December 20, 2014

The Office: The Convention

by Michael Sciannamea, posted Sep 29th 2006 9:55AM
The Convention(S03E02) After a magnificent season premiere last week, it would have been difficult for this episode to come close. It didn't, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a very satisfying viewer experience anyway.

Michael can be such an ass at times, but underneath all of the bravado, he is a very vulnerable guy. He generally is hurt that Jim left the Scranton office for greener pastures in Stamford but, of course, Jim admits that he didn't leave because he hated Michael. We all know why he left, but he had to tell Michael about his rejection by Pam. We then see Michael do his best to be a friend to Jim, and when he just acts like a regular guy and not a combination of a comedian and businessman, he can be just fine.

The Dwight/Angela pairing certainly reached another level, didn't it? When Jim got a hold of Dwight's room key at the hotel and walked in and thought he saw a "hooker," I think we all thought it was Angela in some sort of sexy get-up. Plus, I've never heard the word "monkey" used in a romantic sort of way, and I don't think I want to ever again.

We all knew that Pam's date with the cartoonist wouldn't turn out well. Look, it's sort of inevitable that she and Jim will encounter each other again. Whether or not it turns into a romance or just more unrequited infatuation remains to be seen, but the scene where Toby tries to hit on Pam without much success (due to his nervousness) may have implications down the road, whereby either Jim learns of the situation and goes back to Scranton to win her love, or for Roy to win her back. Of course, Pam could just continue to exert her newfound independence and "play the field."

How'd you like that little look when Jan was impressed with Michael's business deal with Hammermill Products? Although Jan gives off the impression that Michael repulses her, she seems to react positively every time he does something that makes her happy. Could another hook-up between them be on the horizon?

The scene at the end with the blacklight bulb was hilarious--Dwight is definitely a player in his own twisted way.

David

Baseball fans take note - the BJ Novak character is named Ryan Howard which is the same as the Phillies first baseman with 58 Home Runs. A Pennsylvania coincidence perhaps??

October 02 2006 at 3:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alberto

"'I did not like the fact they filmed the date. the mockumentary is about the Office, not the social life. the original never filmed personal stuff.'

Posted at 3:34PM on Sep 29th 2006 by Michael G"

Michael you are very wrong here. In the first season they filmed them going out to the club. And in the second season you see a lot of Gervais by himself, including the music video.

October 02 2006 at 11:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sophie

I enjoyed this episode much more than the premiere. Sometime's Michael is just so sad that I feel bad for laughing at him.
For those who are interested, I have just made a quiz for this episode.
Thanks to all that gave feedback on last week's quiz. I've made this quiz mostly 'fill in the blank' questions since the general opinion was that multiple choice was too easy.
Hope you enjoy it :d

October 01 2006 at 2:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Genevieve

Oh, the Toby crush is great...first, the way he perked up when he found out Pam was back on the market, and then he played it just right when he tried to ask her out! I didn't see this twist coming! Woohoo!

Michael seemed a lot more human this week, using his social disappointment to fuel some great work in closing the Hammermill deal. With all the character development, this was a great episode, much better than last week!!

September 29 2006 at 10:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Great episode I thought, I don't think Toby will persue Pam all that much, just seems like a one time deal since it seems most people in the office finds her attractive.
I actually thought the ending scene was in Dwights room.

September 29 2006 at 5:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nate Wesley

Ryan, if my ears weren't failing me, was "My Humps" by the Black Eyed Peas.

Makes sense that Michael would pick that tune, being so 'hip' and all. Gotta love subtle stuff like that.

September 29 2006 at 5:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rick

"Why do they call him The Bus??"
"Because he doesn't like Planes..."

September 29 2006 at 5:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan O.

What was Michael's ringtone? Was it that jingle they play over that Brannif logo at the end of South Park, or was that just my imagination?

September 29 2006 at 3:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kevin

I like the fact that Creed didn't remember Angela's name (he called her Andrea) and thought Meredith was a new employee.

September 29 2006 at 3:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael G

Michael, Gay. Kiss one gay man on the mouth in front of your co-workers. BAM, they label you. Oh well.

September 29 2006 at 3:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply