August 1, 2014

Dexter: Crocodile

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Oct 9th 2006 7:25AM

Lauren Vlez and Michael C. Hall in Dexter.

(S01E02) This show is just too cool. Everything about it is just so smooth and flashy and slick. Very slick. Just look at the opening title sequence. This is new since it wasn't attached to last week's pilot. It looked great. The way it incorporated blood into every aspect of Dexter's life? He wakes up being bitten by a mosquito. He cuts himself shaving. For breakfast, he even juices a very ripe blood orange. See? Slick.

Two episodes in and I really can't say anything bad about this show. It's wonderful. You shouldn't feel satisfied after watching a show about this subject matter, but you do and that's because it's done well. Look at this episode. It picks up where we left off, and if there had been any doubt in your mind, it's confirmed that the "Ice Truck Killer" will be the main focus for Dexter all season. As long as this killer keeps toying with Dexter... well, you know what I mean. The little details, like the painted fingernails on the doll and the actual ones found in the ice brick? Stuff like that works in two ways. It's not just exciting for Dexter. It's just as fun for us. Unlike a CSI or a Law and Order where you feel like you're just watching a mystery, with Dexter I feel like I'm part of it.

The way details are revealed is very well done. From the flashbacks to Dexter and his father to the way the regular story unfolds... good. Really good. Similar to the way the opening death sequences of Six Feet Under would relate to the subject of a particular episode, the father/son flashbacks seem to serve the same purpose. Dexter recalls moments with his old man that tie in to his current predicaments.

And the predicaments are as creative as they can get. We found out that Dexter likes his court dates because it gives him ample opportunity to scope out his next victim. This time? A drunk driver who's killed more than once. The writing and creative ideas can be much more subtle than that though. I loved the line where Dex went from describing a grisly murder to how much he loves bananas. Hilarious.

It's even better listening to Dexter analyze a crime scene. Take that cop who was pushed off the bridge. Tragedy, but as Dexter describes it, the looks on Angel's and LaGuerta's faces? Priceless. No one has any idea where Dex comes up with the things he says. The only one who doesn't seem to question his odd comments is Rita. But that might be because she's finally starting to realize she wants sex. Good luck with that one Rita. Anyone else find it slightly disturbing that Dexter has found a way to curb her sexual impulses? If Rita gets all kissy-kissy, Dexter simply dives right in and gets a little rough with her, forcing her to recall her abusive ex-husband. Suddenly, she's no longer interested. Kind of twisted, no?

This episode did introduce the one thing I've wanted: more conflict. I love the "Ice Truck Killer" but we need more stories and now we got 'em. Seems like Doakes will have his hands full as he tracks down the Cuban drug lord Carlos Guerrero. And now that Deb is homicide? I said it last week but now it's only a matter of time before she finds out what her brother really does.

OK, I lied by the way. I have one gripe. It's a tiny one. I took German for 7 years. Call me crazy for doing so... but as such, I don't speak Spanish. Plenty of people don't right? So why aren't there subtitles during scenes like the one between Angel and LaGuerta in the kitchen? What'd they say?

See, just a tiny one. But all in all. Wow. Oh, right and slick. Can't forget slick.

bill smith

For those who don't want a hint at who the Ice Truck Killer is DON'T read below.

The ice truck killer is a relative of Dexter's but not his sister or father. I can't remember was Dexter adopted?

November 13 2006 at 1:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Tucker

I seriously belive the Ice Truck Killer is the Sister...Sister does not have much of a social life, appears more flacky than she is, and has had oppourtunities to leave items around. Loved in eposode 2 when she wanted Ice from the frig at Dexter's appartment.

November 03 2006 at 11:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mickey Henry

I have not read the books. As far as who the ice cream truck killer, I would say that the sister its a good idea , but the police ltnt is a better suspect, me thinks(The african american woman).That is my guess. She said to him at one point " I'll catch ya later." She also hates Dexter's sister. She also has access to all Dexter's personal info including his past which hasn't been fully revealed. She also hates prostitutes.Who could get access to the hockey rink and get no suspition initially from the gaurd until her gun was pulled? She's sexually interested in Dexter because of what he is. She knows how to cover her tracks just like Dexter's father(a cop) showed him how to. She seemed troubled that the gaurd was still alive. Coincidence? Please tell me the holes in my logic. Thanks- Great show- I Love IT! Good Job

October 22 2006 at 11:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ana

I saw the second episode online too, now I have to wait until a DVD comes out. DAMN! I read the two books and know, who the ice truck killer is, but Dexter´s personality and his relationships are so interesting that it keeps me hooked. It´s a joy watching Michael C. Hall breathing life into this character - he´s astonishing, never boring and always "true"!

October 17 2006 at 10:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jay

I don't have cable so I watch Dexter episodes online on Showtime's website. Their flash movie player is way better than the other TV networks' players. Showtime shows the episodes without commercial interruptions while ABC, CBS and others bombard you with loud commercials every 10-20 minutes or so. I can't wait to see Episode 3 of Dexter. I hope they make all episodes available online.

October 16 2006 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John M, Santa Barbara

This show is based on two wonderful books (the first one was called darkly dreaming dexter). First off...as far as theories go as to who the ice cream killer is...do i get in trouble for saying if anyone is right or wrong?

As someone who is an avid reader AND tv watcher, let me just say Michael C Hall is absolutely BRILLIANT casting. My biggest concern when the show was announced was who would be cast as dexter (and secondly, that they'd tv it up and make it 'nicer').

Dexter is an incredibly inventive character, and after two episodes, even though i know the 'punch line'...it's abso-friggin-lutely brilliant.

October 13 2006 at 10:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mosh

Just want to add this show so cool. Can't wait for it to air in the UK and see the british reaction to it. So many good drama shows coming from the US. The only really decent show we exported recently from the UK was Life on Mars last year.

October 12 2006 at 11:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Denise

Do you want me to tell you who the ice truck killer is? Because anyone who has read the Dexter books (like me) knows.... heh. There is some backstory that you have not been given on the show at this point in time but it will come to you soon, I think. But then again, depending on how they provide it, you may completely miss it. I can give you a hint if you like.

When I first read this review, I hadn't seen the episode so I was confused by the wish for sub-titles. Now that I've seen it, I agree - I need sub-titles, or to grab the darn book and see if they help us out a bit there (though I do not remember that particular scene from the book - probably because it wasn't any big deal to the plot).

I adore Dexter and if you like him, you should really consider reading the books - though that will give away the ice truck murder. The books are even better than the show - and that is saying something because the show is excellent.

October 11 2006 at 11:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sharon

Showtime had a free preview weekend, and I watched Dexter -- having seen all of the 'critics call it the best show on TV this fall' advertisements.

Wow. My husband and I were shocked and appalled. Right after the credits, we looked at each other and said whoa this looks bizarre -- should we turn it off now? But that 'best new show on TV' buzz convinced me that it surely could not be as perverted as the credits made it appear to be....boy was I a fool. Yes, it could.

A TV show about a serial killer. The 'TV critics' who think this is great must be real sick puppies.

Not worth the price (free) I paid to watch it. (And Weeds was also terrible and raunchy and tacky). The free sample of Showtime convinced me that I am far too civilized to ever consider subscribing to Showtime.

October 10 2006 at 5:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marco Garbelini

One more here. The show is fantastic. The best new thing out there hands down.

I like the sister-killer theory, it makes lot's of sense and would be really cool.

October 10 2006 at 10:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply