December 22, 2014

The CW swaps Sunday, Monday lineups

by Anna Johns, posted Oct 5th 2006 7:24PM
everybody hates chrisIn a move that's a bit of a head scratcher, The CW has decided to flip-flop its Sunday and Monday night schedules. That means the oddly paired 7th Heaven and Runaway will be on Sundays, while Everybody Hates Chris, All of Us, Girlfriends and The Game will move to Monday nights. The switcharoo puts The CW's comedy block up against CBS' Monday night comedy block, which includes How I Met Your Mother and The New Adventures of Old Christine. The schedule change begins Monday, Oct. 9 for the comedies and Sunday, Oct. 15th for the dramas.

kerry

Sooooooo much smarter. 7th Heaven should have always been in the Sunday night "family friendly drama" spot a lot of networks have (which inexplicably had Desperate Housewives a couple years ago, but whatever), and the Monday night comedy block was generally pretty good on UPN, why screw it up with the CW?
Glad for the change, now Chris and my Sunday lineup won't butt heads anymore.

October 06 2006 at 1:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stone

Good....7:00 on Sunday is a TERRIBLE timeslot for Everybody Hates Chris.

October 06 2006 at 12:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TG

I think it's cool that they switched up the lineup. I had to keep reminding myself that the comedies I would watch on UPN is on Sunday... I know they were trying to switch it up being the new green network, but eh... I don't care for 7th Heaven, and Runaway is like watching butter turn into curry. So go CW, I don't know if it will help...

October 05 2006 at 10:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gene

This makes sense to me. I'd wagger that a good number of African Americans were watching football on Sunday nights. Now with ESPN doing MNF a good portion of this group may have access to CW and not ESPN maybe. CW's comedees were dieing on Sunday.

October 05 2006 at 10:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erica

Curse my varied taste in TV!! Now I have to choose between 3 shows on Mondays! But it is definitely a better slot for "Chris."

October 05 2006 at 9:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Taylor

UPN has always had a relatively good history of being able to counter program CBS's "white" comedies, so to speak (I say that, because they mostly have Caucasian cast memebers) with their own "black" comedy block and create their own little niche.

So, the move isn't much of a head scratcher for me.

October 05 2006 at 9:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason

It makes sense if you realize you've lost the African-American audience that was used to going to the UPN for a Monday night comedy block and the audience you were hoping to come from the WB for 7th Heaven's 8 millionth season hasn't.

They can get the same weak numbers for 7th and Runaway on Sundays but they can probably bounce a bigger "in the demo" number for Everybody Hates Chris, Girlfriends, et. al. on Mondays.

October 05 2006 at 8:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply