December 20, 2014

Which couple is most annoying on The Amazing Race?

by Anna Johns, posted Oct 9th 2006 6:26PM
most annoying couplesA quick promo/contest/text message type thing appeared near the end of The Amazing Race last night, asking viewers to vote for 'Most Annoying Couple' on The Amazing Race. I found this funny because the show always tended toward positive votes, like 'VIP' for the episode. But not last night. I thought it was a great question that was worth more than just a text message... it's worth an all-out discussion, people!

The three candidates for 'Most Annoying Couple' were David and Mary, Sarah and Peter, and Rob and Kimberly. They all definitely lead the pack for 'Most Annoying'. (I'd show pictures of them, but CBS' website doesn't have any!)

Let's break it down after the jump, and you'll see who I find most annoying. Feel free to chime in down in comments.

David and Mary: Let's face it, Mary's voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard. You can't listen to too much of her without your ears bleeding. Poor David never gets a word in edgewise and that's too bad because he actually seems like a rather thoughtful fellow. His emotions were running very high when they first arrived in Vietnam (because his dad fought in the Vietnam war) and Mary didn't seem to notice. But that could just be artful editing on the part of the show's producers. Despite Mary's Deliverance-style twang and her harping on her husband, these two are just too sweet to despise. They've barely ever been out of Kentucky and they really seem to be marveling at their whirlwind trip across the country. Plus, they haven't done anything to step on the toes of any other couple. They've even become tight with the 'Gay Couple', Tom and Jerry Terry, who also happen to be the first gay people they've ever known. I don't think they'll win but I definitely want them to finish higher than the other two couples on the 'Most Annoying' list.

Rob and Kimberly: These two are completely immature in their relationship. When the going gets tough, they lash out at each other instead of directing their energies toward the task at hand. There's always a couple like this, isn't there? Rob has zero patience, which seems to be a hot button issue for Kimberly. Every single task they take part in dissolves into fighting and bitching and blaming... and it's damn hilarious. I don't hate them, I laugh at them. Out loud. I'm waiting for them to break out into a fist fight (or, maybe it already happened but it was edited out?). How are they a couple? I have no freakin' idea. I'm pretty sure this race is going to split them up, unless they figure out how to work together. Still, they are not worthy of the 'Most Annoying' title.

Peter and Sarah (WINNER!!): I am most annoyed by this couple. Actually, by Peter. What a LOSER. What is Sarah doing with this guy? This last episode showed her wondering the same thing. She only has one leg and she doesn't bitch and complain about it. Amazingly, she has powered through two very tough, rock climbing challenges (her life story is remarkable). Sarah is a very clear thinker who sees that she's doing most of the work for her team. Peter, on the other hand, is a complete idiot. He tries to pull the 'handicapped' card with her all the time to get ahead in the race. His constant, fake encouragement of her is maddening. And last night he was a complete hypocrite as Sarah tried to encourage him at rowing, he asked her not to speak. WTF? He wouldn't shut up during the rock climbing challenge long enough for Sarah to hear the directions. Sarah, on the other hand, has amazing patience. She is a one-woman team with a loser for a partner. I have to say that Peter is the most annoying person on this season of The Amazing Race, and poor Sarah is along for the ride, which makes them 'Most Annoying Couple' in my book.

Who do you find 'Most Annoying' on The Amazing Race 10? (It can be someone not listed here)

CMS

I like Sarah, I hate Peter. Hating half the couple doesn't cut it.

I absolutely DESPISE both Rob and Kimberly. If I hear that woman say "babe" one more time... I think "babe" must be code for "I hate you so much it hurts." Ugh.

Team Mutual Loathing gets my vote.

October 11 2006 at 2:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pev

I agree that Sarah & Peter are the most annoying...but for the opposite reason. Sarah's constant hypocrisy kills me. Sarah does a fine job of blaming Peter for everything that goes wrong; do you ever see Peter blame Sarah when there's a problem? She'll do the Mirna/Charla thing of saying 'Oh, I'm here to prove that I can do the same things anyone else can do!' but then, the next minute, trying to use her handicap to get special treatment.

On the ascender wall (just as on the previous rock climb), she stopped -repeatedly-, wailing, 'I -can't-! I -can't- do it!'. Peter patiently encouraged her on. Later, when Peter was rowing, he expressed the same kind of frustration...and because of that Sarah said, to the cameras, that she didn't want to be in a relationship with him because he was a quitter. W. T. F???

That said, I tend to be careful about making judgements off clips of what people say. In TAR4, there were many clips of Kelly and Jon saying things like, 'Hurry up, you don't want to get beaten by a -gay- guy!'. This sounded very offensive when TAR aired...but in truth, Kelly/Jon and Reichen/Chip were all good friends, and it was perfectly good-natured teasing. Editing can make things look worse than they are.

October 10 2006 at 10:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

Oh, and it was Tom & Terry not Tom & Jerry. Tome & Jerry were the cat and mouse respectively.

October 10 2006 at 2:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

I like Sarah, I think she's smart and plucky and the sort of person who goes for it. She's not a quitter What I hate is that she's partnered with Peter. Peter is annoying in the way that he cheers Sarah on incessantly but at the first sign of difficulty is saying "I don't want to do this anymore." There's a reason why Sarah climbed the cliff face - because Peter did the fish eyes, the archery and the flower selling and neither partner can do no more than half of the Roadblocks.

And yet I can't call them the most annoying team. Lyn & Karlyn have been annoying me since the race began.In part it's the attitude they have. They're sort of the "anti-Mary" in that they have about as much joy when it comes to doing the Race as a sea sponge. They aren't enjoying the places they're going to or the things they're getting the chance to do. For them it's all about the money. I feel like they're vindictive too. They don't like Sarah because her leg means that at least on some occasions she and Peter get to go onto the plane first. And they were happy that Dustin cut her leg when the Pageant Queens "stole" the boat that was "theirs". So it's all that and comparing everything to childbirth (without anesthetic) that earns them my vote for most annoying.

October 10 2006 at 2:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hrk

Why aren't T&T on that list? While Peter wins the contest hands down, I think Tom would be my 2nd choice. He's just so overly camp and he never shuts up.

October 10 2006 at 12:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wgb

I don't really care for Peter but Sarah is incredibly annoying. Its always "my leg! my leg!". This week, for example, why would you do a physical Road Block? You got 1 leg for crying out loud! I'm sure her story is amazing blah blah but enough is enough. Sheesh!

October 09 2006 at 10:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mr. Mike

Peter and sarah definitely. Anyone else think peter seems kind of gay? I remember in an earlier episode when peter was encouraging her he said "you go sister!!!" The usual couples use words like hun and babe. Not a big deal but he just seems a little extra fruity

October 09 2006 at 9:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

I agree, after last night's episode, I'm sick of Peter. Even one of the other teams said what we were all thinking, why isn't Peter doing the climb.

Thanks for the link to her website, she's amazing. I admire her even more now after seeing that.

October 09 2006 at 7:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BartmanDK

Sarah and Peter too like you, and pretty much for the same reasons as you.. I really dont get what he's doeing with that douchbag.. Even in the first episodes when Sarah's "leg" was broken she dident really complain but Peter sure did, even enough for both of them!!

October 09 2006 at 6:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply