

Then there was Doc Hawkes. He got rid of the goatee! Visually, it makes him look very different but I think it signifies something more. Last year was a transitional season for him, moving from the Medical Examiner's office and becoming a CSI. Now he's made the switch completely and without saying it, the removal of the goatee shows it. It also looks like he might be getting a love interest too. A new detective will be working with Flack (who's fine after last year's explosion in that building). Her last name is Angel and Hawkes definitely has eyes for her.

The visual style of the show has changed too. The between scene bumps and music are faster paced and much peppier. The show has certainly come a long way from it's blue-tinted depressing first season.

So those were the major changes and how I interpreted them. Not to much happened with Lindsay and Danny but I'm sure they'll still pursue the flirtations that began last year. Same with with Stella, nothing new there either. But what do you folks think? Will this season of CSI: NY be the one where the show finally finds it's footing?

lisa

I think Danny needs a love interest other than Linsey.
I would like to see him in bed with someone!!!!.
Carmine is a babe!!!!!

November 18 2006 at 3:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
drew

wow.. i take back what i said,, last nights episode was awesome!

September 28 2006 at 5:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lynn

I don't usually watch all three CSIs, but I did this time and this premier far out did the others imo. This has always been my favorite, and continues to be. To answer your question, "Will this season of CSI: NY be the one where the show finally finds it's footing?" Yes, yes and yes.

September 28 2006 at 12:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
drew

i can easily say out of the 3 CSIs this is my least favorite, and i can see this being the first CSI to get cancelled. the finale was ok, but the premier, come on. i really think this show has great potential, but they have to kick it up a notch. i liked the serial rapist arc of episodes last season, leading to the death of a former character (whos name i cant remember)... its not that i dont like this show, but it has to get better, or it is not going to go far.

September 27 2006 at 5:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MacTaylorsGirl

http://members.aol.com/remiped/csi-music-newyork.htm you can find music from CSI:NY but i'm not sure they posted they music from Season 3....check it out...

September 24 2006 at 7:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MacTaylorsGirl

But still i'm confused.....how many episodes are going to be in Season3??? would love to see Mac more....haha

September 24 2006 at 7:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
melis

does anyone know the song they played when they went in that strip club...with the lollipops...???
i need to know its bugging me

September 23 2006 at 5:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MacTaylorsGirl

JUST EXCELLENT

September 23 2006 at 4:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MacTaylorsGirl

Very cool episode.It was not boring..at all....I enjoyed it very much.When i saw Mac with Peyton i fell down of my bed:))). Really.I mean...Mac with a woman....in bed...I expected with Stella in bed not Peyton :)))). Anyhow the episode was great.It loosened up a bit Gary's character.Awesome.I'm just crazy about Mac...too sexy 4 me...

September 23 2006 at 4:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

I was never a fan of this show, but others in the house are CSI freaks. I'm much more interested in seeing The Nine, which wil air opposite CSI: NY. I'll probably get stuck letting my TIVO watch it. This show has always pales in comparison to CSI: Vegas, hell even CSI: Miami is better. But I think what annoys me most is constantly having to see Ronald Reagan's picture when we're in Mac's office.

September 21 2006 at 12:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply