April 18, 2014

Who Wants to Be a Superhero? renewed

by Adam Finley, posted Oct 7th 2006 3:54PM

stan leeThe Sci Fi Channel has renewed Stan Lee's quirky reality series Who Wants to Be a Superhero? for a second season, ordering ten new hour-long episodes set to air next summer. Lee says the new season will be even more insane than the last, and I'll have to take his word for it because I didn't watch the first season. I must say, however, that just the idea of a reality series about people pretending to be someone they're not exposes the fundamental flaw in all reality programming, which is that once the cameras are on, reality ceases to exist. At any rate, if you're a fan of the show, consider this good news.

Rob

This show is good because it deviates from the normal run of the mill reality show.

"Superhero" rewards participants for being good, respectable, heroic people.

Much of the reality television on the networks is pure crap that I wouldn't let i kids watch. "Superhero" isn't one of those. It falls under the category of "family entertainment" that is almost a thing of the past today.

Now, that's not to say I don't watch shows geared toward adults. I'm a big fan of "The Sopranos" and "Dexter." I just don't like the lack of creativity that goes into a lot of these newer shows. They're rehashing the same garbage over and over again....and "Superhero" is a nice breath of fresh air from all that.

September 04 2007 at 6:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bud Warner

I like the over all show and wonder what it took for these people to come forward with a hero idea. Sure some stunts look like they were set up for some of the people. But when it came down to it I think feedback was #2. Tyverous should have been number 1. Stan Lees trick of asking the question who should go was as open as you can get. I the line of a real hero(firefighter) you have to make life and death decitions all the time and figure who could cut it and who couldn't. So Ty had to answer the question with truth. And Fat momma also answered the question too. But because all the self center (and did you notice the color of who answered and who didn't) heros who fololowed feedback stupid line "I would give an answer I can't kick me out daddy stan" a true american hero was sent home. I too have a split personality with a comic book hero I would like to see if We could make it on the 2nd show?

October 21 2006 at 11:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shannon

When I first heard of this show I thought to myself WOW! this should be good since it's stan lee..I was wrong.

Ok,

It's SOMEWHAT fun but not fun enough to make me sit through another season.

October 14 2006 at 1:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sambruno

I thought the show was mildly entertaining and will watch the next season (even tho I thought Major Victory got the Major Shaft!!!!)

October 08 2006 at 6:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fred

It had a dumb but goofy charm that worked on me, up until the moment I confirmed that the participants were all (or very nearly all) actors playing a part. Then the ridiculously staged elements of it became less endearing and pretty pointless. I stopped watching two or three episodes before the end, and I'm really surprised by the renewal.

October 07 2006 at 8:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MrC

I was pleasantly suprised by the first season. Obviously there are no superpowers, so the challenges the contestants faced were more tests of the personality qualities of a superhero (bravery, moral compass, etc). It was quite entertaining.

October 07 2006 at 5:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply