July 23, 2014

Celebrity Duets: 5 Cut to 3

by Richard Keller, posted Sep 22nd 2006 10:30PM

Final three contestants of Celebrity DuetsI haven't reviewed the Celebrity Duets live results show, but I decided that I should this week because the three finalists would be picked. Well, it's good that I did because I got to see the elimination of Cheech Marin (big surprise) and . . . Jai Rodriguez?

What? The? Hell?

Yes, you are reading this right. Jai Rodriguez, who was a front runner since the beginning of the competition a few weeks ago, was eliminated this week over, ready, Lucy Lawless! Okay, Lucy is a decent singer, but Jai was head-and-shoulders above her and I thought he would be in the finals along with Alfonso Ribeiro, who you knew was going to make it after his very first duet. I guess, like in all other Simon Cowell produced shows, the fix was in. Although, in the show's defense, Lucy looked absolutely shocked that she was in the finals. I believe that she was mouthing something like 'Are you sure you didn't make a mistake?'.

So, it's Alfonso, Lucy, and Hal Sparks in the final three. If Hal expects to win he better stop screaming and actually start singing. The second duet that he performed with Dee Snider was plenty of shouting without hitting a note. The judges aren't going to look kindly to that. Time to team him up with someone who is totally his opposite, maybe Willie Nelson or Roy Clark.

Lucy has got to improve as well, but I'm not too sure where. I watched both duets she did with Richard Marx (who, in my opinion, is one of the most underrated singer/songwriters of the 1980's) and she just wasn't matching him. She either needs to be paired with another female, or someone who sings within her range. And, she should also cut off all of her hair, remove all of her makeup, wear a potato sack and slouch down a few inches, so all of the drooling men watching Celebrity Duets don't jam the phone lines to vote for her.

As for Alfonso, well, he damn well better win. I want to see the 'Carlton Dance'! You know, come to think of it, I wouldn't be shocked at all if Alfonso was paired with Tom Jones next week for a rendition of It's Not Unusual. If they sang that I'd vote for him in one second.

Place your bets and see you next week.

Renee

umm...are you alright there buddy? it's just a tv show and actors are not terrorists. go have a nap.

September 30 2006 at 9:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Roger

Lucy lawless will never make it she will be in jail and also alot of others the stealing and lieing has travel to far including trips to Canada its about time the truth is told and just wait its coming and it will also show how terrorist are involved in show business so past actors do not give up yet point to be proved!

September 25 2006 at 4:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Preston

I thought that it would be Jai Rodriguez, Alfonso Ribeiro and Lucy Lawless not the other way around. Now Hal Sparks is in it with Alfonso and Lucy and Jai is out. But Jai wasn't his best on Thursday. I think he fell short in his duet with Patti LaBelle. Didn't take it far enough to the top, even though he was good. And when you're singing with my girl Patti, you've got to nail it! Patti still sounds great! I thought that Alfonso was wonderful in his duet with Chaka Khan, who also sounds superb! Cheech Marin sounded bland. Lucy has gotten better--has a sexiness to her singing now. And I don't know how Hal Sparks made the final--he screams far more than he sings and that won't cut it in music. I wanted that show to avoid an embarrassment, and they already have by including Hal. What if they pair him with someone of another genre other than rock? Then what? He's going to have to prove he's better than Alfonso and Lucy next week by singing far more and leaving the bombast on his own band's live set. Hal reminds me so much of Nikki McKibbin, who made it to the top 3 on American Idol in 2002 and still sounded bad. It's so parallel to that, voters keeping a mediocre singer in the top ranks. But as for Alfonso, Jai and Lucy, I wouldn't be surprised if some record companies are calling them at this moment. They are that good! Alfonso would give Usher some stiff competition--he's still got those sharp dance moves and strong vocals. I just imagine hearing an entire contemporary album by him as well as Jai. The others--don't quit your day jobs--you just didn't grab me!

September 23 2006 at 4:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Renee

First of all...I do agree that Jai shouldn't have gotten voted off...BUT you have to remember that this is a show where the results get voted on by the audience NOT industry judges.

The reality is that Alfonso (Fresh Prince), Hal (Queer as Folk) and Lucy (Xena) all have HUGE fan bases and that is a strong reason why they're in the top three.

I also have to disagree with you about Lucy. I think she deserves to stay in, and I think Hal should have gone. He's a great guy but he screams and should not have made it this far. And your comment about Lucy's clothing? She's a beautiful women and would STILL make people drool wearing a potatoe sack...that is not what this show is about.

My prediction for a winner? It'll be Lucy! And why? NOT because of the men voting (I find it odd that people never do their research when talking about Lucy Lawless)...but because of her huge FEMALE following. She's not only a lesbian icon, but an icon of strength and power for many women. Don't underestimate their resolve.

Lucy is also very passionate about her charities, and while we all may roll our eyes at the thought of another 'caring celebrity'...would it really be so bad to see someone win who really cares about giving that money away?

Face it: Lucy rocks! So do Alfonso and Jai. But Jai already has a great singing career, and Alfonso is competing to get a recording contract.

Lucy deserves to win.

September 23 2006 at 4:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dee

I heard Hal had a big campaign behind him. At any rate, Jai should have continued on. Damn.

September 23 2006 at 11:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jessica

I agree that there is no way in hell Jai should not have made it to the finale. He was, in my opinion, the best singer on the show. I even thought he was better than Alfonso. I too will not be watching the final.

September 23 2006 at 9:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

I was shocked also and will not be watching the finals! One of the problems might have been that some who usually voted for Jai were either watching Grey's Anatomy or CSI this week and didn't vote. I like Alfonso but it's a shame that someone who can actually sing won't be in the finals. Maybe half of the votes should have come from the judges like they do on Dancing With The Stars. At any rate, I wish Jai the best in the future. Also, since the winner's money is suppose to go to charity, it would have been nice to have known which charity each of them was representing.

September 23 2006 at 8:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin Pratt

I prefer dancing with the stars to celebrity duets. I've only seen the early epsiodes. Have they been getting better?

The Episoder

September 23 2006 at 12:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cindy

I was shocked to hear Jai was gone. Although, I am a huge Hal Sparks fan, I thought Jai would at least make it to the Final 3...along with Alfonso(but only because I want to see the 'Carlton Dance')
Anyway, Go Hal!!!!!