July 29, 2014

Fox gives Tim Minear another show?

by Brett Love, posted Sep 27th 2006 6:27PM
Tim MinearDon't get me wrong. I'm a big Tim Minear fan. Actually, I never missed an airing of Angel, Firefly, Wonderfalls, or The Inside. He served as a producer on all of those, along with writing his fair share of episodes. Heck, I even remember watching some episodes of High Tide back in the day when Minear was just getting started as a writer. Still, news that Minear is being brought on as Consulting Producer for Standoff just boggles me.

Now, I think that Firefly and Wonderfalls were brilliant, and The Inside was solid. But that just means that 'I' think someone should give Tim another show. The part I don't get is that from the Fox perspective, these shows were all failures. They managed to last 11, 4, and 7 episodes. Three series, 22 episodes. What does a guy have to do to be shown the door?

I suppose the argument can be made that someone at Fox sees Minear's talent and realizes that he does great work. So, they continue to give him things to work on. The problem with that is I don't see it in their actions. And Wonderfalls is the most ridiculous example. That show never got a chance to grow. I really wish the powers that be over at Fox would nut up and send Tim packing. Not because I don't want more Minear on my TV, but precisely because I do.

I have every confidence that he is going to make another great show somewhere down the line. And I'm almost as confident that this mystery show would be much better served on any other channel on the dial. I don't know the details of Minear's contract, or how long he is tied to them. But I think it would be in everyone's best interest for everybody to go their separate ways. We've now seen how this goes three times, with a fourth coming. We don't need to see it again.

Jeremy

The thing in the entertainment biz is (as I'm sure you know) that the people in charge of the creative side of things are rarely the same people in charge of the 'making-money' side of things, and when theres a clash, usually money wins.

Sad but true.

October 28 2006 at 9:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sarah

I wonder if they aren't trying to recapture some of Minear's gold from his days as a story editor for The X-Files. American Idol aside, Fox probably can't help but associate him with their glory days.

September 28 2006 at 9:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

It just shows that FOX knows the quality of those shows were good, they just can't help that the ratings were low. I'd be grateful that the execs have a self-awareness factor.

September 28 2006 at 3:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lazarus

From the Hollywood Reporter (7/18/06)
"Writer-producer Tim Minear has inked a new two-year overall deal with 20th Century Fox Television. Under the seven-figure pact, which has an option for a third year, Minear will work on existing series and develop new drama projects for the studio. Minear's priority is "Drive," a one-hour pilot for 20th TV and Fox, which he co-created and is executive producing."

So giving Tim STANDOFF is in line with the production deal he has with them. Also, remember that there is a BIG distinction between 20th Century Fox Television (the production studio) and Fox (the TV Network). 20th Century (which developed Firefly, Wonderfalls, The Inside) really seems to like Tim, having consistently ordered his scripts into the pilot phase.

Unfortunately, they are at the mercy of the Fox Network (which doesn't seem to have the capability of marketing any show that doesn't feature Kiefer or Simon). Fox buys the series and then cans them after 4 episodes.

September 28 2006 at 12:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
the kookie

Standoff, though I love the leads, is a lost cause.

"I really wish the powers that be over at Fox would nut up and send Tim packing. Not because I don't want more Minear on my TV, but precisely because I do."

Well said.

September 27 2006 at 7:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MrC

The question is are the shows financial failures. Wonderfalls and the Minear/Whedon shows have sold quite well on DVD, and all of them including The Inside had full runs in foreign markets.

Tim has a 2 year deal with Fox for development. I'd say them throwing him on the floundering Standoff is a last ditch effort to save it.

Does kinda make you wonder what's up with DRIVE, his pilot that was shot earlier this year...

September 27 2006 at 7:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply