April 23, 2014

Does anyone still care about Weekend Update?

by Bob Sassone, posted Sep 25th 2006 3:32PM

Seth MyersThat's the question the Los Angeles Times is asking. With the speed of the internet and the sheer number of comedy news sites and The Daily Show, is there still a place for a comedy news sketch in the middle of Saturday Night Live? (Seth Myers takes over as co-anchor with Amy Poehler this season.)

I say, why not? It's not the concept - a fake news broadcast - that's stale, it all comes down to the writing. Like most comedy does, if the jokes work then it should stick around. But if the writing remains lame, and they constantly include these "guest commentator" characters that are unfunny, or if they're just doing it, well, because there's always been a Weekend Update on SNL, then it should be put to bed. But it's the writing.

What do you think?

SeanTubbs

I used to turn in because it was good, or at least, there would be a chance of seeing something decent because the bits are shorter then sketches. But, really, the Daily Show and Colbert do it so much better, that I don't see the relevance of it anymore.

Then again, I think Kevin Nealon did a great during his much maligned stint as the WU guy.

September 26 2006 at 2:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

"Weekend Update" is usually the marker between the semi-lame but sometimes funny stuff that starts the show and the completely lame, horribly unfunny stuff that fills the rest of the timeslot. Which camp is it in? It depends; usually the former.

September 26 2006 at 9:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorv

I record SNL just for Weekend Update. I FF through the rest of it, unless there's a really funny sketch in the TVSquad review.

September 25 2006 at 7:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tricia Harvey

I still think there are things they can do - perhaps they can have some sort of running conflict between the two hosts. Maybe they would be constantly trying to better one another. I keep thinking of the comment by Chevy Chase to Jane Curtin, "Jane you ignorant slut." Would that be too edgy for SNL these days?

September 25 2006 at 4:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Clint

I think it's sucked since they've gone to the 2 person format. Hard to get a rhythm that way. Also, they do way too many unrelated news sketches during it.
I don't think it will get any better as Seth Myers is over-rated. I perfer Weekend Updates to be smart in nature like Miller, MacDonald or Quinn. I think Myers and Poehler are a bit too slap stick.

September 25 2006 at 4:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RadioScott

You're absolutely right, Bob. If it's done well, then of course it has a place. Hell, anything done well has a place. I never really liked Seth Myers, though. Maybe he'll be better in this venue. After all, Dennis Miller always sucked in sketches, but was brilliant on Weekend Update. Sigh. I miss the days when he was actually funny.

September 25 2006 at 4:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nate

I always leave to get my midnight snack when it comes on, it hasnt been decent since Jimmy left

September 25 2006 at 4:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
const

If they got rid of WU, what would be the reason to watch?

Lame skits?

Guest hosts who don't bother to learn their lines?

Bring back Norm!