October 25, 2014

Charlie Sheen is about to be the highest paid sitcom star

by Joel Keller, posted Sep 28th 2006 12:28PM
Charlie SheenAmidst all the hoopla about The Office, My Name Is Earl, How I Met Your Mother, and other comedies, people tend to forget that the highest-rated sitcom on TV right now is Two and a Half Men. Yes, its ratings were helped a lot by its old lead-in, Everybody Loves Raymond. But it's truly a funny show, even if it's in the dreaded multicamera "traditional" format. Again, it's a case of good writing and good acting overcoming a tired premise.

CBS knows what it has on its hands; that's why it chipped in to make show star Charlie Sheen the highest paid sitcom actor currently on the air. The Hollywood Reporter writes that Sheen is ready to sign a contract that will pay him between $350,000 - $400,000 per episode, which is twice what he was making before. A network contribution, according to the article, has become common in such high-profile negotiations. No word, though, on if the other one and a half men on the show -- Jon Cryer and Angus T. Jones -- got raises, too. I definitely think Jones should get a big raise; he may just be telling fart jokes, but he's doing it with conviction.

[via Pop Candy]

Jimmy

Sheen is so not worth this price. Two and a Half Men was once a funny show, but it is quickly becoming a parody of itself, and Sheen's real life antics make his lead charactet not all that funny.

September 29 2006 at 6:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aaron Peck

Just another by-product of the stupidity of the viewing public.

Aaron.

September 28 2006 at 6:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Jones

Never has a number #1 show puzzled me so much, I sat by Friends and though - heck maybe I can leave 2/22 minutes, Three's Company - well maybe somebody might fall over a couch ... but this is pure crap.

It isn't funny and its so god damn slow, I have fallen asleep after boring fades ... why do we need such a slow paced boring show on TV?

September 28 2006 at 4:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

Like: 2 and a half men.
Dislike: The FREAKIN LAUGH TRACK!!!

Chuck! Drop it!!! We *know when to laugh!*

Sorry, bitterness level is high today.

September 28 2006 at 4:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Earnest Pettie

I agree with Sep. The three-camera sitcom, shot before a studio audience, is the closest many people will come to live theatre. The interaction between actor and audience is still something to treasure, and on the best of the three-camera sitcoms that relationship is priceless.

September 28 2006 at 4:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Ah! More money for hookers and gambling!

September 28 2006 at 3:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Ironically, Sheen is the weakest part of that show (it's a decent comedy), and he's getting paid that $400k per episode to essentially show up on set and read some lines as himself, because having seen him on talkshows over the years, I feel safe in saying that he's certainly not acting out a character on Two & A Half Men.

September 28 2006 at 3:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Campbell

Malfoy: Douglin meant current.

The title of highest-paid sitcom star doesn't sound that amazing considering the competition he has right now.

September 28 2006 at 2:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Malfoy R

It was Ray Romano. I feel like when discussing these things, Friends should be seen as #1 since if there was maybe less of them they would have walked away with more money. Friends($6 million to just the stars alone) as a whole probably cost a bit more than Fraiser and Raymond(unless the other cast members were making a million and I just don't know).

September 28 2006 at 2:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jake

why put down the traditional multicamera show????? I much prefer that than the single camera show such as My name as Earl -- it just doesn't lend itself well to comedy in my opinion. At least CBS has got the best and only 4 comedy lineup on the air with How I met your mother and old christine. That's must see tv.

September 28 2006 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply