April 18, 2014

Men in Trees: For What It's Worth...

by Anna Johns, posted Sep 23rd 2006 7:29AM
men in trees(S01E03) Whoops. I missed the second episode of Men in Trees. I was out of town last weekend and didn't realize the pilot wasn't also playing on Friday (there was an early premiere of it last Tuesday). Anyway, the recap surprised me so we'll see if I can play catch-up. Of course, this is the one show that is neither streaming on ABC.com nor is it available in iTunes. Grrrr.

My only question is... where did all the snow go?

This week, Marin gets her refund check for her half of the cost of the wedding. It's for $13,000 and it's burning a hole in her pocket. She tries to buy Sara a new roof and ends up offending her. Instead, she spends the money on Jack when the bidding gets real high at the man auction she's hosting. Instead of a date, she has him move furniture, build some shelves, and fix her truck. Of course, she ends the date by hitting him with her truck. She tries to make it up to Jack by shopping for him and cleaning out his refridgerator. He throws her out but, as she's leaving, she gets sprayed by the skunk he's been searching for throughout the episode. Marin ends up in a bathtub of tomato soup to wash away the stink, where she gets a pep talk from Jack about how she's a courageous woman for dropping everything and moving to Alaska.

Other couples make up the sub-plots. We learn that Buzz has a mail order bride and that Patrick's mom has a crush on him. Buzz lets her down easy at a nice dinner. It turns out that Patrick's mom is just lonely since her husband, also a bush pilot, died 25 years ago.

And that explains why his mom is so cold to Annie, Patrick's true love. Annie gets cold feet when bidding for Patrick goes above her allotted $200 but those two have a sweet reconciliation when Annie buys him back after the auction and tells him he's her "rainy day". These two are a great pair with some very sweet chemistry. I look forward to more interactions with Annie and the mom.

Sparks fly between Theresa and Ben, owners of the Chieftain, who are separated. The way Theresa treats him is heart breaking. Ben's obviously a wounded soul who is trying to support his wife's wishes that they separate. They sleep together but then Theresa tells Ben that it's a mistake. Ouch.

Overall, I enjoyed this episode. I didn't find the scene funny where Marin was trying to move furniture-- I think they're trying too hard with the physical comedy. The side relationships are very sweet and layered and I'm enjoying them more than anything else. This week, Marin decided that it was okay to be single and I like that. Now, let's see how long that lasts.

tom

We Pacific Northwesterners know where "Northern Exposure" was "filmed." Where is "Men in Trees" being filmed?

October 08 2006 at 3:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ginger hebert

On the third show at the town dance there was a song played as everyone danced. Can you tell me the name of the song??

September 26 2006 at 2:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Treva

LOL, the snow? I live in interior Alaska and break-up lasts about two weeks (give or take a few days) I imagine that it happens a lot faster in the southern parts of Alaska. The sunlight on the first two episodes looked like spring sunlight so they wouldn't have long with the snow. The only season that seems to last very long here is winter. Spring, Summer, and Fall come and go pretty fast so most people I know live furiously during those periods.

September 25 2006 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony C

It's not streaming on ABC.com or on iTunes because "Men in Trees" isn't their property -- it's a Warner Bros production.

Love this show and Anne Heche's "fish out of water" routine is fun to watch. Her naivete with the skunk was a laugh and a half... "Why's it raising its tail?"

September 24 2006 at 9:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
treegoat

I agree w/ Pamela - it's a nice alternative to all the legal shows I get sucked into. I thought this was great for really letting us know more about the characters. I felt bad for Ben - it was just heartbreaking to watch the scene where Theresa lets him down.

13K for Jack?? He's cute but not that cute.

September 23 2006 at 12:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pamela

I really enjoy this show, and so does my husband. There are enough forensic shows, lawyer shows, and supernatural shows, and this is a delightful alternative. Ann Heche is a terrific actress, and the characters are people we can care about. I really hope this show succeeds.

September 23 2006 at 11:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Georgia

I love this show. It's a fun show to watch. One of my favs of the new shows.

When you look on abc.com for the week's schedule, it shows Men in Trees to come on Mon at 9:00 (cst) and Wed at 9:00 and Fri at 8:00. Looking on tvguide.com/listings, it shows Monday will be a repeat of the 3rd episode seen last night, but Wed is show as a 20/20 special. Friday night is just the next episode.

September 23 2006 at 11:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim in Augusta

I happened upon this show's pilot and the second episode last week purely by chance, and I really enjoyed them. I know zero about Heche beyond all the tabloid stuff from years ago, but I was pleasantly surprised by her and everyone in the cast (I'm especially glad to see Ben escape ER for this - I've liked him ever since Parker Lewis Can't Lose).

This week's episode was quite good as we continue to learn bits and pieces about the various characters, which should provide at least one good season of good television. I fear this show, which I enjoy more than I did the debut of 6 Degrees, will suffer from ABC not promoting it; I've already seen it mentioned on "Soon to be cancelled" lists by TV critics.

September 23 2006 at 11:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jake

the second episode, the one you missed, was actually pretty amazing -- heartfelt, great, great writing. This episode was okay but was better than the pilot. It's a great show.

September 23 2006 at 9:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply