July 28, 2014

Alfonso Ribeiro wins Celebrity Duets

by Richard Keller, posted Sep 30th 2006 8:15AM

Alfonso Ribeiro, winner of Celebrity Duets.Well, that wasn't much of a surprise, was it? In a show that should have lasted all of ten minutes, Alfonso Ribeiro was named winner of the first Celebrity Duets competition. By winning, $100,000 was donated to his charity Fresh Start. And, I wouldn't be surprised if David Foster, one of the judges for this competition, didn't ask Alfonso to stop by his studios one day. Personally, I always thought Alfonso was the front runner since the beginning of the competition, and I'm glad that he won.

I'll admit that I fast-forwarded through a good portion of tonight's fluff, but there were some highlights. We actually got to see what Little Richard was most famous for . . . singing and pounding the piano keys. Although he seemed a bit out of it (more than usual) he really belted out a version of Good Golly Miss Molly. Wayne Brady also performed this evening with Boyz II Men (now known as just 'Men'). If you had never heard them before, you would have thought that Wayne was part of the group since the beginning; he's actually quite good. Another highlight was solo performances from the remaining three finalists. I thought Alfonso did the best job, and Hal was much less screechy than in past duets. I thought that Lucy's solo performance was the worst, mostly because she looked like she was having a seizure up on stage.

All in all, I liked Celebrity Duets. I think they had a good mix of semi-professional and novice singers and it was actually quite entertaining. If there is another season of the show I would drop Little Richard from the judges tables and switch David and Marie Osmond, so that David could speak first. Definitely keep Wayne as host. If you have some ideas for improvements (besides canceling the show) let me know.

Pattie Hully

I loved the show, please bring it back. I want to know 2 things, what did Smokey Robinson say to Alfonso after he won and what has happened to Alfonso since the show.

October 26 2006 at 1:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pattie Hully

I want to know 2 things, one what did Smokey Robinson say to Alfonso after he won and what has happened to Alfonso since the show.

October 26 2006 at 1:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erlinda

I liked the show. I think it was funny and at the same time entertaining. I was really amazed as how Lucy look nowadays. She could sing very well. Her vocal is amazing. I know why David was not looking at her when she sang. It's because of her beauty. She looked younger than her daughter.

I was happy that Carlton won. I think he was the best. I did not know that the show finished last because I always looked forward to seeing it. Definitely, keep David, Marie, & Wayne.

October 04 2006 at 1:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Liz

Can someone give me the title of the song that Alfonso sang at the very end? Is it a Billy Ocean song? Please, someone help!!! Liz

October 02 2006 at 2:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CHRISTINE

PERSONALLY,I FOUND CELEBRITY DUETS TO BE ONE OF THE ABSOLUTE BEST SHOWS IVE SEEN ON TV IN A VERY LONG TIME! IM PLEASED THAT ALFONSO WON,HE DESERVED IT ALL THE WAY! I ALSO LIKED ALL THE THE JUDGES! WAYNE BRADY MADE A GREAT HOST! IF CELEBRITY DUETS WAS ON A MILLION MORE TIMES,I WOULD WATCH IT AND VOTE A MILLION MORE TIMES! I REALLY HOPE IT COMES BACK! OTHER THAN AMERICAN IDOL,THIS SHOW MADE ME WANT TO PICK UP AND VOTE EVERY TIME! GREAT JOB BY ALL! PLEASE BRING IT BACK!

October 02 2006 at 10:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marissa

I liked the show. I was a huge fan of Hal Sparks, but I do agree that Alfonso has a lot of talent. I think the highlight of the show was the many celebrities that lended their talents. I especially enjoyed Bonnie Tyler, Smokey Robinson and Jesse McCartney. If I had any suggestions I would probably get rid of Marie Osmond. I just don't find her to be very entertaining or intellectual (in respect to her comments). I thought Little Richard was a little crazy, but I figure he's like the Paula Abdul of American Idol.

October 01 2006 at 7:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Preston

I liked the series, though it should have NEVER been put in the same time slot as high rated shows Grey's Anatomy and CSI on September 21st. Didn't Fox know that a lot of people watch those dramas? I saw where Celebrity finished 93rd and 87th place on that week's Thursday and Friday shows. But I was happy that Alfonso Ribeiro won the contest! He was the best! He needs to stay at it with music and get a record contract on either Warner Bros, Columbia, Universal or Def Jam or one of those big record labels. Yes, David Foster a good choice to produce Alfonso's album, but I'd like Alfonso to do something with Scott Storch, the Underdogs, Stargate or Brian McKnight. Same with Lucy Lawless, Jai Rodriguez and Hal Sparks. I love Little Richard's music, but not as a judge--said the silliest and strangest things on TV. Marie Osmond was tough, but quite good. And David Foster knows his music and how artists are supposed to sing on them. I liked how the celebrities got to sing with these top singers. Gladys Knight, Chaka Khan, Patti LaBelle, Richard Marx, Bonnie Tyler,Michael Bolton Smokey Robinson, Dennis DeYoung and others are still at the top of their game.

September 30 2006 at 10:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Arc|Angel

I didn't watch this show but will you guys stop spoiling raelity shows in the titles. You ruined Who Wants to be a Superhero and now this for DVR'ers.

Arses.

September 30 2006 at 8:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tiffany

I liked it, it was cool to see the celebrities out of their comfort zones,
I think the biggest transformation was definately Lucy from xena to pop star? She wasn't fantastic vocally, but she was definately entertaining.
I liked Jai, i was dissapointed that he didn't make it to the final three, i would have replaced screaming hal with him anyday.
Alfanso deserved to win, he was great, and i'm glad that he didn't abuse the carlton dance, it was good used only in moderation.
They should scrap Richard from the judge panel because he didn't make any sense, and David should speak first, he got screwed with time a lot, and his critique was usually the most useful.
Wayne Brady is hilarious, and a great singer, they should definately keep him.
The only thing that felt off for me was Boyz II Men, they weren't as tight as they were back in the day, it was a bit dissapointing. Individually they sounded great, and Wayne fit in well, but their harmonies (the best component of the group) were just nonexistent.
Is anyone else wondering why Little Richard left after the performance? odd.

September 30 2006 at 5:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dee

I love Marie but think she should speak 2nd. Give David the 1st spot and make Little Richard 3rd if he decides to come back. That way Wayne could cut his bits off, but I guess he wouldn't be happy. Glad Alfonso won of the final three. I'd like to see this be more of a summer show and wrap up before the new season begins.

September 30 2006 at 4:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply