October 21, 2014

Monk finally meets his father

by Adam Finley, posted Oct 11th 2006 10:59AM
dan hedayaMark your calendar's, Monk fans. On November 17, a special holiday episode of the popular USA series will reunite the obsessive compulsive germaphobe crime fighter with his estranged father, a man Monk hasn't seen in forty years. Monk's long lost father will be played by actor Dan Hedaya, a name you might not recognize, but you'll probably recognize his face. He's one of those "oh that guy" actors. Well, if you remember Nick Tortelli from Cheers, you know who I'm talking about. As if I even had to mention it, Monk's father is mixed up in a crazy mystery and needs his son's help. You know, otherwise it wouldn't exactly be an episode of Monk, would it? The series returns with weekly episodes in January of 2007.

Michael Moncur

Hate to break it to you, Karen, but many TV Squad readers aren't media junkies at all. I'm glad the staff of TVS are junkies, but I'm willing to let them do it for me while I just enjoy TV.

I've never heard the name "Dan Hedaya" but if you had said "Nick Tortelli" I would have instantly known.

I'm sorry I'm not worthy to be a reader. I'll enjoy the site while I can, before they keep me away with some kind of reader worthiness test.

November 21 2006 at 5:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Wow. If anyone who reads this site isn't enough of a media junkie to recognize Dan Hedaya's name--not just from a host of TV roles such as Nick Tortelli, but a bunch of movie roles such as the father in "Clueless" and Nixon in "Dick--then they aren't worthy to be readers. He's WAY beyond "Hey, it's that guy!" status--as even the mavens at "Hey! It's That Guy!" seem to believe:

October 11 2006 at 6:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason

Who doesn't remember him from "The Addams Family" movie?

October 11 2006 at 5:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

Justin,

I'd be willing to bet a lot of people only recognize Mr. Hedaya's face and not his name. My wife, for instance, would instantly remember him from Cheers, but she's not good with names so she'd be one of those "oh that guy" people Adam described. Not everyone can be a wonderful TV geek like us!

October 11 2006 at 2:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

Who doesn't recognise Dan Hedaya's name?

October 11 2006 at 11:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
majors2

I was just thinking yesterday how I missed Monk on Friday nights. I'm really looking forward to this episode.

October 11 2006 at 11:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

I always envisioned Judd Hirsch or Hal Linden as Monk's father. But this should work. I think Hedaya will have to be aged a bit in the role. Can't be too many years between them, is there?

October 11 2006 at 11:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

Wow, I don't think I've seen that actor since Cheers was on the air. I can't wait for that holiday episode and the way Monk will react to seeing his father, it should be fun.

October 11 2006 at 11:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply