August 1, 2014

Monday ratings: Bachelor up, Studio 60 down, Heroes up and down

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 3rd 2006 2:45PM
Howie MandelFirst off, can someone explain to me how a shitty reality show like The Bachelor and a formulaic CSI spinoff both beat a show like Studio 60? Really, I'm asking.

OK, now that I've said, the ratings. CBS won the all important 18-49 demo on the strength of CSI: Miami, which actually grew in numbers as the 10pm hour progressed. Deal or No Deal and Prison Break tied for first at 8. Heroes was first at 9pm, and even though it was down 10% from last week's premiere, the number of viewers actually increased in its second half hour. The Bachelor's numbers were up 30% from last season's debut. As for Studio 60, it was down 17% from last week. The CW barely registered with Runaway.

erik5150vh

I think Studio 60 is excellent, although last week's episode was a bit weak. To all the people who are offended about the shows "condescending" nature however, shame on you.

TV is a vast wasteland full of infotainment, and it never hurts to have a thoughtful show like Studio 60 on the air. It's as if Americans have some fascination with being spoon fed everything, as if it's OK to be a little dumb and have your television reflect your shallowness. No wonder so many other industrialized nations are leaving this country in the dust...preachy enough for ya?

Now for a question to the shows haters. If you think it's boring fine, but particularly those who argue about the nature of the show or its presence. What did you all think of the West Wing? Or was that ALSO too intelligent of a show to be bothered with, cuz God knows thinking in our lives ends the moment we leave office for the day!?

You say how a show like Studio 60 won't make it, and ultimately you're probably correct - although in my opinion, for mainly the wrong reasons. Something tells me that many of you are also the one's who said the West Wing was dead in the water, citing it as arrogant, self absorded, condescending, and too "smart" for the American public. Four consecutive grammy awards for best drama, a record for grammy in a season, five highly rated seasons, four of which in the top-ten LATER and no one was preaching the aforementioned about the West Wing anymore!

October 13 2006 at 9:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sara

Weeds on Showtime is 50 billion times better than Studio 60 and on against it. Go Weeds!

October 09 2006 at 4:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kyle

Bring back Sports Night!!! one of the greatest shows ever!! I do like Studio 60 though, I wish they brought back the guy who played Dan Rydell on Sports Night in some capacity in Studio 60

October 09 2006 at 1:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
maxman

1. Hype is spelled with a y, not an i.
2. Can't anybody make comments about a show without bringing some sort of political bias into it anymore? It's just a TV show. I wish we all could get this fired up about the healthcare system or the environment or Iraq! Instead we all sound like sour grapes. Studio 60 may not be as great as Sports Night was, but at least Sorkin is out there doing SOMETHING with his time. We all have so little to do that we sit here and bark at each other. Geez. Take it down a notch. Or change the channel. There is always a good repeat of South Park on. (That's not sarcasm; there usually is a good episode on.)

October 05 2006 at 3:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Judi

I watched Studio 60 once. Over-hyped, disappointing, not going to waste my time again. Accept it, on this show, the Emporer is naked. Fans of the show sit around and congratulate each other on how smart you are and the rest of us will have lives.

October 04 2006 at 9:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lgl

The reason Studio 60 doesn't work is that it takes itself too seriously, Matthew Perry (who I love) is just playing himeself, Amanda Peet is a weak link and the tenor of the show is pretentious. It almost condescends to the viewer. It's like a smart kid trying so hard to prove how smart he is. The dialogue is not nearly realistic. I know the characters can't be swearing every other word, like the real life "not-ready-for-prime-time-players", but still, NO ONE talks the way that Sorkin writes. The show is actually boring, because I don't care about ANY of the people. Not one redeeming character. Sorry, I calls em as I sees em.

October 04 2006 at 9:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
annette

Reading the rude remarks here ... is it getting so bad
people don't respect each other enough not to be rude?

I'll skip this season and drag out my tapes of Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman.

at least we have cable now!
Discovery Channel, National Geographic, Oxygen ..
I can remember when all we had was about 4 or 5 stations.

October 04 2006 at 5:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Larry

I watched the first week and wasn't impressed. I came back for week 2 in the hipe that it would get better but it didn't. There are too many other shows out there that I enjoy watching to give up another hour from my life to watch a show with people in it that I don't care about.

October 04 2006 at 12:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RevJonathan

Man, I bet he could get all the Sports Night actors (apart from Felicity Huffman) back for season 3 of sports night....lets do that.

October 03 2006 at 10:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael C

speak for yourself Rogerdoger...'the rest of us'...who ARE you?? pathetic!!!!

October 03 2006 at 8:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply