November 26, 2014

Very weird Lost promo -- VIDEO

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Sep 22nd 2006 12:27PM

LostThis is really odd. It's a promo for Lost from Channel 4 in England. I'm not sure quite what to make of it other than it seems to me that it has to be a promo for season one. I say that because A) it prominently features Boone and B) bits and pieces of Flight 815 are still strewn all over the shore. I just don't get why they needed such a weird ad for the show? What's wrong with the ones that air here in the States?

It has it's moments though. I thought it was funny when Locke and Walt were "conducting" the dance and the crazy organ music (I think that's what it's supposed to be). Plus, it was very telling that Jack and Sawyer were fighting over Kate. If all this sounds confusing, you can watch the video after the jump. Any other interpretations? Am I right in thinking this is an old promo?

Tucker

Wow, I'm pretty sure I saw this a really long time ago.... here. Didn't you guys post this back in the day, or am I on crack again?

September 25 2006 at 10:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
g-c

Haha. This is really old :)

September 22 2006 at 10:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

This promo is one of two, the other one is online here:

They were directed by David LaChapelle and apparently cost over £1 million.

September 22 2006 at 8:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gene

Just another example of the fact that the people who run our networks are trying to market to us; and the people who run the networks in the UK are trying to entertain and enlighten us. I've seen so many brilliantly executed promos from the BBC especially; I mean, they even have gorgeous, entertaining network identity spots. Here, it's all in your face and loud and abrasive, like that is what they think will entice people to watch.
(Your mileage, of course, may vary.)

September 22 2006 at 8:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marty Fitzpatrick

Usually the promos for new shows over here in the UK turn out to be even better than the shows they are promoting although I have to say for all its faults LOST is still one of the best imports we have had in the last few years (Whoever sent us JOEY should never be allowed to work in TV again!) This promo really got people talking about the show and translated into major ratings success for Channel 4 at the start of its run of 6 million viewers which is a big deal for what is generally regarded as one of the minor TV channels here.....by the time the series ended its viewers had dropped by almost 3 million but even that is a good viewership here in these days of multi - channel viewing. All that aside the promo itself looks fab and suitably surreal and the choice of music complements it perfectly

September 22 2006 at 4:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

My impression? Drug use must be rampant in England. Seriously though, it was odd enough that it would've gotten me to watch had I never seen LOST.

September 22 2006 at 4:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim in Augusta

I meant to say this promo is "included" on the Season 2 DVD set - it seems to obviously be a promo for Season 1 back when it was coming to the UK.

September 22 2006 at 3:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim in Augusta

This promo is part of the Season 2 DVD extras on disc 7. It is so very strange and, after watching all of the "behind the scenes" stuff on that disc, I could think only of the cast members being just as weirded out by doing it as we are watching it.

September 22 2006 at 3:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
A

hey that dead guy and his sister are in the trailer.....

September 22 2006 at 3:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris Sansbury

The promo ads in the UK are always different. Actually very different. UK ausiences respond to different things from TV shows, so the promos reflect this.

A show like lost is weird, so the promo will be as weird as possible...that's kind of how it works.

September 22 2006 at 2:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply