October 31, 2014

NBC chief isn't leaving, but did he reveal something about Kidnapped?

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 1st 2006 11:21AM
Kidnapped
Interesting piece in The Boston Globe (via Reuters) about NBC Universal CEO Bob Wright. He says that a recent story in the New York Post (owned by News Corp, which also owns FOX) saying that he was going to be replaced are completely untrue. The sources in the story were unnamed, and Wright says that the reason they are unnamed is because the paper made them up.

Now, that's kind of an interesting, in an insider baseball, industry sort of way. But Wright says something in the piece that got my attention. Wright told reporters that he's pleased with the start of the new season, especially the ratings for Heroes. He then adds:

"Kidnapped is clearly a bit of a disappointment. I think we probably just had a show that was maybe too difficult a concept."

Now, that's an intriguing statement. If the CEO of NBC is saying that a new show is too difficult for viewers (and talking about it as if it was in the past tense), I would say that's not good news for Kidnapped fans.

And I'm one of them. Though I'm not sure that the concept of the show is too difficult. I would say it's just because people are overdosing right now on shows that have one continuing story for the whole season, and also don't want to invest time in them if they fear they might be canceled.

Patricia Marshall

Well, it is disappointing to me to hear that Kidnapped will not last. I have enjoyed the recent episodes, and enjoy the casting, acting and writing. The concept is not that difficult to understand and I feel it could be written as a new Kidnapping each season. Not that hard to see. With the underlying story that Jeremy Sisto's character is ,ultimately,searching for his own sister , who was, also, kidnapped...it has substance. It is beyond my comprehension why networks fail to give new series a fair 'trial'. I am hoping that a new Saturday time slot will give this program a better chance. Jeremy Sisto was so good as Billy in Six Feet Under that I was looking forward to seeing his work in Kidnapped.
Oh, well.......the powers that be will be powers that wield the 'axe', and viewers do not really have a say..do we?

October 08 2006 at 5:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jordan

People know that they have to invest time to follow a story. It seems like every TV show now has a story that the viewer has to follow to keep up. I guess there are just so many shows a person can keep up with and Kidnapped wasn't one of them. On the other had I thought Heroes was really good, in fact I wrote a review about it at:

October 02 2006 at 5:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jaymez

The ep I saw seemed pretty straight forward for a concept. Boy gets kidnapped, parents don't want to report to PD to protect boy and hire a dysfunctional PI. Cops get involved, order PI to share information. They work against each other trying to solve the kidnapping. Same concept used in thousands of movies.

Don't think of the show as a long term event. How will they pull off 7 seasons? Of course, streaching for a season seems a bit of a reach as far as keeping the audiance interested, but, others have pointed out 24 works.

I don't remember when this show airs, but, I probably won't follow it because it's a serial. I had to give up on Lost for the same reason. Great show, I just can't invest that much time. Missing a week makes it difficult to catch up.

It's still a good show. Anything with Dana Delaney is good. Even Exit to Eden was tollerable thanks to her full nude scene. Yes, I watch non-educational programming primarily for babe quality.

October 02 2006 at 1:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike Davis

Kidnapped is a great show. Too bad it won't make it a full season. It's got a great cast, great production values and is very cinematic. I'd love for it to go at least a full season.

October 01 2006 at 3:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark Rabinowitz

That's too bad, because so far, Kidnapped is a smart show. Gload to hear Heroes did well, though!

October 01 2006 at 3:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jeff

If 24 is able to work as a concept , I don't see why Kidnapped can't. I think the show got lost among all the publicity for studio 60 and heroes. I think its a good show with a great cast and its a shame that it won't last longer.

October 01 2006 at 2:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Douglin

I think you misunderstood the show concept, The kidnapping is meant to last for one season, i.e. each season would be a new kidnapping case.

Given that so far each episode is one day, that would mean the kidnapping lasts for 22ish days(we're probably not gonna get that far now....)

October 01 2006 at 2:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike Whalen

I realize it's my loss, but considering I have so little television viewing time these days, I am likely to write off shows like Kidnapped and its competitor on Fox. Why? Well, it sure seems like a _limited_ concept. Is it conceivable that the one kidnapped could remain kidnapped for seven seasons? I suppose so, but, boy, how silly.

Remember that Fox show with D.B. Sweeney so many years ago. I can't recall the name, but the premise was he was really, really lucky. No matter how bad the situation in the end, he always got through it. I liked the show, but it was cancelled after a few weeks and the reason cited was that everyone knew the outcome, week-after-week.

It seems to me these "kidnapped" style shows would suffer from the same problem.

Maybe I'm just too jaded.

October 01 2006 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply