September 1, 2014

Desperate Housewives: Listen to the Rain on the Roof (season premiere)

by Jen Creer, posted Sep 25th 2006 11:49AM
Desperate Housewives(S03E01) I think what has worked about Desperate Housewives for the past two seasons is its incredible camp. I have not been a regular watcher for the past two seasons, mostly because the time the show airs coincides with children's bedtimes at my house. But I had caught the occasional episode here and there, and I read enough entertainment magazines to have a knowledge of previous seasons' plot points.I would say that the primary strength and the primary weakness of the Season Three Premiere is that there really wasn't an original plotline in it -- yet, the actresses are so skilled that I found myself not caring much. I will still happily tune in next week. But it is deeply reminiscent of Sex and the City in disturbing ways, particularly the caricatures during the lunch meeting in which Bree announces her engagement to Dr. Demented. Could she be anymore like Charlotte at that moment? And what is also disturbing is that her character is also marrying an odd doctor (okay, dentist) played by Kyle Machlachlan. When did his name become synonymous with creepy? So, that Bree-Orson plotline? Lifted right from the movie Sleeping with the Enemy (the first of many terrible Julia Roberts movies). And Susan's plotline with Mike in a coma, so she can flirt with the outrageously cute Dougray Scott in the hospital? Well, The Dead Zone did that first.

I don't have a real basis for the Gabrielle and Lynette storylines. So maybe, yes, we are heading into unfamiliar plotline territory with marital indiscretion/illegitimate children/surrogate babies. As much as Eva Longoria plays a caricature, she does have some nice emotional moments -- like when she is crying about how she is going to be a single mother to Carlos. Felicity Huffman is just always a pleasure, and Doug Savant gets one of the best lines and best deliveries in the show when he tells Lynette how much he scares her.

Other nice moments: When Susan tells the nurse to give Dougray Scott's comatose wife a sponge bath because, "She had an...accident." Teri Hatcher's hand gesture there as she wrangles for the right way to describe dumping a strawberry smoothie on a coma patient is very nice. And Marcia Cross is just priceless as Bree. Her face when Orson is describing his various methods for getting dishes really really clean is great-- Cross plays to her knowledge that the viewing audience will be regarding Orson as a freak (well, okay, this viewer did), and the look on her face suggests that she might be thinking that as well (though, knowing Bree, we know she isn't), and then she jumps him-- revealing her reaction to be lustful. Bree's line when Orson starts moving south, "I'm a Republican!" I laughed hard at that one, and harder when Bree jumped up and ran to her doctor after having her first orgasm. Despite Orson's murderous history, that might just make him a keeper.

If I were Nicolette Sheridan, I would be extremely pissed off because her character had nothing more to do than try to sell a house and insult old ladies. What happened to the concept of ensemble cast, hmmm?

I'll be tuning in next week -- for all of its camp and unoriginality, the show does continue to have that certain something, those little twists of genius that make it worth watching.

scott mclendon

So Bree get's engaged to a psycho:how original.Mike Delfino continues to be wasted,as does Lynette in this idiotic subplot with Tom's lovebunny.May as well bring back the Applewhites.

September 28 2006 at 10:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aaren

Another odd way that the Bree storyline was like the
Charlotte storyline in Sex and the City is that both Bree and Charlotte postpone having sex with the Kyle Machlachlan character until they get married to him. I really thought it was strange to have that same storyline with the SAME guy playing the husband-to-be.

September 25 2006 at 6:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

I rather enjoyed this episode. It was a step above the crap we saw in season two and the whole "I'm a Republican!"/orgasm scene was vintage Housewives. Even Susan wasn't as annoying as she was last year. Here's a question: was that a wax dummy playing Mike or has James Denton had a little nip/tuck? The episode was delightfully trashy and you could see mark Cheery's hand in the writing.

September 25 2006 at 5:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sara

"When did his name become synonymous with creepy?"

Twin Peaks. That's when.

September 25 2006 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RadioScott

Jen, I had a different take on what was going through Bree's mind right before she jumped Orson. She's such a clean freak that Orson's knowledge of and passion for cleaning techniques got her all worked up. She actually found a man who could match her zeal for neatness.

And as far as Edie goes, that character is in a tough spot. She really wasn't part of the original four main characters. But, now I think the writers are trying to incorporate her more. Even to the point of including her in all of the promotional photos now. So, how integral she is to the show is sort of up in the air.

September 25 2006 at 2:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jennifer

I totally agree w/ you bebop!!!!!!!!

September 25 2006 at 1:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bebop

Best line last night, "You've been in this country a year...modify your nouns bitch!"

Eva did really well this last episode. But I disagree with your overall summation of it. Susan's situation is not remotely like the Dead Zone. Besides falling in love while your significant other is in coma is an idea not new in television.

And I don't feel sorry for Nicolette's character and I never will. I never considered her one of the housewives. I will always see that character as Susan's foil, no matter how much they try to integrate her and tell us otherwise.

September 25 2006 at 1:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LumpyG

Looking at the picture one must ask, do any of these women ever eat a meal or if they eat a meal do they ever keep it down?

September 25 2006 at 1:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rob

One thing is for sure, they are moving some of the stories along pretty quickly. At least with Bree they are. I'm glad. Don't want that dragging out!

September 25 2006 at 1:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Roger

You know when the true designer gets back to his place the show will be even better right now,its just a matter of time and the hacks will be gone and the American housewifes will love the new show

September 25 2006 at 12:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply