July 24, 2014

Men in Trees: Sink or Swim

by Anna Johns, posted Sep 30th 2006 9:45AM
men in trees cast(S01E04) Did anyone else's TiVo not record Men in Trees? For absolutely no reason whatsoever, my TiVo decided not to record it. Nothing else was scheduled, but apparently it wasn't in the mood. All this is a fancy way of saying that I missed the first eight minutes.

I tuned in during a bar scene where Marin was mourning the cancellation of her third book and the townsfolk were mourning some guy named Franklin. So, the whole Lost & Found storyline was lost on me (heh heh). So was the Jack/son storyline.

Even though I missed the beginning, I adored this episode. I am starting to feel a closeness to the characters and I find myself looking forward to seeing them on Friday nights. I especially like the whole storyline for Marin, who is discovering who she is outside of New York and without a man.

This week, Marin, Annie and Patrick were hilarious as they tried to find a new sister city for Elmo, after it was dumped by its former sister city. It was just like dating. The Golden Girls who interviewed the trio to be their sister city ended the interview with a hug and a pat on the back and Patrick knew that was a bad sign. The experience with the search for a sister city mirrored Marin's search for her identity. What was her identity at the end of this episode? I dunno. I'm not sure she knows yet. All she knows is she pretty much has a clean slate and can reset her priorities, as it turns out life is not so much about the shoes.

Once again, we were treated to a fight and make up session between Annie and Patrick. These two are cute and sweet and, so far, I'm enjoying their little early-relationship storyline. However, if this keeps happening in every episode, it may get old. Not now. But maybe soon.

I was so glad to see Ben grow some balls and stand up to Teresa, who has been treating him like dirt for the last four episodes. He's right. He was weak and a little pathetic. It was heartbreaking to watch him get stomped on and I hope this new, ballsy Ben sticks around for a while. Although, the previews for next week show Ben visiting the town hooker so now I'm worried about exactly where he's going with this new attitude.

Great line from Marin as she's booting the Golden Girls out of Elmo: "No one likes a sequined party crasher."

**Emily Bergl, who plays 'Annie' on Men in Trees, has a blog over at TV Guide.

Vivian

Great show! Very funny and refreshing. I Sure hope it survives being on Friday nights. Can't usually watch it on Friday, but I make sure to tape it.

October 16 2006 at 5:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BECKY

lOVE THE SHOW! Sex and the City writer/exec/producer, and Oscar winning movie "Walk the Line" director. Go figure. It's terrific. Hope ABC keeps it on!

October 15 2006 at 11:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lauren

To answer the last person's question Men in Trees is filmed in Squamish, BC in Canada. It's a great town, went there by train when I was in Vancouver. But I heard that it was being filmed there a while ago, then again I'm from Winnipeg, MB, Canada and have many friends in Vancouver.

October 10 2006 at 12:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lauren

I'm glad to see so many other people love Men In Trees too!! My new fav show, and I was worried with it being on Fridays it might not get the attention it deserves, but I see it is. It's like a mix between sex in the city and Northern Exposure, which makes it awsome show!

October 09 2006 at 6:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darlene

I love this show and along with Grey's Anatomy they are #1. Men in Trees is an updated romantic love story which have great characters in this new comedy.

October 09 2006 at 1:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Roger

Wonderful show. Wife & I feel it is bit of a redux of Northern exposure with many of the characters made from parts of NEX. This NOT a bad thing and I don't miss Joel's constant complaining. Plus Anne Heche is much easier on the eyes.
I hope this runs more seasons.

Where is the exact location of the town used for filming?

October 08 2006 at 4:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Renee

I am loving this show! It's so refreshing to see something sweet and romantic and funny that is completely free of mutilated corpses or murders. The raccoon is darling, too.

October 07 2006 at 1:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kendra

I love this show! I know that a lot of Alaskans don't like it because of the "reality" of it...but I think it is very entertaining, plus I love the character of Jack!!

October 06 2006 at 10:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alicia

My TiVo failed to record Friday's episode. Does anyone know where I can download it to watch it? I already tried ABC and they don't have it available. Thanks!

October 02 2006 at 11:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steph

Thanks for saying that about the TIVO. Mine didn't record it either and I totally missed it! I"m usually anal about checking the "to do" list, but I may set "men in trees" to record old episodes too.

October 01 2006 at 7:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply