April 18, 2014

Eureka picked up for second season

by Brett Love, posted Oct 5th 2006 9:40AM
Cast of Eureka
Good news everyone. SciFi has announced that Eureka will be coming back for a second season. They have ordered 13 more episodes which are set to begin production in the spring. The series will return with all new episodes next summer. Based on the numbers, this was a slam dunk decision for the network. According to the press release, Eureka is SciFi's highest rated, most watched show of 2006. Not only that, it outperformed the previous year's time slot average by +175%. The detail that really surprised me though... Tuesday's Eureka finale beat the CW's Veronica Mars premiere in males 18-49 and males 25-54. Confirmed to be returning for the second season are Colin Ferguson, Salli Richardson-Whitfield, Joe Morton, Jordan Hinson, Ed Quinn, Debrah Farentino and Matt Frewer. I'm a little disturbed that they didn't mention Erica Cerra there, but hopefully that's just an over-site.

Tom

Great to hear! Eureka has got to be one of the most entertaining shows on TV. Too bad Sci-Fi (or my cable provider) kept viewers guessing on what time episodes would actually air. I missed a few.

October 28 2006 at 1:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JASON DENNIS

hate to say it but my friends and myself have decided to boycott sci-fi altogether unless they bring back stargate sg-1. what is the point of getting involved with watching one of their shows when they will just turn around and cancel it on a whim and screw their (devoted) viewer base?

October 25 2006 at 8:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

I'd like to chime in also with the "great news" comment! I do hope Jo will be back though.

October 06 2006 at 12:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Oh, hallelujah! I was so anxious after the season finale--not knowing the numbers and not having heard much buzz in general--that I actually wrote to SciFi begging them to bring it back. Talk about instant results!

October 05 2006 at 3:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kevin

I'm very happy to see Eureka get a second season. The show reminded me of the Sci-Fi / Fantasy dramas that were prevelant as first-run syndication during the 80's and 90's (like Highlander, Hercules, Xena, etc.) before the advent of "Paid Programming". It was a fun piece of TV that was simply entertaining. I do hope they wrap up the Beverly arc in the second season and not fall into the "X-Files" trap.

October 05 2006 at 1:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jigsaw hc

Goody, more Eureka!

October 05 2006 at 1:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jeff smith

Great to hear!!!! One of my favorite shows, perfectly cast and written. Cant wait for next season.

October 05 2006 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jorge Asch

If the episosed seems to be out of order, it was because they were. SciFi pulled a 'Firefly' on us, just like FOX did when Firefly aired.

October 05 2006 at 11:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

As a sci-fi fan, I like Eureka and was happy to hear it got a second season, but this season was a bit superficial IMO. Sometimes it even seemed the episodes were out of order. And the characters really have very little depth. Even the stories, while charming, weren't all that original...

But that said, I've seen Stargate: Atlantis go from iffy in season 1 to pretty darn good in season 3. And the jump in The 4400 from season 1 to last season (... even though it's on USA) has been remarkable.

Maybe Eureka just needs the security another season provides to really come into it's own. I hope so. Even with my personal criticisms, I really think this show has the potential to be really good eventually.

October 05 2006 at 10:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason

I wonder if it has to do with Erica Cerra's character on Battlestar Galactica (she plays the adopted mother of the cylon/human child).

October 05 2006 at 10:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply