August 1, 2014

The Office: The Coup

by Michael Sciannamea, posted Oct 6th 2006 10:46AM

The Coup(S03E03) Michael Scott may act like a knucklehead most of the time, but say this for him--he will not go down without a fight.

You just knew that sooner or later Dwight would try to undermine Michael, and Angela's influencing of him to do something about the office finally pushed him to meet clandestinely with Jan. Despite Jan's dismay over Michael's "Movie Mondays" and other offbeat practices, she must have some feelings for him at some level, because she did warn Michael about Dwight instead of looking to replace him. Obviously, their "hookup" last season must have had some effect on her.

I have to be honest--the scenes with Jim at the Stamford office are beginning to grate on me. Is every branch office at Dunder Mifflin filled with crazies? How then does the company stay in business? I think it would have been funnier if Jim ended up in an office where it's nothing but work and no play at all. The "Call of Duty" bits didn't do much for me.

I'm sure we'll eventually see Jim somehow connect with Pam and the rest of the folks at the Scranton office, but the nuttiness in Stamford seems a bit forced. Of course, there may be a romance angle there with the lady who sits behind him, so we'll see how this plays out.

We continue to see Pam coming out of her shell by dressing up and, of course, Roy shows up and comments how good she looks. He vowed in the first episode that he was going to try to win her back, but so far, he hasn't done much.

Of course, the key part of the episode was Michael's tactics in exposing Dwight for going behind his back and disloyalty. Dwight certainly thinks he has leadership skills, but it wouldn't be a stretch to say that most of the staff would head for the hills before he had a chance to fire them.

Michael wins out in the end and shames Dwight into doing his laundry for a year, among other things. I somehow get the feeling that Dwight will continue to undermine Michael, with Angela egging him on. Will Jan continue to look out for Michael and provide "advice" so that he and the rest of the staff stay afloat?

Sophie

I thought the episode was pretty good. The interaction between Michael and Dwight were so funny, I loved 'Crentist'. And as a huge Entourage Fan, I loved the Hug It Out Bitch, especially how Michael learned that you can't say it to women.

I know its a bit late but for those that are interested I've made a quiz for this episode.

I hope you guys enjoy it :-)

October 09 2006 at 2:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FlagPatrick

Overally, it was a mixed episode. Michael showed everyone while he's in charge, it's good to see him not act like an idiotic asshole for once. Dwight's crazy demeanor just proves how great the show is. The absurd and random lines from him can take up a separate series. Jan definitely still has a thing for Michael. Having Jim at another branch can work for awhile but soon, they'll have to get his ass back to Scranton. I like Ed Helms he continues to rock. But Chip the boss is too flat and straight. He's not that funny, Ed Helms should have been cast as the boss then we'd see some hilarity. Because this whole call of duty segment should have been much funnier. And of course Creed continues to provide few but funny lines.

October 08 2006 at 1:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
smikwily

As a fan of both Entourage and The Office, the HIOB line had me literally crying I was laughing so hard, for at least a solid 30 seconds. The "lob" at the beginning of the episode (Pam stating that Michael made them watch one episode of Entourage) had it somewhat rolling in the back of my head, but when Michael told him to stand up, Ari's catch phrase was the last thing I was expecting to hear next. I'm sure this only hit a small percentage of crossover viewers, but man, did it hit hard. Brilliant. Just brilliant...

Mention of Call of Duty was a nice touch and it feels good, as a gamer, to not only see mentions of gaming, but them being used in an "everyday manner".

October 07 2006 at 9:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
harsbars

I am ALSO beginning to really like the Jim/Karen romance. I love Pam but she's abit indecisive. Karen had a lot of cute moments in this episode. Especially the 'paper clips' scene at the ending. She looks at Jim from behind, the way Jim used to look at Pam from behind. Oh and she's really funny, so far.

October 06 2006 at 4:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gilbo

Good episode.

1. I hope Big Tuna starts a relationship with Karen. She's hot and plays CoD. Though everytime Pam is brought up he looks at the camera like a wounded puppy. So it would only be a temporary excursion.

2. Dwight called Michael "Mike" the second he was given power. Such a small thing but it's funny to hear him referred to as Mike.

3. Kelly scares me and makes me laugh at the same time.

I f'n love this show. It's incredibly "real".

October 06 2006 at 3:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diana

For those that don't know who Rashida Jones ("Karen") is, she is the daughter of Quincy Jones and Peggy Lipton. And yes, in my opinion, much hotter than Pam. I hope Jim can see that!

October 06 2006 at 3:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Borat

Karen is a hottie, and that scene with Jim throwing the grenade was weird. I don't think Jim will ever go after her though.

I've said it multiple times but man Steve Carell has to have an Emmy. Michael showed a different calculating side and it was great to watch.

Minor characters like Creed and Stanley just add to the brilliance.

October 06 2006 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diego M

I think Ed Helms' character is a little over the top
" I am not talking about the game i will shoot you with a gun" over the game. it was funny but he cant really be that in the game, not even with madden 07. Karen and Jim would be great to see, he needs to get over Pam and Karen is a lot cuter than Pam. Will Jim hit it just because he needs to forget about pam? Great episode

October 06 2006 at 2:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan McClure

I loved the Pam/Jim subtle romance angle last year but I am beginning to like what looks like a Karen/Jim romance even more. Jim laid it all on the line twice for Pam and she said no twice. Jim needs to move on and make Pam jealous and show her how it felt when she was with Roy.

October 06 2006 at 1:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sean

The last place I worked, people played FPS during lunch and slow periods.

I suck at FPSs so I didn't play much :)

I'm with Christian. If I can actually motivate myself for 2 hours a day, I'd get sooo much done!

October 06 2006 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply