September 22, 2014

Short-Lived Shows: Voyagers!

by Adam Finley, posted Oct 6th 2006 9:01AM

voyagersThe cool thing about portraying time travel, whether it be in books, movies, or television, is that no one has figured out how to do it in real life so you can pretty much just make it up as you go along. It's not as if there are people at home who have actually time traveled yelling at the screen: "Damn it! That's not how we did it when we went back in time and used Marie Antoinette's head as a soccer ball!" That is, however, a line from my new screenplay about time travelers who go back in time for the sole purpose of kicking around severed heads. It's called The People Who Go Back in Time and Kick Severed Heads Around.

Where was I? Oh yeah, there's a series I remember from my youth called Voyagers! about a man and a young boy who would jump to different periods in history to make sure history stayed on course. The man, Phineas Bogg, originally used a history book to help him along, but soon a young boy named Jeffrey, whose father was a history teacher, becomes his new guide. The team are guided by a small device called an Omni, which flashes red whenever history has gone wrong, and turns green when everything is okay again. Yellow means proceed with caution, and blue means there's a sale in linens. But I kid.

The episode that sticks with me the most, and keep in mind I was only six when it aired, is the one where they find baby Moses. I guess this means the time travelers were on biblical time, which means they had much less time traveling to do than if they followed an evolutionary timeline. Or maybe I'm overthinking things a bit. Either way, it was a fun show, at least to my much younger self, and it certainly had some educational value to it, such as teaching me that a show with this premise will only last one year.

A bit of trivia, thanks to Bob, the man who remembers everything about TV: Actor Jon-Erik Hexum, who played Phineas Bogg, died in 1984 after jokingly placing a prop gun to his head on the set of the CBS series Cover Up. The wadding from the gun struck his temple and killed him. Also, Meeno Peluce, who played Jeffrey, is the half-brother of Punky Brewster herself, Soleil Moon Frye.

Kattia Mora

Hello from Costa Rica.

As a history buff you can imagine how much I loved the show , besides no 11 year old girl would miss that adorable hunk. My God! that man had a bright future just waiting for him. What a shame.

December 06 2006 at 12:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Max

Hi from Argentina. Someone have any SUBTITLES for the episodes, in any languages?? thanks, gracias!!!!

November 15 2006 at 10:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ginger

I really love Voyagers! I was a baby when it first aired but my interest was really sparked when i was around 13 and it re-aired on the sci-fi channel. It was a fascinating show, and I loved the stars. Please visit my new site and sign the guestbook. It's an ultimate Voyagers site you'll love.

October 20 2006 at 6:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Catherine

This was my favorite show at 11 years old. Jon-Erik Hexum was my greatest love and greatest heartbreak (at 13 when he died) over the next 2 years. I bought a couple of episodes from the fan club. I liked the Babe Ruth episode where Bogg played baseball and the Titanic one was a good one, too. Thanks for the article and memories!

October 09 2006 at 9:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wil Wheaton

I loved this show, and I auditioned for it a few times when it was first on the air.

I knew Soleil and Meeno, and boy was he a rockstar around all of us kids, because he was on this show.

Finally, the way you wrote this cracked me up several times, Adam. Thanks for that!

October 06 2006 at 7:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gilbo

Whenever friends and I would reminisce about tv shows, I would describe this show and no one would know what it was. I couldn't remember the name. Then I come here today and see this picture. A weight has been lifted.

Thank you TV Squad. I can move on now and tell others the story of Voyagers.

October 06 2006 at 4:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
girlfiend

This was my favorite show and practically no one else remembers it.

October 06 2006 at 3:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ringmaster

I, too, was a fan of this show when I was 12. The Edison episode where the omni was disassembled was a favorite.

On my office wall at this very moment, I have a drawing featuring a technical schematic of the Omni! I am a system tech at a distance education department, it's up with all the equipment and facility schematics.

I too can't escape my nerdly past.

October 06 2006 at 1:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Liz Newcomb

This was one of my absolute favorite shows when I was a kid! The ep I recall the best was when they met Lawrence of Arabia. I seem to remember that his hotness gave Jon-Erik's a run for its money! I was also such a fangirl even at that age (12-13?) that I wrote to the network to ask for an autographed picture of Jon-Erik - which I got! After his untimely death, I treasured it even more.

October 06 2006 at 11:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Margaret

I loved, loved this show. At the time I couldn't believe that a show I loved actually had some things in it I could talk to my dad about - history.

And John Erik Hexum in a pirate shirt, what young girl would want to miss that?

October 06 2006 at 11:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply