December 21, 2014

Goodbye Smith

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 6th 2006 3:03PM
Smith
Are you enjoying Smith? Too bad! CBS has decided to shelve it. The Ray Liotta drama has been doing so-so in the ratings, and it looks like CBS doesn't want to take any more chances with it.

There's no official word on the move yet, but expect something official later today. In fact, check out the web site. There are still some links to get to the show's page, but it's gone from both drop down menus!

As I mentioned in my reviews, the show has started to go downhill from an intriguing pilot. Maybe CBS saw something in the upcoming episodes that said, "hey, let's dump this for now and put something else on"?

Update: Yup, it's gone.

Brian

It truly is too bad that this show has been canceled. It was cleverly written, which is something TV viewers seldom see these days with the prevalence of so many reality TV programs. I just hope that another network picks up this show so that it can continue to develop a fan base. It is evident from the number of posts on this site that there are quite a few fans of the show out there.

January 03 2007 at 9:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

It's Dec 29 and I'm still steaming about this. CBS, please bring back Smith. It was the first time in years that I was hooked on a show. Great new show. Give it a chance.

December 29 2006 at 3:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lorraine

Too bad, was beginning to really get into the show. Guess the only one that turned me off what the female star.... couldn't warm up to her. But the story line itself was rather good. Too bad.

November 03 2006 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cindy Clark

I haven't watched CBS shows for a very long time and I guess it will be ALOT longer now that they've canceled the show "Smith"! That is the best drama series besides "The Sopranos"! WHAT IDIOTS! YES IDIOTS! Goodbye CBS! Hope you are last in the ratings!!!!!!!!

November 02 2006 at 11:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tequilababs

That totally burns my butt!! Instead of shelving the show right off the bat, why would they not try and move it to another day or another time and see if it does any better!?? What is happening to television these days???!!! "Smith" was probably one of the best new shows on this season!!! CBS sucks!!!!!

October 23 2006 at 9:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chas

Man, another show I was starting to get into and CBS pulls the hook. What a shame the show was canceled just like Threshold!

October 23 2006 at 2:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ian

To think I gave network tv a chance this year, Smith was the best thing going.....more criminal this and csi that i guess. Back to HBO for me.

October 19 2006 at 11:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tracey fish

Unbelievable to me that this show has been cancelled. Ray Liotta is an exceptioal actor, and the story line was full of possibilities. Yet shows like America's got talent with a bunch of fruitcakes, or mindless shows like Deal or No deal, and Dancing with the stars get huge ratings. Unreal...

October 18 2006 at 2:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

I have to admit I was shocked that Smith was cancelled. CBS didn't give it a chance, there as so many other show out there that continue to make it, and this one had a lot of promise. I was just starting to get into it. Please CBS don't touch the UNIT! It seems like as soon as you start to get into a show its gone.

October 18 2006 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marc

Best thing about this show was it didn't insult our intelligence, as TV has a tendency to do. Ray Liotta & Virginia Madsen brought quality acting to television and so far, the show avoided pointless silly side-plots about its characters. You know... once the viewers have gotten to know them, how characters degrade into goofiness that sinks just about every TV drama. Admittedly, LOST is already skirting that line, but it's still my only not-to-be-missed show.

I was into SMITH - didn't love it (for reasons others have mentioned), but I was willing to give it time. I found it compelling, like a good caper movie. It was one of only three new shows I was going to stick with (Heroes & Studio 60 being the other two). Too early to pull the plug. Unless, of course, the coming episodes were truly aweful.
Then again, why I am complaining? CBS just bought me another free hour away from the tube. I'm going out for a nice walk.

October 17 2006 at 10:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply