October 21, 2014

Heroes: Genesis (series premiere)

by Michael Canfield, posted Sep 25th 2006 9:53PM
Heroes(S01E01) Originally, I hadn't intended to watch this show figuring I'd had my fill of people-with-special-powers seek-
answers-and-follow-destinies shows from Kyle XY and The 4400 this summer to last me awhile. But with so much buzz about Heroes on the web, I decided to give it a look and I'm glad I did.

Right off, this beautifully made pilot, with its luscious photography and rich soundtrack grabbed me. The action spans the globe from India, to rural Texas, to Tokyo, and each location is richly realized. Just on a technical level this pilot was the most effective I've seen this season. Clearly NBC is behind the series. Despite all the globe-trotting, most of the action slowly begins to gather around New York City -- just like in Marvel Comics. Another good sign about this series: it is not shy or embarrassed about acknowledging its root inspiration in comics. One character, Hiro Nakamura (played by Masi Oka), is a Trekkie and an X-Men fan. Not coincidentally, he is the one character with little trouble accepting his abilities, nor has he any trouble conceiving what to use them for. They're going to need a guy like him, as many of the others are understandably confused and frightened by their developing abilities.

These characters are a mixed bag, though hardly any of them has been setting the world on fire yet. Hiro, the aforementioned guy from Tokyo, and potential master of time and space, is my breakout favorite. I could watch on entire show based around him and his skeptical cubicle mate. Another standout is Peter, (Milo Ventimiglia: Jess of Gilmore Girls) the kind-hearted nurse in NYC who has lived in his politician brother's shadow most of his life. He still might be living in his brother's shadow after this, depending on how the twist at the end plays out.

Other heroes have an even tougher road ahead of them ( one's a heroin addict, another's a former gambling addict). There's a six-degrees-of-separation thing going on as we see lives intersect in ordinary and not-so-ordinary ways. The character I had the least sympathy for was the Odessa, Texas cheerleader, Claire, who's whining about being stuck with about the most handy superpower imaginable: she can heal from any injury. Imagine how miserable she'd be if she had Niki's weird mirror-twin/blackout-and-kill-all-your-enemies power. But by the end, after seeing Clair's woo-woo Mom, and X-Files-esque villain of a father, I guess she does have her reasons to stress, so I'll give her another chance.

As an aside, Niki, (Ali Larter) the Vegas stripper, has a son, Micah, who is gifted, and I'm not sure if he's just really smart or if he has a superpower. Either way, he's an enjoyable level-headed counterbalance to his stressed-out Mom, who had trouble keeping him in what has to be the snottiest fake prep-school in the greater Las Vegas metro area.

Good start, and, as I can tell from cast photos, not even all the major characters have been introduced yet. I'm sticking with this one for awhile.

scififan9009

Best forum out there for this show is http://www.superhiro.org

Comic book design, great skin. (No I don't mean Claire)

October 20 2006 at 12:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristi

I thought the show was really cool! I actually live in Odessa Texas and for sure we do not have any hills like that except the sand hills!! But is neat that our town is getting alot of credit in this Series & the new coming Friday Night Lights Series. I am going to watch this show again!

October 02 2006 at 12:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason

I guess I'm the only one who was expecting so much more. I LOVE the whole powers theme and was excited to watch. But the story made little sense and didn't grab me to want to understand (unlike, say, Lost). There was an eclipse half way through the show, but people had powers before and after... we didn't see the birth of powers.. we saw one or two discoveries. (probably my biggest disappointment). The girl who hates her healing power i couldn't sympathize with (or make sense of, but I can do a wait and see). The "shocking" end twist looked bad (effects) AND their reaction was odd. And why did they have to have that scrolling intro saying they have a big destiny. The precog dude and his painting could have delivered the information (and kinda did) and been more enticing. Pretty much all I really liked was Hiro, the kid from tokyo. Like I said, I love super power shows and I love shows that keep you guessing (did this show though?) and I will give it a few more episodes... and for all the hype, it just left me confused in a negative way.

And for the random comments on studio 60... yeah.. now there is some good writing going on.

October 01 2006 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nat Whilk

did u see this article: http://digg.com/television/Heroes_and_heroes

September 29 2006 at 2:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Daniel

The flying twist at the end could be even more complicated by the fact that possibly they can only fly if they are together (Milo's character said he always felt a strong connection to brother).

September 26 2006 at 8:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sonya

I thought it was a good story. And I actually lived in Odessa, Texas for about 30 yrs. Both of my girls were born there. So it was kind of cool to see a character from there. Even though we don't have any hills like they showed in the background....We will watch it next week...

September 26 2006 at 7:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ben

I loved the show. My Monday nights officially belong to NBC with:

7:00 - Deal or No Deal (the only reality show I've ever gotten into)
8:00 - Heroes
9:00 - Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

Thank you NBC for a wonderful lineup. first time i've watched NBC since the departure of Friends.

September 26 2006 at 6:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chrissy

This was the best show on tv in a long time. I love the super powers show. It will be a great replacement of my long loved show charmed... LOVE IT>

September 26 2006 at 6:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nerds

Most definitely loving the show already, as I had the feeling I would. I'm looking forward to the next few episodes, even though you previewers are already poo-pooing them.

September 26 2006 at 5:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danny

I actually thought that it would be Hiro's friend that had the power, and he was just messing with him. Then at the end, it turned out that I had the right thought, wrong "hero". ;-)

September 26 2006 at 4:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply