September 18, 2014

Desperate Housewives: A weekend in the country

by Jen Creer, posted Oct 9th 2006 7:44AM
Desperate Dougray Scott(S03E03) Okay, I am already getting tired of the inconsistency with this show: Either be a realistic show with some pithy insights into life, or be campy. Do you get to have it both ways? I guess so. But it drives me a little batty. Having said that, I will say, though, that even though I didn't watch the first two seasons (in the interest of full disclosure), that I'm now hooked on the show. Just because it's inconsistent doesn't mean it's not entertaining or compelling.

Not having watched the show in the previous seasons, I will say that I am surprised by how intelligent and well-spoken Gabrielle is. I am not sure what the point of bringing John back was unless it was just to show her that nobody really wants her anymore for more than one night-- so she might as well just get back together with Carlos. That divorce is not actually a nasty divorce, in my nasty divorce experience. Nasty divorces are a lot more nerve-wracking. You don't just unwind with a nice massage when you are really really angry. Take my word for it.

Considering the bad choices her character makes, I expected her to be more like a ditz... More like Edie. Does anybody like Edie? I don't really like Nicholette Sheridan, though I did think her hospital scene with Mike was entertaining.

I was thinking about the process of writing for a TV show earlier this evening, before I watched the show, and I was thinking about how hard it really must be to write good television week after week. I think there must be a team of writers for Desperate Housewives who write for each character, and I'd just like to say to the team in charge of Susan: Stop. It. Stop. It. I like Teri Hatcher. I like Dougray Scott. Please make them break up. Just write a show for Dougray. They are terrible together. They have no chemistry. Watching them in scenes together is painful. Please, make this storyline go away.

Am I the only person who actually likes Nora? My primary complaint is that she has far too many pithy insights for someone supposedly as unstable as she is. But hey, I don't know her whole story. And boy, did she zing Lynette tonight. Whoo!!! When Lynette asks why Tom would tell Nora about his hatred for all things advertising rather than telling Lynette, Nora fixes her with the evil eye and says, "Because you are the type of woman who, when someone mentions suicide, says, 'Go ahead.'" And Nora is absolutely right. Lynette accuses Nora of being manipulative. And this is accurate. But Lynette is passive/aggressive. Instead of just telling Nora, "I don't care if your daughter is up at the campsite. This does not give you the right to go up there. And it certainly doesn't give you the right to force your way into my car," she lets Nora bully her way into the car, and then proceeds to pick at her and berate her for eight hours. Lynette needs to grow a frakking spine and get that woman out of her marriage. Now. But unlike the Susan/Ian storyline, as much as I sit there and yell at Lynette for being such a passive/aggressive idiot, I really enjoy the interplay. Nora and Lynette actually do have chemistry-- and I think of them in terms of the character names, not the actor names.

Okay, Bree and Orson officially deserve each other-- IF he killed his wife. If he didn't, then Bree doesn't deserve him. Where is the angry Orson? Where is the guy who made his wife alphabetize the soup cans? Where is the control freak? He may have realized the honeymoon was over, but does he get pissed at Bree for her concern for her son? No. What does he do? He goes and finds Andrew, buys him lunch, and convinces him to come home (all! in one day! Gah! Can this show just try to be a little bit realistic about anything for one second?). So, where is creepy Orson? I mean, he could have paid off Andrew to disappear. That is what I thought he was going to do. He could have been nasty to Andrew. But he was decent. The only thing that disturbed me was his going to Andrew behind Bree's back after that bull about no more secrets-- but I am overlooking that. On purpose.

Oh, and Mike woke up. So, hopefully Ian will just go away now.

A couple of notes about last week's episode: According to ABC's Desperate Housewives website, Orson said, "I miss you, Monique," at the end of the last episode. And I'd just like to say that Gabrielle and Carlos DID NOT decide not to keep the baby. The baby had rightful parents who made a rightful claim to him.

nyepengan

October 28 2012 at 3:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nyepengan

October 28 2012 at 3:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sophie

I think Dougray Scott is fantastic too, but I am so bored with Susan.
Things will be interesting now that Andrew is home, I'm just waiting for Orsen to flip out and go psycho.

I've just finished making a quiz for this episode too. you can find it here:

October 11 2006 at 10:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jessyka

I actually enjoyed most of the scenes with Susan because she and Ian were fighting, and I'm rooting for Mike all the way. However, as soon as Susan told the guy on the phone "It's strictly platonic," I knew that either Mike or Ian's wife was going to wake up. I honestly hope that Susan will drop Ian and run into Mike's forgiving arms, but I seriously doubt that this will happen. After 2 seasons of the writers keeping them apart, I doubt they're gonna give in any time soon.
The big question on my mind is did Mike see that it was Orson who hit him with the car? Nothing in the previews pointed that way, but maybe we'll get a few surprises next week.
Also, was I the only one who was rooting for Bree to have another whack at Andrew? I swear, he accuses her of physical abuse, molestation, and sleeps with her boyfriend all to get her to hate him. Then he finally pushes her over the edge and he pulls a puppy face and accuses her of being a bad mother. While I'm not saying what she did was right, he feels no remorse for what he put his mother through.

October 09 2006 at 10:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pop Culture Diva

I think Gabby is the most underwritten of all the housewives. You want to like her but all you see is the spoiled side of her. Lynette is the most likable. Bree and Orson are perfect for each other but what are th chances of her hooking up with two crazies within 2 years of her husband dying. Susan is desperate. It's only been 6 months since Mike's been in a coma and she's off with another guy.

October 09 2006 at 2:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bebop

"Not having watched the show in the previous seasons, I will say that I am surprised by how intelligent and well-spoken Gabrielle is."

--What does that mean?!? I don't understand that assessment

What were you expecting her to be stupid because she's pretty?

From your reviews I have the feeling you really don't "get" this show. I'm going to make a strong suggestion that you rent the previous seasons so you can comprehend the mindset of the characters better and this includes watching the craptastic 2nd season.

October 09 2006 at 2:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mich

Orson couldn't have paid off Andrew to disappear or pretend he didn't find him, because Susan did that last season with Zach when Mike was looking for him. No one wants to see a repeated storyline this early in the season!

October 09 2006 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wendy

I can't stand any time that Susan and Ian get... I've always found scenes with Susan almost painful to watch, and this pairing makes it almost unbearable. I have hope now that Mike is coming out of the coma -- maybe things will get more interesting.

October 09 2006 at 1:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carol

You are absolutely right about Susan and Ian. BUT - let's keep Dougray around! He's wonderful. Honestly he runs circles around the Desperate crew when it comes to acting. Give him a different storyline! Hook him up with Garbrielle. Hell - hook him up with Lynette for all I care - just keep him on WITHOUT Susan! :)

October 09 2006 at 1:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Larry

I find any storyline involving Susan to be tedious. I actually found myself reading a magazine during the Susan scenes last night. Her character is essentially useless.

October 09 2006 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply