October 20, 2014

Malik Yoba joins new Jeff Goldblum drama

by Bob Sassone, posted Oct 10th 2006 2:16PM

Malik YobaFormer Thief star Malik Yoba will return to TV on the new Jeff Goldblum drama for NBC, Raines. He'll play the former partner of Goldblum's detective character.

Oh, what's this one about? It's about a guy who solves crimes by...speaking to the dead! What an original concept!

Seriously, what's up with that? Medium isn't enough? And Ghost Whisperer? And doesn't the guy on The Dead Zone see people who are dead? Heck, even the blonde on Cold Case sees a "ghost" of the victim at the end of every episode.

I don't remember Columbo or Banacek or Barnaby Jones having to talk to the dead to solve crimes.

Brendon Carr

Anybody here still mourning Tenspeed & Brownshoe?

October 12 2006 at 9:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jerri

Aside from "My Boys", "Raines" is THE WORST TV pilot of the year. The plot is boring and predictable' the dialogue is plain bad and Goldblum looks like he was forced to be in it. The series doesn't have a single original bone in it's' body

October 11 2006 at 6:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carissa

I love Jeff Goldblum, and having him on television is a good thing, regardless of what the show may sound like to start. His witty sarcasm should play very well on the small screen these days.

Banacek - my lovely, Polish Banacek. Was just thinking about him this weekend while my boyfriend immersed himself in an A-Team marathon.

October 10 2006 at 3:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Smith

You should get your facts right before publishing articles like this. Goldblum doesn't speak to the dead really, it's not Medium or Ghost Whisperer style at all. He doesn't have any special powers, nor are they ghosts, basically, he's crazy.

All the victims he sees are all in his head, it's merely a representation of his brain working through the clues and reaching conclusions. Therefore, they don't know anymore than he does, which in the pilot episode is very well executed. He worries that he's going mad throughout, and it's all a lot of fun right from the get go.

It's also very film noir, Goldblum is great, and it's actually far more original than you might think from the quick synopsis.

October 10 2006 at 3:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Douglin

Oh, I just read a review at imdb and the person says the "dead people" are just figments of the Goldblum character's imagination, they only know what he knows and don't disappear till he solves the case. That sounds a bit better, like 'Monk' crossed with 'An American Werewolf in London' maybe?

October 10 2006 at 3:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Douglin

The Dead Zone doesn't see dead people he just sees the future.

Man I was looking forward to this before I knew it had the whole "supernatural" angle. Hopefully Goldblum will be good in it anyway...

October 10 2006 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

Malik!
New York Undercover!
Best show ever!

October 10 2006 at 2:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

I think it all started with that snot-nosed, little Haley Joel Osment when he said, "I see dead people" and everyone thought it was a neat idea. I must disagree with you about Barnaby Jones. He was sooooo old he *had* to be seeing ghosts.

Really though, I'll refer you to one of my losing tv ailments from the Scrubs contest: Telemimicry: Also sometimes referred to as "Bandwagonitis"
http://www.tvsquad.com/2006/09/11/tv-squad-contest-invent-a-tv-condition-celebrate-scrubs-in-syn/3#comments Check #50 for a full description.

It was a losing entry and we find ourselves in the midst of several epidemics of it. Oh, the irony!!

October 10 2006 at 2:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply