July 30, 2014

Comedy Central picks up The Showbiz Show for a third season

by Joel Keller, posted Sep 28th 2006 3:04PM
David SpadeHave you noticed that there are some people in Hollywood who are able to keep their careers going, somehow staying in something resembling a spotlight, for years after they should have faded from the scene? You've got to give these people credit; without their determination, pluck, and do-anything-for-a-buck attitude, people like Kathy Griffin might have fallen off the face of the earth after a couple of years. In fact, I did a Five post about folks like this a few months ago.

David Spade was on that list. He's a funny guy, but never the most talented person in that hoary group of former SNLers. But he's been resourceful and scrappy enough to keep things going for more than 17 years. Which is the long way for me to say that Comedy Central has picked up Spade's The Showbiz Show for a third season, which will begin airing in February. In addition to his cable duties, Spade will have a role in the upcoming CBS mid-season comedy The Rules of Engagement. So, as you see, Spade just keeps on keeping on. I'd make an Energizer Bunny joke here, but it's not 1990, so I'll refrain.

Monty

Exactly what I was thinking! This type of show is based on current Hollywood topics. I needs to run at least once a week on a regular basis. I love the show, although, I liked the original first season better. Didn't care for the guest bits and they axed my favorite segment "While you were working." They also need more Scotty Kangaroojuice.

September 28 2006 at 6:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ttheTVaddict

Personally I'm a big fan of David Spade. I enjoyed his work on JUST SHOOT ME, as well as 8 SIMPLE RULES and THE SHOWBIZ SHOW. He has a love it or hate it style, and I happen to enjoy his work.

September 28 2006 at 5:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lacey

I'm with Mike on this one.

I really really like the showbiz show.

I really like David Spade, and while I do admit that he's not ALWAYS good *coughBenchwarmerscough* I loved Just Shoot Me, and I thought the Showbiz Show was(is) Hysterical.

September 28 2006 at 4:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BartmanDK

Yeah Spade kicked ass on "Just Shoot Me"!!

September 28 2006 at 4:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Seth

Some actors just need the right vehicle, and producers know it. IMHO 'Just Shoot Me' and 'The ShowBiz Show' have been the best at showing off Spade's talent.

IMHO, he's peaking, and has been since Just Shoot Me.

SNL did no justice to his talent - nor did Tommy Boy.

September 28 2006 at 3:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
const

Funniest show out there. Wish it is more than 10 episodes.

He doesn't spare anyone. Sharp wit.

If you don't watch it, you should.

There, I said it.

September 28 2006 at 3:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emily

Wow, is this show still on?

September 28 2006 at 3:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bojangles

I think it's kinda stupid to have a show like this come back for "seasons" they do like 10 episodes and then disappear for eight months, it just doesn't make any sense. Not that I particularly LIKE this show, but it should run year round once a week, that would make much more sense than this season crap. It's not like David Spade has that much going on besides Captital One commercials...

September 28 2006 at 3:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply