August 29, 2014

Dexter: Dexter (series premiere)

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Oct 1st 2006 11:12PM

Michael C. Hall as Dexter Morgan.

(S01E01) "Takes life. Seriously." What a great tagline. Just a simple play on words and it tells you everything you need to know about the show. I'm worried though. Dexter is good. In fact, it's really good. That's why I'm worried. Why? Because Showtime has a nasty little habit of canceling great shows. There was The Chris Isaak Show. Then Dead Like Me. The most recent casualty? Huff. All three of those shows were spectacular. And you know what? Dexter is better than all of them. So, yeah... I'm worried.

Top to bottom, start to finish, this show has got "it"... whatever "it" is. You just can't stop watching. Despite all the moral questions Dexter poses, I'm sure plenty of people will be in an uproar over the subject matter. But that's what you want. People talk and then people watch. Dexter is one of those rare shows that even those against the idea will tune in to see. Think Howard Stern when he first started to make a splash. Whether you liked the guy or not, you listened just to hear what he would say next.

So who is Dexter? Played by Michael C. Hall (David from Six Feet Under), Dexter Morgan is a blood spatter analyst for the Miami-Dade Police Department. Once the sun goes down, he takes matters into his own hands. Since the crime rate in Miami is so high, Dexter firmly believes that the city is a fine place to "hone his craft." His craft? Vigilante justice of the most brutal kind. That tagline makes a little more sense now, right?

Dexter isn't alone though. He's finally met his match in another serial killer who I can only assume will be around for the whole season as Dex hunts him down. Look for this storyline to really bring Dexter down as he openly admits to himself that this new kid on the block has skills that even Dexter hasn't mastered.

As I mentioned in this early preview post, one of the hallmarks of this show is the supporting cast. It's really very well assembled and they all work great together. From Dexter's sister Deb to his "girlfriend" Rita, every character was perfectly cast. I mention those two characters because I'd like to think they'll be the first ones to figure out what Dexter actually does and I'm curious to see how Deb and Rita each react when the truth comes out. They're the only two women in Dexter's life... oh yeah, they'll find out.

I'm sure a lot will be said about how gory/bloody/violent this show is. It seems unavoidable if you're going to have a program with this premise, but I didn't think it was all that much worse than something you may see on House or one of the CSI shows.

So now that I've told you how good Dexter is... you should be worried too. Watch this show because if Showtime keeps up it's little trend, Dexter might be gone after one season.

Carol

Great show: Great cast: Well, I guess we know who the ice truck killer is now! Ewwwwwww.....what's he gonna do to Deb, is my worry. And, as long as the show comes back for another season, afterall, Dexter is the 'hero'(not sure that's the right title for him, but afterall, haven't we wished bad things on bad people!)

November 22 2006 at 6:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carol

Well.....now we know it's Deb's new surgeon boyfriend!

November 22 2006 at 2:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer Lambert

I think the show is so awesome i hope they dont cancel the show because thats the only show that me and my husband have to watch on showtime because they took huff off but i think Dexter is alot better than huff and i do think that Rita and Deb will find out about Dexter and what he does but i think Rita will stay with Dexter because she loves him and will stick by his side but she will be freak out by it:) thanks for taking the time to listen to my side take care and e-mail me soon ~jenn~

November 20 2006 at 9:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
psych0fred

Yes, this is really well written and I look forward to more. I do have to say unless they cheese the writing the Ice Truck Killer can't be Dexter because there was someone else driving the truck. The fact that they pointed out th person had the head in the front seat was very significant (I think). The killer found him first and has done his research, just like Dexter. he found Dexter that night and got him to follow him. Otherwise why else would the truck be out except to kill another victim? The victim would have had to hav ebeen killed and prepped for him to throw the had at Dexter, and if he's going to be out in atruck I think he'd be careful enough not to have a head in the front seat without a good reason. I'm gonna bet that's why the body was found where his sister was on a stakeout. Somehow he found out about Dexter first. That's my guess. Now it's all a dance. If he wanted to cover his tracks he would have just killed Dexter, after all he was in his apartment. That also means he knows all about him and his family. I assume Dexter has never left traces of his victims, so that does make me lean to the twin or evil sibling idea. Awesome show. I look forward to it more than any other show this season. The writing is tight, well paced and isn't drawn out.

October 19 2006 at 12:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
marty

This show is beyond awesome. I am hooked. I miss DLM too. I hope this doesn't get cancelled...Dexter is amazing. Great show!!!

October 18 2006 at 6:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kizzie Burkett

ps. Sorry for the typos. My lap top is missing half its keys, lol...

October 15 2006 at 1:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kizzie Burkett

This show is AWESOME.... So of course it will probably get cancelled. Since networks need to please "the common denominator" all the shows requiring "thought processes" get either cancelled, or "dumbed down." Maybe there should be a new netwaork/channel these programs can go to... A PSP channel. Programing for SMART people who want something different and thought provoking... I REALLY like this show...

October 15 2006 at 1:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

It is following the book rather well, which is surprising to begin with. As of my last check, there were two Dexter novels out; Darkly Dreaming Dexter, Dearly Devoted Dexter. Both novels by Jeff Lindsay nad wonderfully written. If you like the show, read the books. They are much better. :)

October 15 2006 at 11:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Myself

ive seen the first 3 episodes. this show kicks ass.

October 15 2006 at 6:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MOTH

I won't say anything about the plot, since so far it seems to be following the book. If you are enjoying the show, and don't care if some twists are spoiled, I would definitely recommend reading the book, Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay. The book was great, and I've been really impressed with the show so far- definitely the best new show this season.

October 04 2006 at 6:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply