December 22, 2014

7th Heaven: Turn,Turn,Turn (season premiere)

by Richard Keller, posted Sep 25th 2006 10:40PM

The 7th Heaven cast(S11E01) I am about to incur a wrath. I have just watched the 11th season premiere of 7th Heaven. I have just one question: why was there an 11th season of 7th Heaven?

Before you start beating me up let me say that I have been a huge fan of the series since it premiered on the WB ten years ago. I loved the writing and the humor, and enjoyed watching the Camden kids grow up. I even liked the show during the seasons where they focused more on the secondary characters than the Camdens themselves (around the 7th or 8th season). With that said, the show I watched on Monday night was not the 7th Heaven I remember from even a season ago. In fact, you could actually call it an updated version of I Love Lucy, because it looks like the main focus of the show is going to be on Lucy Kinkirk (originally Camden) and husband Kevin. Well, there is another couple that will get some focus, but I'll talk about them later in this post.

So, if you dare, jump ahead to read on.

When the show was renewed for an abbreviated season (I believe only 13 episodes or so) it was done with drastic budget cuts. This is extremely noticeable when you watch the opening credits. Of the original Camdens only father Eric, mother Annie, and daughter Lucy remain. Oldest son Matt is gone, so is oldest daughter (and troublemaker) Mary; youngest daughter Ruthie is in Scotland, and second oldest son Simon is . . . well, I don't know where he is. Eric and Annie's twins, Sam and David, are still there, but they play a minimal role.

Annie and Eric play minimal roles as well. In this episode they may have been in four or five scenes, with one of the major one's being at the beginning where they update the viewing public on the whereabouts of their invisible children. This disappoints me because I always enjoyed the interaction between Stephen Collins and Catherine Hicks, together and with their children. Now, it seems, they may be only bookends to other ongoing stories.

So, as I say, it looks like the main focus will be on Lucy and Kevin (and, if that's the case, why didn't they spin them off into their own show?). To be honest, I don't like the way Lucy has become in recent seasons, and I didn't like her in this episode. Yes, a few of her reactions were somewhat justified due to a recent miscarriage, but many of them were over the top. Specifically I point to her sermon, made at her father's church, where she blames her husband for getting her pregnant when she wasn't ready. In addition, she then asks the young women in the congregation if they would sleep with Kevin because he's so hot. If this is the way it's going to be for the rest of the season I don't want to be there for it.

As I mentioned, there is one more couple that the show will focus on this year: Sandy and Martin. What? They're not even Camdens! Sandy is remotely connected to the family because she slept with (and was impregnated by) Martin in order to make Simon jealous. Turns out, Simon doesn't love her. And, even though she's the mother of his child, Sandy doesn't love Martin. But Martin wants to be with Sandy because he doesn't want anyone else to have her. Why are these two people here? Once again, if you wanted to focus on Sandy and Martin, then spin them off into their own show.

Even though there is still a huge fan following, 7th Heaven should not have been brought back, especially in this incarnation. What made the show the unique hit it was is pretty much gone and all we are left with is a shell of its former greatness.

And now, let the scathing comments begin!

Terry

I was totally upset when I noticed 7th Heaven on tonight. My family and I thought it ended with last season and just thought all these recent shows were reruns. We are totally lost now on what has been going on. When was the first show on this season and how many have we missed?

November 19 2006 at 9:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
daphne

i agree for the most part. this show started to get really bad and i was really glad they had ended it. i dont want to watch it but i've been watching since i was 5 so i don't want to stop now. i think they should have just finished it. i'm so glad ruthie is gone though. she has become a horrible actress. i think she was better when the show first started. good choice getting rid of her!

October 25 2006 at 4:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Atheist Fan

I have followed 7th Heaven for many years and have found the plots to be shallow and the acting to be horrible ever since I first saw it. Honestly, the show is *so* bad that I keep watching it. The premiere of the 11th season is no exception. In true 7th Heaven fashion, the absence of characters (the actors presumably found better jobs, although I have no idea who would hire Mackensie Rosman, since her acting abilities seem not to have improved since she was a tiny child on the show) was accounted for by a rapid-fire laundry-list discussion between Eric and Annie. The only suspense at all was with what might have happened to Lucy, but even that was pretty easy to guess long before it was acutally revealed. Lucy's characacter continues to be ridiculous - - her "sermon" was unrealistic and illogical for someone in her position. That Kevin continues to forgive, forget, coddle, and love unconditionally is also a pretty unrealistic scenario, as well. If the show ends up switching its focus to Lucy and Kevin, I will continue to enjoy the bad acting and stupid plots. Martin's behavior has also been pretty psycho, and it would be believable if someone (like one of Sandy's dates, or Sandy herself) actually got hurt, but it's 7th Heaven, and that would never happen. (Too bad.)

I also watch with hopes that SOMEDAY we'll find out that baby Aaron is actually Simon's love child, and that we'll finally get an explanation for Ruthie. Either she is adopted or Annie had an affair with the milkman, because one of those Camdens is not like the others.

But did you notice? In either the premiere or the second episode, Lucy actually said "bye" before hanging up the phone. A 7th Heaven first.

Finally, the wheelchair-bound sister to Martin's old girlfriend - Miriam or Miranda or whatever - was a REALLY good actor. She could take Ruthie's place, and I would enjoy it very much.

October 10 2006 at 4:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lynne Sneddon

This may be dumb, but what happened to Reba, primetime??
I don't mean all the networks that picked it up during the day. I want to know, did Cheyenne and Van fix their marital mess, etx.
When or will we ever find out? Help me please !!!!!!!

October 03 2006 at 1:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shannon

So far I've watched 20 minutes of it and I'm not liking it at all. It's really confusing, and peverted, not "Christian" at all. And Annie is so... different, really weird. And with Eric possibly dying in the next 6 months what is going to happen to the show then? I think they should have kept the show off like they said untill a 10 or 20 year reunion or something like that. It's way to soap operaie... if you know what I mean. And Lucy.... my goodness. She is su ch a know-it-all-get-in-your-face jerk if I do say so myself... But I do think that this show is going to go down the drain, and if it doesn't... I don't think it's going to be that big of a hit this year. Especially since they "said" it was going to be off the air. And they "chainged" their minds... But yeah. Thats my imput.

October 02 2006 at 11:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rhea

I loved everwood can not belive they canceled it. i watch 7th ever since it started. ruthy was my favorite I found myself bored with this last showing, I was wondering what would happen after THE FINAL episode, then this crap came on i was and confused. They really should cancel the show.

October 02 2006 at 10:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marc

Long-time fan of 7H, but my god, that was terrible last night. CW really dropped the ball choosing to extend this show over Everwood.

Here's the question -- would you rather have had more 7H or more Reba? I'd call that a lose-lose.

September 26 2006 at 6:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amanda

I saw about 10 minutes last night - and just couldn't continue watching. Terrible show. I used to like it when it first started - but in the last few years, it's become tedious. Also, I still can't believe 7th Heaven was renewed when Everwood was 100 times better written and better acted. Watching 7th Heaven is too painfully annoying - I won't be watching.

September 26 2006 at 5:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TESSIE

Wow! I can't believe what I watched last nite was 7th Heaven. I have always defended the show as a good wholesome and problem solving show, but last night's episode really went over the top. No one in their right mind would give a sermon like Lucy did and then accuse not only her husband , but everyone else for her having a miscarriage. And no father or minister would allow his associate pastor to give the sermon knowing that she was not stabilized from her miscarriage. You're right, Eric being clueless is mild, dense is more like it. At the most it was not realistic. I agree , that with the budget cuts, the quality went down the drain. It probably would have been best to not have revived it.

September 26 2006 at 4:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kerry

I'm still fuming that the CW/WB decided to renew this pile of half-digested waste instead of Everwood. I've been watching 7th Heaven for years, but the last several seasons have gotten so far off-base I stopped watching it at the end of season #9. I'm not surprised that they brought it back in this bad-spirited, abbreviated form. What a waste of time and money.

September 26 2006 at 9:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply