July 25, 2014

Doctor Who shatters a sci-fi record

by Michael Canfield, posted Sep 29th 2006 9:43AM
With more than 700 episodes, Doctor Who x TenDoctor Who is the longest running science-fiction series of all time, says the Guinness Book of World Records. Long ago, the series hit on the clever idea of creating a sci-fi explanation that would allow the Doctor to appear in a various "incarnations" therefore neatly explaining away periodic changes in actors, and allowing the series to remain fresh. In fact, in its twenty-first century version, which followed a near-decade break in production from 1996 until Christopher Eccleston picked up the role in 2005, The Doctor seems as popular as ever.

Doctor Who first appeared on the BBC in 1963. "The Time Lord" has been played by ten actors in all. David Tennant now has the role, and season two episodes of the new Doctor Who will appear in the U.S. on the SciFi Channel beginning tonight, with "New Earth." Billy Piper is still along as plucky Rose.

Who's your favorite Doctor?

James

My faves were of course Tom Baker, John Pertwee (he had a certain James Bond-ish charm) Christopher Eccleston (he was FANTASTIC), and the current one Dave Tennant. I was saddened to see Billie Piper go, as she was a hottie and a cutie at the same time. I also loved the Doctor companions Romana and Tegan (I LOVE TEGAN!!!! She looked good in leather!).

March 25 2007 at 3:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ellen Bishop

Tom Baker, hands down, he was perfect!

March 03 2007 at 7:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allen Warren

No doubt, it is Jon Pertwee the 3rd doctor. Arrogance wrapped in great humour(Dry).

October 06 2006 at 4:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

(Tom)Baker, Tennant, McCoy - in that order, although I loved them all, even the dour Colin Baker.

I'd like to give a special mention to Joanna Lumley who had a brief stint as the good Doctor in "The Curse of Fatal Death". She was the only Doc to be incarnated with special features. Or as she put it, "Emma! Look! I've got etheric beam locators!"

September 30 2006 at 10:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
adhonus

I would have said Tom Baker, until I went back and took a look at some of the old shows again. They're not very good to my 21st century eyes. I'd have to say Eccleston, and that Tennant really hasn't blossomed yet. He had moments (will have moments?) and I don't think he's really manic, to be honest.

September 29 2006 at 5:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

They say that your first Doctor is usually your favourite but since my first experience with Doctor Who was in 1964 and not a very happy one (the CBC replaced Bugs Bunny with this new show from England, although not for long) William Hartnell isn't really my favourite. I like Jon Pertwee and Peter Davidson and would probably have a fondness for Patrick Troughton if only more of his episodes survived. For companions, of course Liz Sladen's Sarah Jane Smith, but also the wonderfulJanet Fielding as Tegan Jovanka.

September 29 2006 at 4:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

McCoy followed closely by Troughton.

Glad to see Guiness acknowledged their mistake...:)

September 29 2006 at 4:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nancy

Eccleston and Pertwee but Troughton pulls up very close. Of course I loved them all...

September 29 2006 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TheMatt

I have to admit that I am a fan of the manic doctors, Tom Baker and David Tennant, but Chris Ecclestone grew on me. "The Doctor Dances" and the last ep of his season were really tour-de-force performances.

September 29 2006 at 10:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mamaloo

lp, you oughta mark out your spoilers. Many may not know about Rose, particularly in the US audience.

Up here in Canada, Doctor Who season 2 will start next week. I can't wait!

My family have been whiling away the summer by renting classic Doctor Who dvds and cassettes from the library and buying a few choice episodes online. A well, we've been getting Doctor Who Magazine and Doctor Who Adventures, their kid mag.

I wrote a post on my blog with little videos of my 3 year old son about how he is obsessed with scifi. His bedroom wardrobe is his TARDIS and he takes daily trips in it, as you can see in one video.

September 29 2006 at 10:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply