December 20, 2014

I'm OD'ing on Scrubs reruns

by Joel Keller, posted Oct 2nd 2006 12:27PM
Scrubs in SyndicationWhen a favorite show of mine enters syndication, the same thing always happens: I watch the reruns every time they air, even if the same episode airs twice in the same week, and basically overindulge.

This is what's happening now with Scrubs. Not only is it on for an hour every day at 7 on Comedy Central, but my local Fox affiliate is showing a full hour of the show as well... at midnight. And since both sets of reruns are on different tracks -- CC is running the episodes in order from the pilot, while the syndicated reruns are from seasons one and four -- there is little overlap (though I'll watch even if there is overlap). So you know what that means, kids: Uncle Joel stays up until 1 AM just to see reruns of a show he could easily buy on DVD and watch whenever he wants. Thank God I don't have an office to go to, else I'd be toast just about every morning.

In this world of downloads and full-season DVDs that still draws us to reruns? Are there reruns that you still catch every day, even though you may have the DVDs sitting right there on your shelf? Let me know in the comments.

Scott Weinberg

I adore Scrubs and I own all the season sets, but no, I do not watch 'em on syndication. I have movies I have to get to! But every once in a while I need a scrubfix and I just pick one DVD at random, toss it into the machine and have a ball.

NEW episodes are another story. Don't even think about getting me away from a new episode.

November 28 2006 at 6:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christina Warren

I have all of the available Scrubs DVDs (and every episode downloaded too) but I still find myself tuning in at least once a day. In my area, on weekdays Comedy Central airs the show for an hour, the local affiliate airs one episode a day - I usually skip that episode, and WGN (a Chicago station I get via cable) airs an hour of the show as well -- that's a LOT of Scrubs! Part of what draws me in is convenience (I have almost 1000 DVDs and my apartment is a mess), part of it is laziness (I once ordered a movie off pay-per-view before realizing I already had the DVD), but the biggest part is that Scrubs is one of those shows that is just great any time you want to tune in to watch it. If anything, having it on at a set-time every day makes it easier to look forward to and enjoy. The Simpsons and Seinfeld are the same way -- I'll watch the episodes on TV, even if I have the DVD, as long as it is a quality, funny episode. The only thing I draw the line at is Tivoing shows I own on DVD -- that's just redundant (though for shows that have DVD edits for soundtrack or whatever, sometimes I'll make an exception).

October 14 2006 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris Wyant

Tell me about it! I have to be at work at 7 and I usually stay up to watch the first Scrubs on Fox 5 (NY). I own so many tv shows on dvd, but for some reason I hardly ever watch them. I always end up catching the shows on TV. I think it's got something to do with the passiveness of being spoonfed programming. We don't have to make any decisions (or get to) and can just sit down and watch the show. With DVDs, you have to pick what show you want to watch, then which season, then which disc. Between On Demand and general syndication, I feel I've wasted hundred of dollars on TV Show DVDs. Yet I still buy them!!

I think the bottom line is that if you have a classic show you really love, you'll enjoy it when you can catch it. Owning the DVDs is ideal particularly if you have friends who "have to see this show" and you can have a marathon. But that's a commitment that you don't have to make with reruns, and you still get your fix.

But I own Seinfeld, Grounded for Life, Buffy, Aqua Teen, Venture Bros, Family Guy, Black Adder, Fawlty Towers, Father Ted, Coupling, and The Office. All of these shows can be found in the syndisphere, but I like converting friends to some of the lesser-known shows by handpicking episodes that really display what I love about them.

October 02 2006 at 1:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Yme Sandelmann

My "case" isn't exactly the same. I'm a student from Europe (therefore can't watch US TV) and get my fix from the internet. And everytime I have to do something important but totally boring (like learning for exams, writing an essay) I think about all the shows I never watched but should have. This was recently the case with "Battlestar Galactica". I saw the first episode, was hooked and then watched all season 1 & 2 in four days, leaving me with one more day I had for learning ;-)

October 02 2006 at 12:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jgreene

ive always heard that scrubs was a great show but i never got the chance to watch. I too have now been od'ing on the eps. what a great show!

on another note you'd think that after watching senifeld reruns for 8 years id get tired of it but i find myself in front of the tv at 6 every night to watch them on tbs, i sometimes even catch the late night showing on our local fox station.

October 02 2006 at 12:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply