October 31, 2014

House: Lines in the Sand

by Tom Biro, posted Sep 27th 2006 9:30AM
House - Lines in the Sand
(S03E04)
Quick question: a) is House getting a little bit unrealistic this season or b) am I just off my gourd? I'm not usually one to nitpick at television shows, because c'mon, they're television shows, and only partially reality in the case of a show like House. I've got to say that there were a couple things last night that bugged me, most prominently Foreman's quick-to-grab attitude when he wanted to bring Adam, the autistic child, into a scanner, and he was complaining about only having half an hour to do so, and grabbing at the kid's PSP unit to try and take it away and move him along. If there's anything on this show that is just not going to happen, especially in the case of an autistic child, it's that. Just seemed a little out of place, though not necessarily out of character for Foreman. Now, don't get me wrong, this isn't to say that I'm in any way frustrated to not be watching this show, it just seems to be a bit "different" to me.

What I *loved* about this week's episode was how Cameron kept trying to diagnose what House was doing by having his meetings with his team in various rooms in the hospital, since he said he would not work in his office until the old carpeting was back, with his bloodstain from last season's finale. Additionally, it was fascinating to see Cuddy and Wilson discussing the possibility that House could have Asperger's Syndrome, which is a "mild and rare" type of Autism, so perhaps that was why he took the case in the first place. Wilson's primary belief for this was how his pal reacted to not being able to have the carpet in his office, and how he was compensating and "fighting back" elsewhere, such as taking the conference room at the same time Cuddy was set to have a meeting. Best of all, this week, we have the return of House's teenage stalker.

It's absolutely hysterical to me that I'm not at all really bothered by the fact that House has a teenage stalker who is calling the hospital more than a dozen times in a day, and showing up at his clinic hours to be treated, going as far as taking off her shirt when he wants to check her heartbeat. Of course, this is followed quickly by Foreman coming in to report on the status of Adam, which left a funny look on his face. Doesn't anyone knock at this hospital, anyway? Finding out that the young woman is actually obsessed with House not because she has something mentally wrong about her, but that she inhaled something when she was around an earthquake in Fresno, California was kind of a downer, I've got to say. Hell, House said "Damn!" about four times when he figured it out, and the girl almost seemed more disappointed then relieved. "So it's just the spores talking?" And who didn't love House quoting movie lines that the young lady had never heard before, that probably left her totally confused, especially the line about Victor.

Either Cuddy has gotten more and more flirtatious, or everyone's just going to hook up in a prototypical hospital drama at the rate things are going. Wilson asked Cuddy if she wanted to make out when they were hiding from House in the stairwell, Cuddy mentioned to House that she was ovulating when she was kicking his stalker out of the parking garage, and said "let's go" to him. What's up with all that? Maybe Cuddy really is looking to have a baby.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with a bit of a hiatus here, while FOX takes care of business with the Major League Baseball post season for the next few weeks, but I guess we'll have to grin and bear it. The show will be returning to its 9PM timeslot, and I guess we should know sometime in November whether or not the 8PM start grabbed some viewers and brought them along. Let's leave it like this. I'm still in love with this show, I still think it's underrated, but something's just a bit different this year, and it's beyond the character evolution that's necessary to keep things moving. Hopefully we're not eroding what's been an awesome two+ years so far.

Anya

Foreman is classic neurologist. Either they treat you like an idiot, convince you're making up/are cured from what ever brain cooties you have, are perpetually late, and have the WORST time dealing with educated patients. Like, how dare someone know all the ways a med works? Is it because they're making it up??

And no medical school in the country right now does anything good at ALL with autism. There were 3 nursing schools that DID, but not anymore to my knowledge.

Since I had House 'pegged' as autistic spectrum from 1st episode I saw, I'll continue to believe he's Aspie until they come up with satisfactory reasons that he isn't (and being a jerk isn't one, lots of aspies are jerks).

But, man, I thought they'd have outed someone from the Bones cast first...(Yeah, my roommate and I spend quality time autie-spotting characters on TV)

October 01 2006 at 5:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ellen

I loved this episode, especially the "eating the red berries" scene. I have 2 autistic children, and though I would watch this show no matter what, I was a bit more invested in this ep than other eps. I thought it was very realistic, and Foreman's reaction was pretty typical of how exasperated medical people get with trying to run tests on a child whose worst nightmare is people in white coats trying to hold him down!

September 29 2006 at 3:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

But didn't they outright state that they know House doesn't actually have Asperger's, even if he has a few traits in common?

Anyway, here's an entry discussing whether or not the spores thing is true. I vote no:

September 28 2006 at 1:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Janet Pierce

Wilson told House he didn't have AS to keep him from leaning on it like he leans on vicodin. House can be an amazing excuse-seeker. He eventually faces reality, but it takes him time.

I thought the show handled the child's autism well, and loved the "circle" conversation where House concludes the child is really lucky, not to be pitied.

Mom and wife to aspies.

September 28 2006 at 11:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
T.L.

I've got to agree with Anya. The boy "recognized" House - my son is autistic, and he "recognizes" others on the spectrum easily. He says they're "like me".

As far as Foreman snatching the PSP away from the boy -he is a NEUROLOGIST and as such should be fully trained in how to work with an autistic person - it IS a NEURObiological condition, after all. Unless he is a complete a** (which he CAN be, admittedly), he would never have treated the child that way.

September 28 2006 at 10:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anya

I'm pretty sure they came to the conclusion House has Aspergers (not 'is a victim of' or 'suffers from', HAS. Or IS ASPIE. Over 99% of adults on the autism spectrum get pissy about victim/suffer). Otherwise Cuddy wouldn't have put back the carpet.

Wilson was challenging him. House couldn't LIE and say 'yes that's exactly it, thank you for pointing out the error of my ways', for some reason arguing is seen as admitting guilt by neurotypicals (that's most if not all y'all), and something tangental is pretty much the option he had. It was a very Aspie thing to say, too.

And the kid knew...takes one to know one.

-Autistic adult

September 27 2006 at 3:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

That spores thing was...bizarre. I'm a native Northern Californian (yes, SF earthquake country!) and I never heard of such a thing in my life. I especially never got inappropriately horny after a quake, even the Big One, even when I was jailbait. It did sound like something he made up.

I did find it interesting how they managed to balance House's skeeziness (i.e. he ain't totally averse to jailbait...) and yet still get him out of the situation somehow. I guess if the spores thing is real that is more of an "excuse" than if he just bullshitted. On the other hand, I'd respect him more if he bullshitted. Oh well, this is House and he's supposed to be King Asshole anyway.

Regarding toys given to doctors by patients:
(a) Wilson LET him throw that out?
(b) I was just waiting for House to throw out the autistic kid's game after that scene. Then again, House might just keep it and play with it during a meeting with Cuddy or something.

Still baffled on the carpet thing.

I thought House's approach to the autistic kid was interesting- half "Hey, he's free of social constraints, that's awesome" and half "Those poor parents's lives are such hell, maybe they want to kill him." I have a friend who has two autistic kids and she kind of wishes she hadn't had them (or at least the second one, which is a lot worse off than the first and makes it harder to deal with the first). Too bad she doesn't watch television, I wonder what she would have thought of this episode.

September 27 2006 at 12:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

J-Sim,

I definitely don't think that Cuddy is being 100% serious at all, but we all know that on a show like this, what people say is just as important as what they're not saying - or why they are saying it. Or not.

Agreed on the Cameron-House situation. I think it has some potential for conflict, or at least some curious conversations.

Yeah, House did say something about Cuddy being "busy" with Wilson at one point, so there's always something shady going on here.

September 27 2006 at 11:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J-Sim

You've got to pay a little more attention to this show if you think Cuddy's comments were serious. Just the same dry humor thrown back at them. Not to say that there may not be some underlying truth there.

It also seemed obvious to me that House had sent Wilson to Cuddy with the Asperger's Syndrome reference since immediately afterwards we see Wilson tell House that he doesn't have Asperger's.

I'm interested to see the next turn in the Cameron-House dynamic. She keeps trying to understand him while he has her sit by him on Wilson's desk and House also asks why she can't be like the 17 year old girl that stalks him.

September 27 2006 at 11:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply