Celebrity Duets: 3 Perform
(S01E05) Alfonso Ribeiro, Lucy Lawless and Hal Sparks. These are your three remaining Celebrity Duets performers.I'm rooting for Alfonso, who I always felt was the front-runner. Even a bit better than Jai Rodriguez. Although, I do have a soft spot for Hal. So, without further ado, here are the night's performances.
For this week's show the celebrities perform two duets; one with a new professional and another with a performer from a previous episode.
1. Lucy Lawless and Bonnie Tyler: Didn't I say that these two should pair up? This is the first time that I thought Lucy's singing style matched her partner's. She was actually a little better than Bonnie. Judge Marie Osmond said she sounded good, but needed to practice her breathing. Judge Little Richard said Lucy had gotten better (and I actually understood what he said). Finally, judge David Foster approved of her performance as well.
2. Alfonso Ribeiro and John Secada: The kid has natural talent and has held his own with all of his duet partners, making them actual duets rather than just two people singing together. This week was no exception as his performance was excellent. Marie thought he needed more emotion to match the words he sings. Little Richard said he was the one to watch, and David said that Alfonso was the guy to beat.
3. Hal Sparks and Sebastian Bach: Screaming again. Hal is not going to win this competition by screaming all of the lyrics. Sebastian can scream because he's a professional. Marie said Hal was true to himself and he would be a great performer. Little Richard said it was the most screaming he heard in years. David said he has a real voice and he wish Hal used it more.
Now to round two.
4. Lucy and Smokey Robinson: I'm surprised she chose to bring Smokey back, because I thought her worst performance was with him. She did well, even better than Smokey. I have to say that, after my initial review of her performances, she is the most improved. Marie thought Lucy 'smoked' the song, Little Richard said he liked her legs, and David gave her an off-handed comment that she was good. However, it wasn't as specific as something he would say to Alfonso or Hal.
5. Alfonso and Gladys Knight: He did the Carlton Dance! My life is complete now. Again he hits the mark as his voice melds smoothly with Gladys'. I'm telling you, if he doesn't win I'll be utterly shocked. Marie thought he and Gladys had the right chemistry tonight, and with all of his other previous partners. Richard said Alfonso reminded him of the Pips. David said he did really, really, really well tonight.
6. Hal and Dennis DeYoung: Aw, they sang Lady to their respective ladies. Well, Hal didn't scream this time around, and he matched Dennis pretty well. This could be the one that puts him over the top. Marie felt he was terrific. Little Richard thought he sounded unbelievable. David mentioned that he was starting to like Hal's singing.
Before I leave you, a word about host Wayne Brady. I enjoyed him as master of ceremonies. As the weeks progressed he became more and more comfortable in his role and started to enjoy himself, using some of his quick wit skills that he gained from years of improv and hosting his own talk show.
That's it. Place your bets and we'll talk tomorrow (or Saturday, if it's a late night).